Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 17,674 times

Advertisements

What kind of poisonous creatures are there?

In michigan we have the seldom but occasional brown recluse, black widow, and copperhead rattler.

Are the centipedes, spiders, or anything else poisonous or do they just hurt when/if they bite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
There is nothing deadly here, but there are a few things that bite or sting, centipedes are widespread, scorpions in dry areas like Kona, the fire ants that have recently invaded, hornets, and a stinging caterpillar. There is a small spider that doesn't sting much, but leaves a welt for weeks. A neighbor recently said she thought she had been bitten by a black widow, but I've never seen one.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM

60 posts, read 451,612 times
Nothing deadly here. The blueish colored Centipedes have a poisonous bite but just swelling and hurts like hell, the big red ones look way nastier, but I believe they don't have any poison, just the pain from the bite. Yellow Jacket bees are another pest that has a non poisonous but painful sting.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM

32 posts, read 303,966 times
LOL..bugs are better than snakes!!! I live in Austin, Texas and just a few weeks ago my husband had to kill a snake in our front lawn.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Default Preventing mosquitos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
How about the mosquitos? I hate toxic pesticides.....any ideas???
Mosquitos breed in standing water, as in the throats of bromeliads. I hear that if you mix a dilute solution of Simple Green and water, put it in a spray bottle and spray it into any place where water collects, it will kill the larva.

Hank

Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM

51 posts, read 325,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Mosquitos breed in standing water, as in the throats of bromeliads. I hear that if you mix a dilute solution of Simple Green and water, put it in a spray bottle and spray it into any place where water collects, it will kill the larva.

Hank
I wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate the replies about the "bugs"! I am gearing up to head over there soon and I feel a lot more informed about what to look out for. Although, I will say it was not "fun" looking these critters up online. Some of those centipedes are just downright nasty looking!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
Default centipedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Centipedes can get through tiny holes, but are usually seen only in buildings built on concrete slab. They don't attack so much as blunder in, usually during droughts. (The bite is nasty, like a bee sting, painful, not fatal). The mongoose is sneaky, shy and usually is only seen around garbage cans at night, and running across roads during daylight. I've never heard of anyone getting bit.
I can tell you a centipede can bite you because I have been bitten by one in the past.It was very painful,it felt like shock waves of pain and it made me very sick.I can tell you every time i see one i think about how painful them things are when they bit you. It's worster than a bee sting! phatbabe40 from alabama

Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Yes, the blue ones especially can deliver quite a bite and if you're somewhat "allergic", it can make you feel sick although nothing fatal. My daughter got bitten on her arm and she said it was like an electrick shock up to her shoulder and she felt sick instantly. A quick scrub w/ betadine and a hefty dose of benadryl right quick helped. But she is kind of allergic to bites more so than some others might be, and just feel the pain of the bite itself.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
I arrived today on the BI/Pahoa area, and while cooking on the grill tonite, I believe I gave blood. The mosquitoes were relentless and aggressive. I killed many-some a little too late... Tomorrow we are buying the strongest DEET product available.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:52 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I arrived today on the BI/Pahoa area, and while cooking on the grill tonite, I believe I gave blood. The mosquitoes were relentless and aggressive. I killed many-some a little too late... Tomorrow we are buying the strongest DEET product available.
Aloha! on your arrival to Hawaii!!
If you want something that is natural to help repel the mosquitoes (and not the skin so soft personally the smell of that gets me sick) try the Badger bug balm.
Pls start a new thread telling us about you drive across the country or at least half way across lol I get to drive a lil further I did the other way 5 years ago now I get to drive back.

Glad you made it safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island