Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 102,361 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

We are looking to relocate our farm to the Hilo area this year (Keaau is our leading contender so far) from very dry Idaho and am wondering if all the rain results in a humid and muggy climate with a lot of bugs. So far I haven't found that information anywhere and would appreciate the feedback from locals. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 PM
fwi

56 posts, read 156,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagDreamer View Post
Aloha!

We are looking to relocate our farm to the Hilo area this year (Keaau is our leading contender so far) from very dry Idaho and am wondering if all the rain results in a humid and muggy climate with a lot of bugs. So far I haven't found that information anywhere and would appreciate the feedback from locals. Mahalo.
Yes. All tropical/sub-tropical climates will provide you with the things you fear.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 68,033 times
It is very humid sometimes, but not as muggy as the southeast and mid-Atlantic states in the summer!!

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA but born and raised in eastern Washington - go Huskies

Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM

203 posts, read 1,358,021 times
Quote:
Aloha!

A lot of bugs that tend to be very large and be all over the place. I don't consider it too muggy, really. Not sure if that's true of if I adjusted quickly to it.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Aloha!

Have you visited the Big Island yet to see what kind of farmland is available for sale, that suits your particular needs? What crops or animals do you want to raise?

Yes on the bugs and humidity by the way although it is not oppressive like in the midwest.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
As far as 'muggy' it certainly has a L-O-N-G way to go before it even begins to touch the hellish humidity of the South during the summer. I have lived in AL, KY, LA, MO & TX(while it is not technically the "South" it is close enough to mention!

Bugs? Oh, yes...lots of bugs BUT no snakes!!!!! I'll take bugs over snakes any day!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
A bug flew in my ear today, we have lots of bugs here. Apparently the best way to remove bugs from your ear is to float the ear full of olive, vegetable or baby oil. Just in case you ever need to know.

We don't have a lot of mugginess, but we do have tons of humidity. Mostly the tradewinds blow the mugginess away, when the winds don't blow then we get muggy and vog. Vog is way evil, it can even wreck crops if it is heavy enough. It is volcanic fumes with sulfur and other things that do nasties to your sinuses.

Here's a link for the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) which is our main database for farmers around here: Welcome to the CTAHR Home Page!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Hilo's 80 degrees and high humidity, especially right after a rain shower, is much different than the 95 degree, high humidity with the sun out that we get here in Illinois during the summer. My sister lives in Houston - it's always unbearable there. We vacation often in either Florida or the Alabama Gulf Coast areas and they are also terrible. I'll take Hilo weather over that, anytime.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 AM

21 posts, read 102,361 times
Thank you all for the replies. I grew up in the Midwest, lived in the Mid-Atlantic and have visited down South and that sort of oppressive, can't breathe, can't get away from it muggy humidity is what I dread most. As for bugs, only mosquitos are what I would love to avoid. Again, I am thinking swamp-like, stagnant, hot & humid and from my experience visiting the Big Island it isn't like that, but I haven't been yet in the heart of summer.

In answer to another question, we don't do many crops here in Idaho because it is considered high arid desert with only 9 inches of rain and 6 months of winter. Before that I was in Sedona, AZ, also hot and dry. We have been focusing on organically, biodynamically raising rare heritage breeds of sheep, pigs, poultry, etc. We also raise exotic sporthorses and Komondors (dreadlock dogs). I look forward to growing heirloom vegetables and other produce once making the relocation.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-24-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: please include links to your business in your profile and not in the forum. thanks

Old 05-24-2009, 02:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
...Again, I am thinking swamp-like, stagnant, hot & humid and from my experience visiting the Big Island it isn't like that, but I haven't been yet in the heart of summer....
Summer vs winter is about 2-4 degrees of temperature....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island