Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times

Advertisements

One reason could be that the Hawaii Tribune Herald covers a main circulation area in excess of 2,000 square miles. A house in Peepekeo wouldn't interest a person looking in Volcano. Or a person looking in Hilo wouldn't care what's available in Paauilo. Since there are only two papers one on the east and one on the west sides they cover huge areas and many ads simply list the closest big community even if 200 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Sorry Hilobound it has been somewhat difficult.. Hope it all works out for you.....

As far as the internet showing houses and when you get to the house- it can be a very differnt world! I agree wouldn't do any long term lease within the first couple of months because it can vary after the rose colored glasses come off. You never know who is the rock band next store or the many chickens (although don't mind chickens) or fill in blank.....

It all looks really good on the internet. And you are coming at the best time I believe but in HI priorties and things just change..... no way to explain it till your there- unless you have tons of $$ to blow- it is just differnt and you change or you leave. You will understand after a couple of months.

The easiest way I can explain is each area calls to you. You want to live there or your miserable in area if you force it. Don't really know how to explain it more than that.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Some of the chicken ranches are 100% roosters and a bit noisy for neighbors. Other folks just keep hens, those are the folks you want to live next to since there will probably be REALLY fresh eggs available and hens don't make much noise.

The housing areas in Hawaii are not homogenized. In one area you will have some really nice houses and some really, um, well, "houses of character" let's call them. So, you have to go out and look at the houses next to the house you are looking at online since they could be completely different than the one they are next to.

Each area has a different feel to it and you can't see that online.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
I have a question - those houses that have the cars that grow plants in them out front! I thought it was funny they used a car as a planter - I am now just realizing nobody planted anything did they!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Cool, I'll go ahead a get a Hawaiian Airlines account - guess I should since we are flying them anyway out of Oakland...

I won't do hard-core off-roading in a CR-V though. Just light mud, sand etc. I would LOVE to talk the wife into a real Jeep though. Hmmmmm... But honey, We NEED a Jeep.
Yes you need a Jeep with a 3" lift kit and big tires. Then you can go just about anywhere. Lots of them for sale right now too so you can probably get a decent used one for a very good price. I want the new 4 door Jeep! Rented one a couple of times and loved it.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I have a question - those houses that have the cars that grow plants in them out front! I thought it was funny they used a car as a planter - I am now just realizing nobody planted anything did they!!!
Nope, if they do anything like that with a dead car in the yard it is generally to use it as a dog house. Eventually, the cars melt into the ground. It takes about fifteen years and then there is nothing left. We've watched one melt on Kilauea Avenue over the years and now there's nothing left there. For the longest time it was a bump with fenders - this was one of the old '40's cars with nice swoopy fenders.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Yes you need a Jeep with a 3" lift kit and big tires. Then you can go just about anywhere. Lots of them for sale right now too so you can probably get a decent used one for a very good price. I want the new 4 door Jeep! Rented one a couple of times and loved it.
Are you taking lots of people with you? Most folks get a 4WD pickup truck instead of a jeep since they need to carry stuff around while going off road. I guess a lot of them are hunters or have cattle, although a lot of them just like pickups. Jeeps seem so touristy, I guess.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Just the 4 of us. Oldest boy is staying in Illinois to go to school.
I actually like the older Jeep Cherokees. Rugged, durable, go like stink with that 4.0 litre 6 cylinder and cargo area is inside, unlike a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island