Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times

Advertisements

Make sure your drivers license is current. An expired license (even 1 day) means no license and you start from scratch.

Check the warranty of everything you'll be bringing. Make sure its valid in HI. Some may have in the tiny fine print that its valid on the mainland but not Hawaii and Alaska. If so, find out what to do for service. If it's some paid extended plan and not covered, see if you can get some type of pro rated refund. Also service everything before you come. Although Hi does have every service available, it may take time for some parts or to get an appoitment.

If you have leggal docs and such (wills, trust, etc) find out if they meet HI laws. If they need tweeking after arrival, have a lawyer lined up so it gets done sooner instead of never.

If you are bringing computers remember the salt air will shorten their life span, so keep a good backup. Think twice about that expensive electronics unless your willing deal with damage from the humidity.

Others mentioned the issue with specific brand names. Although the big stores do stock a good variety of products, it's not like walking into a Kroger and have 32 types of mustard, or 66 types of BBQ sauces, or all the 395 shades of hair color. So if you have the ability to send your family your normal monthly shopping list, they can let you know what is and isn't available. This way you won't be looking for something thats just not available. (and they can let you know what HI proces are for the items so you have a better picture of food cost)

Medical needs. Bring any prescriptions you need. HI law requires an original RX from a doctor, they can't refill off of refills. Or have your doctor write a new prescription and bring that with you. If you use a major chain like Walgreens, have them transfer the RX to the HI pharmacy before you leave. If you have any specioal durable supplies, line up a provider before hand. There could be a delay getting you setup or they may not have the item you need on hand.

When I find my old relocation paperwork, I'll go through the items they had listed and see what is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times
I can't say about car insurance, because we have a couple of accidents affecting our rates. In fact, we had one in Nebraska on the way out here, which was the 2d 'at fault' and therefore pushed our rates up. So comparing my NY rate to my HI rate would be apples-to-oranges.

Also your rate depends on so many things - even your credit rating! And what cars you have, ages of drivers, how many miles you drive, what island you're on. You say "full coverage" but what amount of liability coverage? What level of Uninsured/underinsured? etc. I really think the best thing is to go online and work up your own comparison.

I do know shopping around helps. I have heard from others that Geico has good rates out here.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Call Geico and use your relatives' address as the location the car is in and you should be able to get a valid estimate. Our cars are so old we never have more than the required insurance on them so I haven't a clue what full coverage would cost.

The deductible you mentioned is about the general value of our cars. If they get bent, we straighten them back out or just get another beater. Nobody really cares about the car you drive so it's not worth the extra money to get a fancy one. Reliable and useful is usually more important than style, although we do have one fun tiny red convertible - but even that one's monetary value is minor and it doesn't have full coverage insurance either.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
I shopped Gieco and AIG - My Farmers insurance on mainland not in HI....

I ended up (didn't want to but price) went with AIG... They charge more on the BI than other islands... AIG though will give you discounts - cuts up to half the orignial price if you have a HI bank account with Hawaiian airline miles on your debit card - you take to AIG they are located in the Walmart in Hilo or you can fax it - you can also get another discount if your present insurance has a saftey discount driver form they can fax to AIG..

As Hotzcatz said use your realitives address for mailing - and physical... I used a friends. They don't care as long as it is in HI....

I bought a Honda CRV all wheel drive - bought it for half the Blue Book price... Insurance is based on the vehicle, credit - etc as stated above. I got a higher coverage for accidents pip and uninsured motorist, towing - basically covered everything. The price was $900 for six months and just under $500 with the bank account and HI miles. You can get it cheaper but I just wanted the coverage.

Hope that helps - you can get the insurance also before accounts - and they will pro rate the price when they recieve the proof of HI debit card and mail you a check for the difference.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:55 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I shopped Gieco and AIG - My Farmers insurance on mainland not in HI....

I ended up (didn't want to but price) went with AIG... They charge more on the BI than other islands... AIG though will give you discounts - cuts up to half the orignial price if you have a HI bank account with Hawaiian airline miles on your debit card - you take to AIG they are located in the Walmart in Hilo or you can fax it - you can also get another discount if your present insurance has a saftey discount driver form they can fax to AIG..

As Hotzcatz said use your realitives address for mailing - and physical... I used a friends. They don't care as long as it is in HI....

I bought a Honda CRV all wheel drive - bought it for half the Blue Book price... Insurance is based on the vehicle, credit - etc as stated above. I got a higher coverage for accidents pip and uninsured motorist, towing - basically covered everything. The price was $900 for six months and just under $500 with the bank account and HI miles. You can get it cheaper but I just wanted the coverage.

Hope that helps - you can get the insurance also before accounts - and they will pro rate the price when they recieve the proof of HI debit card and mail you a check for the difference.
Thanks! Excellent info!
We already have AIG (now 21st Century Ins) so I'll call and get a quote. That is amazing on the discount info, too!

Funny - BOTH of our vehicles are Honda CR-V's. My in-laws even have 2 of them. Love the all-wheel drive system on them. I know it will come in handy on the Big Island. In the past when we visited, we always had full-size SUV's rented and took them everywhere (even where we were not supposed to).

Oh...What bank gives Hawaiian airline miles? I take it that you mean Hawaiian Airlines?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM

I believe they all do - I think - I don't like Credit Unions (just a personal issue) so I went with Bank of Hawaii - you only have to deposit $200 in account to activate- just have the statements emailed so address doesn't become a issue being I am bouncing around three states now - still use realitives for first start up. I got my Hawaiian air mile account on line first and just gave them the number for Debit card. Other wise they want to charge you a couple $ a month at the bank.

They suck for depositing though - wire transfers $40 dollars - when depositing $$ take a few days to 15 for funds to be available etc... I am keeping my regular account and use bill pay until I am there all the time. But it is a good deal when you use the card you get Hawaiian Airline miles or you can purchase air miles also.

Also I believe their is military discount if you can provide. Food land card - etc they will list everything to see if you qualify. I don't know if they will automaticaly do this in a mainland office but they do when you call in Hawaii...

As far as the CRV on the island... because of the exhuast system being exposed as it is - Allot of the off road driving is pretty much out..or plan on a new muffler system.. kinda a bummer for me but the vehicle was a 10 in condition straight from Honolulu never off road and a great price! - I have lived in logging towns in the mainland- skidder trails snow etc... and I gotta say - I have never off road drove till HI! Lava no give.... but it does get around good on the roads and some off road places...

Good luck! Glad I could help.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Cool, I'll go ahead a get a Hawaiian Airlines account - guess I should since we are flying them anyway out of Oakland...

I won't do hard-core off-roading in a CR-V though. Just light mud, sand etc. I would LOVE to talk the wife into a real Jeep though. Hmmmmm... But honey, We NEED a Jeep.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM

you should be able to credit your flight to your new account - ask at the airport when you board...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM

67 posts, read 269,771 times
moved to big island almost three months ago. I wouldnt worry about bringing a lot of bathroom products because walmart is very comparable to the mainland on most things. The place to live has been the hardest thing for us we first moved to HPP then to an apartment in hilo and now are about to move again. Its tough to know where you want to live within a couple months of being here. So try to live month to month for a few until you figure out the best places. we have friends that moved to great places and others wish they could leave tomorrow but are in a long term lease. dont commit until you know for sure because that can make or break a move to the island. Insurance i wouldnt go with AIG because well they can hardly run a company and might go under when you really need them. I went with state farm in hilo and i pay $1000 full coverage for a year on a chevy 2500 HD. Jobs? Well i have been here three month and havent yet found a job. I can be over qualified and it doesnt matter. I have applied for state jobs and management jobs and have come out empty. It is all about who you know and will be tough in any business unless you bring work with you. The housing situation again well we hoped to get a nice house for under $1200 plus utilities and we havent found it yet. Nice here is a little different than what it is on the mainland. But non-the-less i love it here or maybe its because im at the starbucks in hilo while my wife is working. I love to bike everywhere and wouldnt move out of hilo for anything well i hope we dont have to. Oh yeah we really like HFS credit union. WE checked out every major bank and these guys were the best and they have a lot of branchs on the big island and they are partners with bank of hawaii so you can use all of there atm's also.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM

With the literally dozens and dozens of houses listed on the Tribune Herald alone, for under $1200 a month, what is it that is keeping you from a rental house?

ps - don't mean to be nosy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island