Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM

118 posts, read 672,351 times

Advertisements

If you were limited to only two weeks driving around the Big Island with a rental car, what sites are a MUST SEE? I have read 4 books on the Big Island, and I am already in love with this trip! I have never been to Hawaii, and I must make this trip for my wife & infants the best possible sight-seeing tour we'll ever have. When I have visitors to South Florida, I take them for a quick trip to the Keys (overnight when possible); a day in South Beach Miami; a visit to the SeaQuarium in Key Biscayne; and a walk & a bite to eat on Las Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. It's quick and very fulfilling. I can do this whole thing in two or three days and they will have seen the best of South Florida. Now, Florida doesn't compare anything to what Hawaii has to offer, that's for sure, but I imagine there are Hawaiins that know how to do a quick tour of the island and get the best of almost everything in a quick and not too expensive way. I understand that it would be best to have lots more time, but I don't and couldn't afford that luxury anyway. So, who's up to writing a few lines; just think of it as your favorite places that you'd like to share. I honestly can say that what I read here will surely influence me more that any guide book.

Thanks for any help!

Patrick

PS: We can't do any dare-deviling as I have an infant and a pregnant wife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Default Two weeks on the Big Island

I live on Oahu but have visited the Big Island many times over the last fifty years.

I'd spend a few days at Volcano House on the edge of the Halemaumau crater in Volcanos National Park, or if you are military, stay at Kilauea Military Camp in their cottages, walking distance to the edge of the crater. Visit the Park Observatory and Visitor Center. Walk the trail of devastation across Kilauea. Get the latest from the visitors center on how to best see the current eruption and do it. Hike through the Thurston Lava Tube.

If the inmates are still making and selling koa and monkey pod bowls at the State Prison, go there and consider a purchase.

I'd spend a few days on the Kona Coast, just because it's a laid back vacation spot, and find some beaches where the snorkeling is great. There's one that's right across a small cove from the City of Refuge. Kind of hard to find the get-in-the-water spot, but someone at the City of R visitors center can tell you how, and the snorkeling is among the best I've ever seen.

I haven't done this, but if money is no or little object, you might consider some days at one of the really posh resorts up the coast from Kona.

Go to South Point and hike in to Green Sand Beach.

Look up the cheapest and farthest out lot for sale on the slopes of Mauna Loa, and go look at it. You'll learn a bit about what newcomers with little money have to endure to live there. There is some interesting information in another thread here, titled Puna Hawaii

Hank

Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Default Puna

OOppsss! I didn't notice that you started that thread!

Hank

Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
In Hilo; you might be interested in Rainbow falls, (background for many commercials) Boiling pots, Pe'epe'e falls, Liliuokalani park, Coconut island, Richardson Beach park, big farmers market on Bayfront, Tsunami museum, Iwiloa Astronomy museum. In Puna; flower farms, Pahoa, old town with boardwalks & hippies, Red road from Kapoho to Kaimu, great ocean, jungle, lava views, tidepools, volcanic hot ponds along shore. North of Hilo; Onomea scenic route, Tropical gardens, Akaka falls above Honomu, several canyons filled with jungle. Turn off at Honoka'a to Waipio lookout, great views. Travel on to Waimea (horse & cattle country). Go north from there to Hawi, lush with Maui view. Head south to Kohala coast, megaresorts on beach, mostly barren lava inland, then on to Kona, much to do there, real touristy. Farther south is coffee country, Kealakekua bay, then to Kau; Oceanview, South point, (farthest south in USA) Naalehu, then on to Volcano National park and from there back into Puna. Be sure to pick up a free copy of 101 things to do on the Big Island. It is available at the airports and restaurants & hotels.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 06-12-2007 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling Liliuokalani!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Thank you both again for your thoughtful help. I will print these so I have them while on the BIG 1. I always appreciate getting a personal point of view from the locals wherever I go. It looks like there's plenty to keep me busy!

Patrick

PS: I arrive and depart from Kona, so all the guidebooks recommend touring clockwise around the island for the best trip. I can change that if a few people seriously think it's better to go counter-clockwise, any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:15 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,307,014 times
Waipio Valley and Volcanoes National Park, are must-sees. The Onomea Senic Route will be very family friendly. There are a few trails near the Botanical Garden you can take without paying the admission for the tour, but if you want a calm afternoon for the family, you may want to consider the full tour. Stop at What's Shakin for snacks along the way....I haven't been there in a while, but assume it is still in operation. What's Shakin' | Restaurant Review | Hawaii (The Big Island) | Frommers.com

Hawi and Honokaa are quaint towns with shopping, dining, and most importantly, history. There are old buildings from the sugar production era to be found along the coast and exploring these sites can be a step back in time...

The Green Sand beach hike from South Point is a long, hot hike if you are walking. When I did it a few years ago, my friend and I were lucky to have gotten a lift back from a couple of gentlemen who were out taking photos for a travel website. You may want to make your stop at the black sand beaches instead.

On the Kona-Kohala coast, some of my favorite days have been spent at beaches (check the guidebooks--some of the best require a short hike) with a cooler full of food and a CD player...away from the resort areas and experiecing the natural beauty of the landscape.

(You won't want to plan to go to the summit of Mauna Kea...not recommended for children or pregnant women. There is a visitors center where you can spend some time at a lower elevation.) Visitor Information Station -- Mauna Kea, Hawai'i

As you are planning this trip, the key element to consider is the drive time from Point A to Point B. When I drive Hilo to Kona Saddle Road, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours. Hilo to the resorts, I allow 2 hours (not driving to enjoy the scenery, so your drive time will likely be a little longer).

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 06-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Add website link

Old 06-14-2007, 01:22 PM

61 posts, read 452,179 times
Akaka Falls is very nice. A little bit of a walk though.
Volcano area to check out the lava.
Waipio Valley, maybe not down into the valley but at least go to the lookout at the top, it's breathtaking.
Hapuna Beach is beautiful, be careful if the surf is big though, I've been there way too many times picking up people with neck injuries. If the surf is not up, then no problem.
I'd spend an evening at the King's shop in Waikoloa. I love the atmosphere there, you can also have dinner at Roy's or one of the other restaurants.
In Kona, spend the day shopping at the International Marketplace and the Shops along Alii Drive. Later, Have dinner at Huggos, Kona Inn, Bubba Gumps, Outback, Hard Rock or one of the others.
Atlantis submarine ride or one of the Glass Bottom boat rides.
I'd say one thing different that I'd suggest is if you can get into the Hualalai Resort to have lunch and walk around, I'd do it. The rooms cost $500 and up, so staying there is out (for me anyway) but lunch at the club house or the Surf and Sand buffet at night is awesome. Not to mention they have a big pond with Rays, Fish, eels etc that is quite impressive.
Wouldn't hurt to visit the Hilton at Waikoloa either, Boat rides, Trolley, awesome swimming pools and some shops.
I'd normally recomment the Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour (I've seen all the valley's etc in the Fire Dept Rescue Chopper) and the views are unbelieveable, I actually can't put it into word and do it justice. Just not sure if I'd fly with an infant and with the wife pregnant.
Oh, I almost forgot, See a luau. I've only been to the King Kam Hotel's Luau, and it was good, maybe one of the other hotels have a better one?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
I went to a luau at Kona Village Resort. Didn't have anything to compare it to, but I gather it's one of the best
Hawaii's Best Bed & Breakfast (use google) can give you great suggestions for very interesting places to stay. I was very happy with their ideas- stayed at Hobbit House in Naalehu (near Green Sand Beach, but not walkable), Ohia House near Volcano, and one very romantic righteous night at Kona Village Resort!
Oh, and a great night at Hualaloa B&B, which is straight up the mountain from the airport- gorgeous views and a wonderful place to stay.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM

7 posts, read 57,290 times
just got back from there
kapoho tide pools was awesome
and just hanging out at the uncrowded little beaches above north of hilo

Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Bravo! You guys did it; and wow did you give us some wonderful suggestions. I'm printing out your replys, and we'll certainly use them to guide us throughout Hawaii. As I said, I value personal first-hand non-commercial tips more so than any commercial guidebook. Talking here to all of you about our trip has generated wonderful warm feelings of being welcomed in Hawaii. I hope that you are all rewarded for you generosity throughout your lives.

Sincerely,

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island