Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 102,308 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
We are planning to relocate our farm from Idaho to the Big Island sometime this year. Although I have about 25 horses now I realize they can't all make the trip. If anyone has experience shipping horses from the mainland to Hawaii I would love to hear about it. Cost, regulations, transport companies, ease of doing it, etc. Is the Big Island (Hilo side) a horse friendly area? Are there veterinarians, riding trails, etc?
Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
I am not sure that I would even want to know the cost to ship a horse, let alone, a bunch of them. (tell me anyway)

You may want to call the Hawaii Dept of Ag.

Hawaii Dept of Ag

From the web site:
Importing Horses to Hawaii
Horses and other equidae must meet the following requirements:

Originate in an area or county in which equine encephalomyelitis has not occurred in the six month period prior to shipment.
Vaccinated with a USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved equine encephalomyelitis vaccine recommended in the area of origin, no less than 15 days before shipment.
Sponged or sprayed with a USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved pesticide within seven days.
Include a Statement-Free of external parasites.
Tested for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) by an USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved laboratory within 90 days of shipment.
Importer required to have imported horse retested for EIA 45 - 60 days after entry

Keep us all posted. This should be interesting and could become one of the longest running threads on the Hawaii forums by the time you get all the forms done, vet care, shipping...

Last edited by mdand3boys; 05-24-2009 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: extra info added

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Thank you for the link. I hope this isn't the longest thread by the time we get there, but if looking at the dog requirements (we have 6 Komondors to bring too) are any clue it might be. So far it's looking like $3500+ per horse to fly or $1000 per horse to ship by boat. If anyone has experience shipping by boat I would love to hear about it. We also would like to bring our Jersey milk cow and maybe some sheep and airfare is prohibitively expensive. My husband is a pilot, maybe it would be cheaper for us to charter a plane and have him fly us all over....

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
A quick forum/thread search revealed this thread that started in November, 2007. (The most recent posts were in March 2009.) Two locals have/had experience and knowledge of equine transport to the islands. The idea of contacting Hawaiian breeders/trainers who ship to the mainland is a good one, too.

Check out the thread, then you might want to DM the local posters to see if they can help with your particular situation. I haven't seen recent posts from either of them, but a DM might work. Here's the thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ng-horses.html

Best of luck.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
If you are going to ship all these critters, can any of them be bred first to expand the available genetics once they get here? My neighbors have a brown milk cow, it is either a Swiss or Jersey, I think. I can't tell them apart very well. Dark brown cow, lighter brown on the edges with a lighter colored nose. Friendly cow, likes to be scratched. Anyway, once you get here there are fairly limited genetics so folks are always looking to find a new genetic line.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 AM

Hotcatz, that is a great idea and one I was already exploring. I am going to bring my sporthorse stallion and a mare or two to help with horse genetics (which seems limited to Arabs and Quarter Horses) and I really want to bring at least one cow who I would try to have bred before I came. The cow you described of your neighbor's sounds like a Jersey. Is it smaller? I also have a Brown Swiss cow but they are very large and not as friendly. I also have a Jersey bull calf. If the dairy genetics are very limited maybe it woudl be a good idea to plan to bring him too. A review of Craigslist didn't show much in the way of milk cows or raw milk so I figured the genetics were limited. Do you know if there a market for raw milk or home milk cows?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,852 times
I shipped a horse to BI via Sheila Head Horse Transport. While I realize he may be the exception, he arrived injured, VERY thin, dehydrated, covered in fungus, and infected with some sort of shipping fever. I will not ship a horse by boat again, ever. He flew to make the return to the mainland, and came off the plane happy, healthy, and ready to go. I definitely recommend Pacific Airlift; the way to go when I do it again.
Aloha

Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagDreamer View Post
Thank you for the link. I hope this isn't the longest thread by the time we get there, but if looking at the dog requirements (we have 6 Komondors to bring too) are any clue it might be. So far it's looking like $3500+ per horse to fly or $1000 per horse to ship by boat. If anyone has experience shipping by boat I would love to hear about it. We also would like to bring our Jersey milk cow and maybe some sheep and airfare is prohibitively expensive. My husband is a pilot, maybe it would be cheaper for us to charter a plane and have him fly us all over....
Aloha! We recently used PetRelocation.com to bring our two little dogs from Florida to Big Island. They charged about $3k and vet bills/lab tests were about another $1k, so $4k total for Hoot and Annie.

Mahalo!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Aloha! We recently used PetRelocation.com to bring our two little dogs from Florida to Big Island. They charged about $3k and vet bills/lab tests were about another $1k, so $4k total for Hoot and Annie.

Mahalo!
Uh - did you mean to post this in another thread - this is a horse shipping thread.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM

140 posts, read 188,835 times
You never know petrelocation.com might be able to help. Maybe they could do something like this with the horses before they take them to petrelocation.com, except paint them as dogs, and get them into Hawaii at highly discounted rates. They just need to tell the horses not to neigh or it might set off suspicions.

lol, I just noticed this is also a 6-year old thread that just got bumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: