Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,308,154 times

Advertisements

It's not that we don't know of places similiar to Oahu's North Shore...it's just that no town on the Big Island completely matches with a discription of the North Shore.

I've DM'd you some thoughts, but for the sake of others reading the forum, here's my take:

North Shore, Oahu is a place you love, if you do, generally because it's more "country", has access to great surfing and has a small community flavor, but with plenty to do if you want a dinner out or a walk through a shopping "strip".

On the Big Island, in my opinion, the Kona area is most like the North Shore, but not a perfect match. That said, I would think very carefully about a move to Kona right now because of the impact of the Vog. The area is being pretty hard hit by it.

Other alternatives are Hawi, Waikoloa and Waimea..maybe even as far as Honokaa. All of these areas have a unique community feel, each a bit different from the other. If you get much farther away from the Kohala coast, you can find beach access and a few surf spots, but Hilo and Puna are not much like the North Shore of Oahu. Again, that's my opinion....for what it's worth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM

17 posts, read 63,558 times
Cool thanks for that. I know they are opinionated questions. Thanks for your help. I'm not a huge shopper, I just enjoy a lively small community thats friendly. I don't like huge crowds, and I don't like nobody around. Its the feel like you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island