Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
I hope that you are all rewarded for your generosity throughout your lives.

Sincerely,

Patrick
It's a Hawaii thing, Patrick.

I have a vacation welcome note that says:

"Please have a marvelous time during your stay with us, and may the beauty of our island, and Hawaii's Aloha Spirit, follow you home!"

Hank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 PM

51 posts, read 325,708 times
Hey Patrick, Im in the same boat as you! I am printing this thread out as well....I will be living on the BI for about 3 weeks in August. This thread helped me tremendously!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:49 AM

118 posts, read 671,722 times
Aloha!

Yes, that's is the spirit I feel ... & I haven't even arrived yet!

Enjoy your stay firecoach. How long have you been in the fire business?

Hank, I will undoubtedly buy a welcome matt that reflects the Aloha spirit you quoted.

PN

Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 325,708 times
Quote:
Aloha!

Yes, that's is the spirit I feel ... & I haven't even arrived yet!

Enjoy your stay firecoach. How long have you been in the fire business?

Hank, I will undoubtedly buy a welcome matt that reflects the Aloha spirit you quoted.

PN

Thx Patrick! I dont think I have been this excited about a vacation in a loooong time! Sounds like you are too! I was a counselor for the fire dept. for quite some time and all of my buds are firemen!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 AM

Hank, are you still active? I also do Crime Prevention & Security Assessments for the Sheriff's Office. I've been wondering if I might find some work opportunity on Big Island in this field to keep somewhat active, and to supplement my pension. I'm not counting on it, but if I have any luck, I think collaborating with other police/fire/ & other security/ safety counselors might create an interest, if I can find a market over there eventually. We can always get in touch if anything develops, or just to stay in touch is OK. My email is paddywagons1@yahool.com.

Patrick

PS: We are lucky dogs! Enjoy that vacation, when do you arrive?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Hank, are you still active? I also do Crime Prevention & Security Assessments for the Sheriff's Office. I've been wondering if I might find some work opportunity on Big Island in this field to keep somewhat active, and to supplement my pension. I'm not counting on it, but if I have any luck, I think collaborating with other police/fire/ & other security/ safety counselors might create an interest, if I can find a market over there eventually. We can always get in touch if anything develops, or just to stay in touch is OK. My email is paddywagons1@yahool.com.

Patrick

PS: We are lucky dogs! Enjoy that vacation, when do you arrive?
Hi, Patrick,

That quote was not about MY vacation. It's from the welcome letter I send to guests at my vacation rental on Kauai. We live half the year in Kailua, on Oahu, and the other half in San Diego, where I am now. Won't be back till December.

Sorry. No experience in Law Enforcement/Crime Prevention, but I'd sure give it a shot. I think specialized experience in almost any technical field is in demand on all the islands.

Hank

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM

17 posts, read 106,833 times
Amongst my favorite things on the B.I.

The drive from Kailua-Kona to South Point. Driving thru all the small towns in the Coffee farm district of South Kona is one of the most serene,sublime things I've ever done. Stopping at all the towns, including my favorite, Kainaliu, as well as Honaunau / City of Refuge (an absolute MUST, especially if you love Tiki), Kealakakua Bay, and then to Naalehu and ending up at Black Sand beach in Punalu'u....just amazing.

Stopping at the coffee farms for some coffee samples, Surfin Ass Coffee and Chocolates in Kainaliu and the Punalu-u Bakery in Naalehu. It's not really an activities thing, but more of chill out / sightseeing thing...good for the soul.

Volcano National Park... a MUST. Breakfast Buffet at Volcano House, A MUST, and if the lava is flow is accesible, A MUST... tho' lately it's been a 3 hour hike just to get to see it, so now might not be good.

Hilo is a nice small town, and the sights already mentioned are good ones.

Keep driving up the coast and take the scenic route past mile 7 going toward the Botanical Garden...a MUST. PLEASE stop and take the path down to the ocean...you'll see cars lined up and stopped there...you can hike down to the Botanical Garden entrance, or just ask the guard to point you towards the direction of the bayfront....

After you get back up on the road, drive more and stop at "What's Shakin", a smoothie place in a little house on the left...The Smoothies are $6 ! , but the view sitting there is amazing, and once again, very serene.

Keep going and stop at Laupahoehoe Park....really nice.

Akaka Falls, a MUST too.

Honokaa is a nice small town, and there is the drive into Waipio Valley, which I was told not to do unless the person driving has done it before and has a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

On the Kona Side, there is Waikaloa, and the beaches up there and on the north tip of the island Hawi, a great small town. Eat lunch at Bamboo...great place.

Go to Kapa'au and hike down into Pololu Valley to the beach. Amazing.

The drive from Kona to Waimea is beautiful, Parker Ranch and everything. It's all good.

That's all I can think of right now.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks Tikiyaki; that was an amazing tour you recommeded! I will be sure to follow your advice.

I really appreciate your input, it's always best to hear it from someone who's been there. You and several others have been incredibly generous with your time. I hope my reviews will help others, and satisfy you that your words were well heeded.

Patrick

PS Hank, thanks again for you response - and lucky you for having the best of both worlds.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 106,833 times
Quote:
Thanks Tikiyaki; that was an amazing tour you recommeded! I will be sure to follow your advice.

I really appreciate your input, it's always best to hear it from someone who's been there. You and several others have been incredibly generous with your time. I hope my reviews will help others, and satisfy you that your words were well heeded.

Patrick

PS Hank, thanks again for you response - and lucky you for having the best of both worlds.

Hey, no worries....I'm no expert, but I have a friend who lives there and shows me new places when I go. Please pick up the (in)famous "blue" book "Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed".

They do a great job, and basically got me through my first BI trip on my own.

Well worth the $15.

Have a blast. I'll be there again in August, can't wait.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Hi Tikiyaki,

I've got that book, so now that you confirm it's a good guide, I certainly will use it. I'll be there from July 20th until Aug 5th. I heard there's a Japanese Festival in Hilo in August, so Ill be there with my family to see it. Have you checked it out already?

Thanks - & you have a fantastic time too!

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island