Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times

Advertisements

There is no way to tell how you will do in the vog other than give it a go. I am really easily set off by it.. I get an imediate headache eyes burn sinus issues and some lung affects. I don't do well in it. A family member came over in April to see if she could handly the vog. Due to some health issues thought it would really affect her. She did better than me! Jan spent most my time on the Kona side - while in April it got real thick even in Hilo and Pahoa which was new to me.Depends on the trade winds... again Pele does as she pleases. It is enough of an issue to give me pause of when and where to puchase a place. However I have talked to many tousists in Kona asking them what do they think of the vog and I was amazed at how many answer "What vog? Oh didn't notice it. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
In answer to your original question,people move to the Big Island in search of affordable housing. It's not to everyone's taste (including mine.). Be sure to check out the other islands before committing to the Big Island. And good luck with your move!.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
I wouldn't say affordable housing is the only reason. I personally need more room and the big island provides that. I do say check out the other islands but BI isn't only because of affordable housing. and thank god it isn't everyones taste.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
My middle son has asthma and on every trip, he doesn't use any of his meds, including his inhaler... He gets back home and has to start back up on them.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
people move to big island and the prices remain high becuase when the trade wind blows the vog out you have paradise! easy the vog even drifts over the entire island chain from time to time. talk to Pele

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
How does the Hamakua Coast fare with vog?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,579 times
ususally it is only the kona/south kohala coast that gets vog. more rarely other parts of the island. more rare than that it is other islands. in kona specifically, sometimes it's there for weeks at a time, in varying levels and sometimes it's gone for weeks at a time. vog is natural, it's not your LA pollution, so no matter the level, i do not mind it. it's the island doing it's thing that it needs to do. if someone loves hawaii and wants to move here and vog is their only reason not too, i really don't believe they are meant to be here anyways. out of all the things the big island offers, it's rediculous to me to think that vog could scare a normal person with no respiratory problems away. there is so much more than air quality and affordable housing here (the later being a real plus) that i chose to move here because of the abundance of different things to do, i'll never be bored, i'll never run out of places to adventure. if i can live in paradise and there's one natural draw back that isn't guarenteed or really that bad when it's bad, so be it!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,312 times
Default VOG North Kohala

The last post mentioned VOG is prevalent in North Kona and South Kohala. From looking at the trade winds depiction for the Big Island it would seem that the Kona Winds usually don't reach North Kohala and that the normal northeasterly trade winds would tend to keep the VOG away. Does anyone have any reports if this is true? I plan to visit the Big Island in December and am really interested in observing the effects of VOG.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,579 times
yes, from my expirience of going to kohala beaches a lot, noth kohala is usually crystal clear of it. south kohala may get some, but usually not a lot.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
We are on the island now - living in Nanawale Estates. My son with asthma stopped taking all his meds (Advair, Singulair) while we were driving thru Nebraska last Tuesday (today is Saturday). He has gone jogging each morning since we arrived on the island and been swimming, etc. He has yet to use his inhaler. He used to use it several times per day.

I, however, Mr. No Health Issues, have had a 2 day long headache and I normally get about 1 headache per year - generally around Jan 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island