Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times

Advertisements

I asked my son to take a look (I am blind). He said "nope, not a Haole!" He said that your accent will make it clear that you are not local but that your looks would certainly "not stick out". Relax, enjoy yourself- doubtless you will meet people who will become friends as well as those that you do not get along with (for whatever reasons).

Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM

12 posts, read 55,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I asked my son to take a look (I am blind). He said "nope, not a Haole!" He said that your accent will make it clear that you are not local but that your looks would certainly "not stick out". Relax, enjoy yourself- doubtless you will meet people who will become friends as well as those that you do not get along with (for whatever reasons).
Well that's a relief I guess. I will try to integrate as much as possible and speak as pidgin-ish as much as I can haha. British and Indian culture suck anyway - they are both very shallow cultures. So I would love to intergrate and learn hawaiian culture

Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 PM

109 posts, read 350,988 times
You look middle eastern to me

Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Like I said in OP, i'm east indian ( that's technically asian right?).

Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
When I lived on the Mainland I was mistaken for Middle Eastern (especially during the first Gulf War and after 2001!!!), I have been called Indian, Mexican, Hispanic, Spanish and Italian. It seems that to a lot of people 'dark' means what they see (either around them or on tv) and I was corrected several times when I said I was Hawaiian...after all- surely THEY knew better than I!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
When I lived on the Mainland I was mistaken for Middle Eastern (especially during the first Gulf War and after 2001!!!), I have been called Indian, Mexican, Hispanic, Spanish and Italian. It seems that to a lot of people 'dark' means what they see (either around them or on tv) and I was corrected several times when I said I was Hawaiian...after all- surely THEY knew better than I!!!
Yeah I get that kind of ignorance in the Uk.
A lot of the whites here don't like certain asian ethnicities. They'll be like 'why don't you pakis go home' and i'll just say 'i'm hindu you moron' and they'll just be like 'oh, ok cool' or other times they'll just go 'no, it' the same thing anyway'.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:01 AM

It is amazing that so many people feel that we are all interchangeable (as far as Race is concerned).
I was in Germany and a man thought I was Turkish and when I said "No, Hawaiian" he replied"No! Thats not it at all!".

I was once in New Mexico when a woman spoke to me in Spanish. I said I did not understand nor did I speak Spanish because I was Hawaiian- She treated me to a lecture about not despising my culture, and how could I deny who I was??? Ugh!

I think that as long as you are open and friendly you'll attract the same type of people. My son said that you looked like my nephew but I have not 'seen' him in years. You'll be fine but the difference between GB and Hawaii may be quite an adjustment.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
It is amazing that so many people feel that we are all interchangeable (as far as Race is concerned).
I was in Germany and a man thought I was Turkish and when I said "No, Hawaiian" he replied"No! Thats not it at all!".

I was once in New Mexico when a woman spoke to me in Spanish. I said I did not understand nor did I speak Spanish because I was Hawaiian- She treated me to a lecture about not despising my culture, and how could I deny who I was??? Ugh!

I think that as long as you are open and friendly you'll attract the same type of people. My son said that you looked like my nephew but I have not 'seen' him in years. You'll be fine but the difference between GB and Hawaii may be quite an adjustment.
Excellent post, and you're right. I guess you will meet people like that anywhere you go.

But Hilo does look like an amazing place to live, I love outdoor activities and have been looking for a place with a laid back lifestyle, but at the same time somewhere near a town/city. I can't wait to go there, i'm sure the adjustment won't be much of a problem at all

Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 51,728 times
Default Arctor: If you go ...

Please be sure to post and let us know how it goes.

I'm here, researching Hawaii, in hopes of that being my next (and final) home. Other than what I've read on here, I really don't know anything about Hawaii, other than it's beautiful! I've never even been there for vacation - just enjoyed the pictures that everyone else took on their vacations.

I'll be leaving everything behind, except for my kids, and my pets (I hope to be able to take my pets, but have read that taking/importing pets can be an issue ) I need to find a place that's affordable to live, has work available, good schools, etc. You know, I used to LOVE watching "Dog the Bounty Hunter" and, for obvious reasons, it always shows him running through the rougher neighborhoods, where "ice" is really bad ... I'd
like to be able to AVOID areas like that, but wonder WHERE?? You know those have to be the "cheaper" places to live, but I surely don't want to sacrifice my kids' safety all at the expense of cheaper housing, you know?? And, the area I'm in now, is rather high in drugs & crime - we're like centered between NY, DC, Baltimore - I want to get my kids away from it as much as possible, you know?!

I dunno', I just want a BIG change in our lives, and I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, so why not live there?!?! We can start-over, in a beautiful new place, embrassing a new culture, etc. I've been searching & searching for a place to finally call "home", but somehow Hawaii seemed so far out of reach, maybe it's not so unobtainable, afterall...?

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on & on, just really wanted to ask you to be sure to let us know how it goes for you, ok?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 PM

115 posts, read 471,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Actually there aren't many racists in Hilo. The roads just aren't up to it. For real racists you would have to go to Oahu, and check out the H3 or the H1, plenty of racists up there, especially in Hondas, Acuras and the occaisional Subaru. The real problem in Hilo town is the cannibals, they're all over the place, or was that the cannibus,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well, never mind. Hope this helps....

Aloha and okolemaluna
Dang, so what your really saying is that there won't be any racis? That sucks, I was getting all psyched out about it.

Jung you still kill me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island