Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 PM

11 posts, read 58,104 times

Advertisements

ive been wanting to move to the hawaii area for some time now. The only advice i can give to anyone looking to move is dont belive all of the bad talk or negativity that spurrs up on these forums. Every one has there own opinion of whats great and what sucks. I read some posts on where i currently live and i didnt realize that it sucked so bad. Some ppl like it and some hate it. i think its great to live where im at but i want to live on the big isle. i like rainy weather, i like wind. Ok.... so i read that it sucks. Hmm, so does my area i guess that doesnt get rain all the time and has nice weather. Great. But theres a big drug problem in my area so ive read. Ive never been a victim or know anyone that has been one in my area. But you read the posts and it sounds like you will get jacked in a second. Thats nice to know....maybe ill lock my car up for the first time in a year. My point being that there could be bad communities and great communities any where you want to move if you read this forum. Is it trickery? Is it ppl not wanting others to move in to the area? I think that more good people should move into nice palces to keep them nice. I undserstand that "most" responses are being honest about the area but "could" they be over-exagerated? In my opinion they are. I say move to where you want based on what you want to do. Yes it rains on any island in the ocean...it just depends on what kinda ambient temp you would like to be rained on. Those nice sunny days walking your dogs or strolling along the beach with a loved one will out way anykind of rain you could imagine. Maybe im blind but i want to live on the island but with all the talk of rain and meth heads why should i move. Puna is awsome while i was visiting there once but i didnt realize that was going to be mugged by meth (ice) heads ....!oh wait a minute thats what the forum insinuated what was going to happen! Sorry for not believeing that every thing isnt as bad as its "supposedly" going to be. I know theres alot more to living on hawaii than what i type down but you almost had me scared the first few days i read about hawaii on this forum. I will move there some day.
I just wont let you gus talk me out of it. Not that your trying to All i need is a beach within 50 miles and a volcano to keep me awake when i get tired. Thank you. Oh and BTW i can handle being called a Haloe by everyone casue i always get called an A__hole anyways lol! JUST KIDDING.....HEHE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:16 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Thanks, Cosmo! Your comments are so true. One of my least favorite things in the world is billboards. One reason I love Hawaii is because there are not any. Such a simple thing, but it really matters in that it makes me feel very good about being here. Every place has its pros and cons...it all depends on where you find your connection! Hope you make it back here soon!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:40 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
All I can say is come here, give it a try, see if this is the place, if it is, you will stay, if not, then you will know, and will be ready for your next adventure. (I moved here 3 times before I decided it was home.)

Last edited by leilaniguy; 05-26-2007 at 01:58 AM..

Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 AM

59 posts, read 312,052 times
Cosmo,

There is truth in every point that you make.

Puna, for example, has always been known for its counterculture/ drugs/ hippies. But is that all there is ? By far, absolutely not.

It rains all the time in Hilo / Puna ..... well , no.

On average, yes we receive alot of rain. But many times it is at night, or the morning, Or we have stretches with no rain. The rain keeps everything a beautiful green and great for your garden/ plants/ landscaping.

Now we have been here less than a year, and I would agree that some responses you may receive from residents, perhaps unintentionally, do seem to sound " we dont want you here". I have not personally seen that on this board, but others.

There are individuals that moved here from the mainland that, once they are here, wish for things never to change. Or , for example, we were at a longtime Hilo 24 hr. restaurant a few weeks ago, and overheard a restaurant owner from Maui questioning the waitress about the other dining opportunities in Hilo. Her response was a bit cold, she explained to him that there was an IHOP opening, but there was not the population in the Hilo area for many restaurants. Now that was a total joke. I respect her for protecting her own job, but competition is a good thing. Anyway.

Do visit for awhile and check every area out.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 AM

115 posts, read 664,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
All I can say is come here, give it a try, see if this is the place, if it is, you will stay, if not, then you will know, and will be ready for your next adventure. (I moved here 3 times before I decided it was home.)
When you are old and wrinkly one day, do you want to say "I tried it, had a great experience!" or "I wish I did" ?

Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 325,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMammabear View Post
When you are old and wrinkly one day, do you want to say "I tried it, had a great experience!" or "I wish I did" ?

Exactly why I am going for it! This has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I may not want to live there longer than my sublet.....or I may never want to leave! But its better to have tried.......I totally agree! I am glad to see others who feel the same way!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 PM

115 posts, read 471,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
Exactly why I am going for it! This has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I may not want to live there longer than my sublet.....or I may never want to leave! But its better to have tried.......I totally agree! I am glad to see others who feel the same way!

I'm with you Firecoach, go for it. I honestly believe in the theory of no matter where you live, your home and life is only as good as you want and make it to be.

Good luck to ya

Old 06-19-2007, 05:53 PM

17 posts, read 106,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Cosmo,

There is truth in every point that you make.

Puna, for example, has always been known for its counterculture/ drugs/ hippies. But is that all there is ? By far, absolutely not.

It rains all the time in Hilo / Puna ..... well , no.

On average, yes we receive alot of rain. But many times it is at night, or the morning, Or we have stretches with no rain. The rain keeps everything a beautiful green and great for your garden/ plants/ landscaping.

Now we have been here less than a year, and I would agree that some responses you may receive from residents, perhaps unintentionally, do seem to sound " we dont want you here". I have not personally seen that on this board, but others.

There are individuals that moved here from the mainland that, once they are here, wish for things never to change. Or , for example, we were at a longtime Hilo 24 hr. restaurant a few weeks ago, and overheard a restaurant owner from Maui questioning the waitress about the other dining opportunities in Hilo. Her response was a bit cold, she explained to him that there was an IHOP opening, but there was not the population in the Hilo area for many restaurants. Now that was a total joke. I respect her for protecting her own job, but competition is a good thing. Anyway.

Do visit for awhile and check every area out.
Have to be talking about Ken's right ? I was in Hilo last week, and that was the only 24 hour place I could find. I loved it tho'.

On the topic of rain....I was only there 5 days, but the rain was very intermittant (sp?) - it didn't last very long....the sun would come out, then it would rain, then it would be cloudy....the weather was really schizophrenic...is it always like that ?

One other thing I noticed...Having spent alot of time in Kona previously, this trip i satyed in Hilo....Man, Kona is SO congested by comparison....people and traffic everywhere. When I came back over to Hilo, it almost felt like I had the town to myself. A totally different energy.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
On the topic of rain....I was only there 5 days, but the rain was very intermittant (sp?) - it didn't last very long....the sun would come out, then it would rain, then it would be cloudy....the weather was really schizophrenic...is it always like that ?
That's the Hilo version of a "drought." It usually rains a bit more in Hilo; however, the weather changes there from hour to hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
One other thing I noticed...Having spent alot of time in Kona previously, this trip i satyed in Hilo....Man, Kona is SO congested by comparison....people and traffic everywhere. When I came back over to Hilo, it almost felt like I had the town to myself. A totally different energy.
Some folks on the Hilo side refer to Kona as "Konafornia." During the past couple of decades, quite a few folks from Southern California (and elsewhere) moved to Kona, which is part of the reason for its different "energy." In terms of traffic, the County of Hawai'i dragged its feet when it came to planning for infrastructure on the Kona side. Kona didn't even get traffic signals until the mid-1970s.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM

59 posts, read 312,052 times
Tiki,

Yes, I was referring to Kens, You are a quick study!

The weather is psychotic !! We had almost 2 weeks of sunny ,dry weather recently. Which is abnormal.

But do not expect any general patterns on a day to day basis. Weather forecast ? Ha.

Kona does have "energy" and much more "mainland" than Hilo.

Hawaii County does seem to drag it's feet on everything. There is an east vs. west mentality, also recently a Hilo vs. Puna distict in regards to needed infrastructure for Puna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: