Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 106,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
Hi Tikiyaki,

I've got that book, so now that you confirm it's a good guide, I certainly will use it. I'll be there from July 20th until Aug 5th. I heard there's a Japanese Festival in Hilo in August, so Ill be there with my family to see it. Have you checked it out already?

Thanks - & you have a fantastic time too!

Patrick

I haven't but, I wonder if it's at Lili'oukalani Park in the Japanse Gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Lleilaniguy mentioned the road north from Waimea to Hawi. That is route 250 and was probably one of our favorite stretches of road. Cow pastures on your right (at the beginning) and sweeping vistas down to the ocean on your left and not much traffic (at least there wasn't 3 years ago).

We were on the island for 3 weeks and I will second the recommendation of the "Big Island Revealed". It's not perfect, but it helped make our trip a lot of fun.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We have to wait 1 1/2 more years to get back.

Steve

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
A quick note about the Hamakua Coast drive...if you are visiting here this summer: there are several places along the way where construction, bridge repairs and road resurfacing will slow you down. Plan for a few extra minutes along the way. And watch your speed around the small towns...I've seen lots of drivers being stopped lately.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Best to watch your speed everywhere here, obey the limit. You'll see more scenery and many highways here are more like country roads- 2 lane, some parts with narrow or no shoulders, hairpin turns, blind intersections, crumbly rock cliffs, etc. There is a popular bumper sticker here that says "Slow down, it's a island"

Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 AM

118 posts, read 672,026 times
Hey there! - only have a second.

Thanks for the tips - who needs a ticket! The visions you're creating in my head seem so wonderful, I am on the edge of my seat! I leave in 19 days and I can still hardly believe I'm going.

See you all one day I hope as you've been great,

Patrick

Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hey there! - only have a second.

Thanks for the tips - who needs a ticket! The visions you're creating in my head seem so wonderful, I am on the edge of my seat! I leave in 19 days and I can still hardly believe I'm going.

See you all one day I hope as you've been great,

Patrick
I know that "edge of my seat" excitement...I get it every time I go back.

Oh, forgot to mention...

Best not take any lava rock, black sand, green sand, or any kind of Lava related natural by-product from the island home with you.

BAD luck will follow. This isn't some Brady Bunch type hooey....

You want proof ? Ask anyone at Volcano NAtional Park about the the amount of returned lava rocks they receive evey day with letters about horrible things that happened from the people who took them.

Any islander will tell you this.

Respect Madame Pele.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Lleilaniguy mentioned the road north from Waimea to Hawi. That is route 250 and was probably one of our favorite stretches of road. Cow pastures on your right (at the beginning) and sweeping vistas down to the ocean on your left and not much traffic (at least there wasn't 3 years ago).

Steve
YES...That view of the ocean from up there is amazing.Like being on top of the world, huh ?

Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM

118 posts, read 672,026 times
OK- NO LAVA!!!

Hey there,

Maybe you should stay there like I intend to!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times
Default Bad Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
Oh, forgot to mention...

Best not take any lava rock, black sand, green sand, or any kind of Lava related natural by-product from the island home with you.

BAD luck will follow. This isn't some Brady Bunch type hooey....

You want proof ? Ask anyone at Volcano NAtional Park about the the amount of returned lava rocks they receive evey day with letters about horrible things that happened from the people who took them.

Any islander will tell you this.

Respect Madame Pele.
Yes, I have lived here for almost twenty years and advise people of this all of time. Why recently, I heard from a Volcano Park Ranger that a piece of lava was returned by a person who blamed his bad luck on bringing that piece home. He only got 5 out of the 6 numbers right on his lottery ticket and won only $15,000 instead of ten million!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
OK- NO LAVA!!!

Hey there,

Maybe you should stay there like I intend to!
My 6 year plan is to be there part of the year, and in LA where I am now for the rest. I'm self employed, so I can do my work from wherever. Just bought a condo there, so I'm getting my first foot into the real estate market, and making baby steps towards the goal of retirement on the islands.

As much as I love LA, it's getting redulously expensive to live here,and crowded (more than when I moved here in 95') and honestly, the Pacific Ocean here was SO beautiful here, until I went to Hawaii...now it only looks like a few steps above the Ocean around Long Island, where I grew up.

After swimming at Kailua Beach, Santa Monica and Manhattan are pretty lame by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island