Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

100 posts, read 336,177 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My daughter and I will be moving to Hilo (in town) in January, 2009, and I had a few questions about transportation. I will have to move without my car for a while until I am either able to ship it or buy another one, so I am trying to figure out other ways of getting around for a while. My boyfriend lives there, but I don't want to always have to rely on him, as we will be living in different homes, and I am rather independent in that sense.
I know there is a public bus system, though its not at all what we have here (in Illinois), so I am prepared for that. Are things close enough together to walk to a lot of places? What about bike riding? I was thinking of getting my daughter and I bikes soon as we get there so we are at least a little more mobile, but I have hear there a lot of hilly areas...is it so much that bike riding would be too difficult? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,618,176 times
There are a few older neighborhoods close to downtown: Villa Franca, Waiakea Houselots, Wainaku. most of the rest of the city is much like towns on the west coast, spread out and suburban, "car friendly". A long walk to anywhere.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,147,228 times
There are not many flat spots on this island since it is a sloping volcanic island. Some areas of Hilo might be bike friendly and some areas might be close enough to stores to walk to them. Hilo is pretty big, though, and it does rain quite a bit, too.

When the powers that be set up the land use in Hawaii gasoline was cheap so everyone is expected to get everywhere by car. Most housing areas are nothing but houses for miles which is nice and quiet for living in the houses but not so good for getting supplies such as groceries.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 PM

67 posts, read 270,235 times
Im also moving close to hilo in january. It might be a good idea if you got a moped. They are cheap enough and get good gas mileage. Good luck on the move.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info...I do like the moped idea, but are they big enough for two? I have a ten year old daughter. I believe I am going to be about a mile and a a half from the farmers market (not the one downtown), so I was thinking a bike would help. However, I think I will have my boyfriend check the area out to see how steep the hills are around there. Thanks for your help!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM

The only other farmer's market other than the one downtown is the Makuu market over in Puna isn't it? Or the one in Keaau? Unless you are within three to five miles of Hilo airport, you are not in Hilo anymore.

Only one person per moped, you'd have to get a motorcycle or motor scooter before you could carry passengers.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 PM

The farmers market on Kinoole St is the one I'm talking about. It's a smaller one. I'll be on Haihai st (I think..can't find the address right at this moment).
I suppose the moped is out...cant see myself driving one anyway haha.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 AM

67 posts, read 270,235 times
You should drive your car to san diego and ship your car over for $1000. Thats what we are doing because it sure beats buying one with problems for more than you can get one at home.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM

I am going to ship my car eventually, but am unable to do it for a few months. My dad is going to be driving it for a little while, so I will be without a car for a few months. Just trying to figure out other ways until that time. Again, you all are such a big help and I really love this site! Mahalo!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Farmer's market on Kinoole street isn't pulling up any sites in my mind but maybe it is a new one. We get to the one on Mamo street along Bayfront about three times a year since we live pretty far out of town.

If you are on Haihai street that is close enough in town that you will be able to use a bicycle to get around. The bus system doesn't do much in town it is mostly for getting folks from outlying areas into town for jobs. It does go from one side of town to the other but bicycles would also work since you are in town itself. There will be hills and you will probably have to push the bike up and down a few hills but the bike can carry the groceries while you are pushing it along.

Yard sales are a good place to get bicycles. Actually, yard sales are a good place to get a lot of household stuff and since it is now Saturday morning, I'd better get out there and see what this week's yard sales have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island