Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 49,791 times

Advertisements

Aloha

Am looking for advice/opinions on the best type of car for the Big Island.

4x4?
2Wheel Drive?
Standard sedan?

Am making plans to either move permanently to Big Island or at least own home where I can have extended stays. Am looking to move to/near Leilani Estates but am not 100% sure yet which area (Puna, Keeau etc.) but am definatley going to choose Big Island.

So as far as a general car for everyday use what would you think is the best. How much driving does everyone do? Am an avid beach go-er and outdoor person and like getting out there.

I was tinkng about a Jeep or a Toyota FJ Cruiser... any thoughts, comments and experiences are welcomed!

ManaMark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Folks do drive a lot because there aren't many other options, so gas mileage is really important. At the moment gas prices are down, but they aren't going to stay that way. A roof rack on whatever you get will allow you to carry kayaks and stuff easily.

We usually have two vehicles although one of them doesn't get driven much at all. One vehicle is always a 4WD so we can get to some of our friends' houses which are off in the back beyond. The other vehicle is usually good for carrying cargo and passengers since we are always moving people and things around. Sometimes we have a 4WD pickup, at the moment the 4WD is a small Suzuki SUV 4WD although that is going to be replaced with a Subaru station wagon 4WD pretty soon. The other vehicle is a ratty Dodge van, with gets pretty good gas mileage for it's size and it can hold a lot of stuff.

We always get a vehicle that has a lot of the same ones around so if we need parts they will be available from a junkyard. Oh, they are "salvage" yards these days, aren't they? Used cars are probably the best since nobody is impressed with new ones anyways. You can park an old '50's pickup next to a Ferrari and the pickup will get more attention.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to get something really small that gets really good gas mileage. Some of the old Honda Accords used to get 35 mpg and that was before the "hybrids" were around. Anyway, something small and then put a trailer hitch on it to tow a small trailer with an ATV on it. Then you can go holoholo anywhere pretty cheap so you can go all the time.

Check Craig's List to see what's available and get something dependable with parts available on island.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Lots of folks in my neighborhood have small pickups. I do. We're always hauling something, propane, water, cinders, plants, lumber. With Puna's cinder & rocky roads 4WD isn't as important as high ground clearance, especially in really wet weather like we're having now.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 12-28-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Thanks You guys are awesome

LeilaniGuy and HotzCats
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I was looking to bring over my Volvo XC Wagon it has All wheel drive and decent height clearance.

Also wanted to bring over my FJ Cruiser, that will get me to just about anywhere I'll need to go I guess. I just wasn't sre if I needed a truck so I may reconsider getting something over there as well.

LeilaniGuy: You live in Leilani Estates? That is a neighborhood I am interested in looking for a place. How long have you lived there?

HotzCatz: Where on Big Island are you?

Am looking to move late 2009 early 2010 and go back and forth from CA to Hawaii. I have started an online orchid business and will have a base in Hawaii and CA

Thanks Again!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM

If you are doing orchids, Hilo side is the place to be. Are these orchid plants or cut orchids? We have a few around here but they mostly just live in the trees in the yard. Sometimes when they bloom we bring them inside otherwise we ignore them and they seem happy enough in the ohia.

I'm halfway between Hilo and Waimea and sort of around the corner from Carmela Orchids if that helps any.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 PM

I've been in Leilani since 1999. I'm at the top, in the old growth rainforest.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
yep. we made to puna on the 18th and finally got internet service and satellite tv. geez there's a waiting period for all these things including a land line. so if you're thinking of moving, try to set up your utilities before you get here.

with that thought, out next vehicle will definitely be something in the 4wd or pickup variety. our vw passat is great on PAVED roads, but to travel 1.4 miles on our gravel road, it takes app. 10 minutes. hm? a horse and carriage?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Thanks again guys

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes Hotzcatz I will be on the Hilo side for the orchid biz. The biz will be live orchid plant sales online. Can't wait!

Leilaniguy: How does Leilani compare to Puna or HPP or Hilo etc.?

Mark

Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM

Hi Mark. You've never been here, have you? Puna is the entire southeast part of the island. Leilani is in Puna, so is HPP. Leilani is wetter, farther from Hilo than HPP. Hilo is the closest thing to a city on B.I. It's just north of the Puna district.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Hilo isn't much of a city but it's a great town. Bit damp around the edges generally but that makes for great green growies.

Are you growing the orchids yourself or will you be needing to buy orchids to sell? I have some friend who grow and sell them, too. They buy orchids, too, although they don't tissue culture them. Carmela does tissue culture and they have what looks like five acres of orchids at one of their locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island