Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 35,549 times

Advertisements

Charter flight Seattle -Kona on Feb 26, charter, one way, pets in cabin.
If you want to go with pets Kona quarantine people need no less than 2 weeks before your pet's arrival to issue a certificate for direct release at Kona airport, they cannot do faster.
Who wants to share this flight with us please send me PM.
We have one dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Default Flight to Hawaii on Feb 26, pets in cabin

Charter flight Seattle -Kona on Feb 26, one way, pets in cabin.
Not with DogTravel.
Who wants to share this flight with us [with your pets, without pets] please send me PM. asap
We have one dog. It was not easy to find one way to Kona flight with 3 weeks before departure. The plane can make a stop in Honolulu. If you depart from CA there is option for that too.
If you want to go with pets Kona quarantine people need no less than 2 weeks before your pet's arrival to issue a certificate for direct release at Kona airport, they cannot do faster.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
What kind of cost does this have? I think many people would like to know. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:40 AM

Default costs

Pricing completely depends on how many passengers share the flight. One member here flew with DogTravel club (shared flight) recently from CA, 2,500 per seat, the lowest LA - Honolulu price I know of. One-way flight costs much less than whole flight ( whole flight: A - B - A; you pay one-way A- B without paying for B-A if somebody else books B - A; another name for one-way is empty leg ) . One more thing with planning a charter flight when you plan to fly to Hawaii with your first-time-enter-Hawaii pets, and you want your pets to be released to you at an airport: you must get permission [certificate/direct release program] from Hawaii Quarantine station; quarantine station needs time to issue the certificate, arrival date will be in the certificate (arrival date is up to you, you tell them when you want to arrive), and if cost of a charter flight is an issue you have to multitask to lower your expenses: find cheaper one way, find enough people to share the cost (one way is expensive too), and have enough time to get the certificate before departure. 3 weeks before departure is rare find for one-way. People to share flight: start looking for them now: dog club, travel blogs, charter companies.

Last edited by sonia s; 02-07-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Default pets quarantine

To get the certificate/direct release program/ - website:
Animal Quarantine Branch — Hawaii Department of Agriculture, http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs

Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 AM

Default pets quarantine

If you have pets with you:
Direct release at an airport program, direct release at Honolulu airport and neighbor islands: your pets do not need to go to the quarantine facility for quarantine, if you meet all the quarantine laws requirements; it is relatively easy: go on the website Animal Quarantine Branch — Hawaii Department of Agriculture [http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs]
, print the requirement, bring it to your pets' vet, your vet will vaccinate your guys, take blood for lab test, send their blood to one of the mainland's lab, the labs check blood and send result to your vet; if the result is right, you send the papers to Honolulu station (if you plan to fly to Honolulu) or neighbor island designated vet clinics (other HI Islands), their phone numbers on the website, they will issue a certificate for direct release at an airport, read a checklist for a direct release. The blood work takes time, 120 days waiting period.
Regarding pet flights in-cabin, some commercial airlines allow to bring a small pet in-cabin, so, you only need a charter if to fly your pets in cargo is not an option and if you cannot fly them in cabin of commercial flights.

Last edited by sonia s; 02-07-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 03:13 AM

Default lower costs

One more option to lower charter costs for a family: if it is a shared charter flight : one spouse accompanies pets on a charter, another spouse flies a commercial, a commercial is cheaper.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
How do you arrange these types of flights on your own? What service do you use?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
How do you arrange these types of flights on your own? What service do you use?
You contact a jet charter service. They will broker the trip to see what's available and shoot you a price. Hawaii is a bit unusual since unlike the mainland where you can fly from Alaska to Argentina in a single engine airplane, Hawaii has many miles of water with no airports enroute so the aircraft has to be certified to travel that over water distance non-stop.

You are paying for that aircraft for the total time you are using it including any cost to reposition it, return to the mainland, and forced overnight stays. And you pay all landing, departure, ground service, ramp service, taxes and fees.

A strange side effect of the current economic situation is many jets are sitting idle so the cost per hour has become very competitive, but with less flights comes less chances of finding a charter where you're not the sole charterer for the entire roundtrip.

Cost really depends on your ability to fill the capacity of the aircraft. Empty seats are paid for by those with seats. And you have to match the final capacity with the aircraft and cost breakpoint. Although you can get smoking deals on 40 passenger charters, if you only have 12 people paying for the whole thing, they had better be rich. I have some ballpark figures based on various scenarios.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,906 times
Hi, I am moving to Hawaii with my 3 dogs and my boyfriend. I don't want to put the dogs into cargo on a commercial flight. I can't figure out if the quarantine people REQUIRE the animals to be in cargo or if I can find either a charter flight or a commercial flight and take the dogs on board. I am not ready to go Feb 26 but would really be grateful to you for any information. Thank you very much! What company did you use to charter a plane? Will the Hawaii Agriculture Quarantine people accept your pets coming in on board??

_Abigail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island