Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times

Advertisements

You would get a lot more grief from a homeowners association than Hawaii County. There are subdivisions that do not have associations. Most associations require 800+ sq. ft. plus a double carport. The county's requirement for living space is 240 sq. ft. The county just passed a rule that any structure under 120' does not need a permit and if the land is zoned AG it goes up to 600'. I've seen people living in as little as 8X8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Thanks, I take it from my browsing these forums that a person like me would be best suited for the living in the puna district? I think my time in Alaska has prepared me for any number of broken down cars, hoards of roosters and interesting neighbors. I would be looking for land with little to no cc&r's or HOA. I wouldn't mind finding agricultural zoned land either. I live in a spray foamed dome I built in Alaska for reference.
Can anyone point me in the right direction and narrow down my browsing for land. I am not scared of impassable roads, crazy neighbors, or any other issues except for active lava flows. Budget is 20-40k. I just want to build something cool/alternative with least amount of hassle. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,291 times
Thank leilaniguy. I think I found it: "One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed a) 120 square feet (11 m2); b) does not exceed 600 square feet for agricultural zoned lands." Is it against code to take an 8-hour nap in the tool shed, daily?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thanks, I take it from my browsing these forums that a person like me would be best suited for the living in the puna district? I think my time in Alaska has prepared me for any number of broken down cars, hoards of roosters and interesting neighbors. I would be looking for land with little to no cc&r's or HOA. I wouldn't mind finding agricultural zoned land either. I live in a spray foamed dome I built in Alaska for reference.
Can anyone point me in the right direction and narrow down my browsing for land. I am not scared of impassable roads, crazy neighbors, or any other issues except for active lava flows. Budget is 20-40k. I just want to build something cool/alternative with least amount of hassle. Thanks.
Perhaps a little tongue-in-cheek but a creative young fellow might buy the property of your choosing in lava zone 1, cheap land, and build a shantyboat on it's trailer. You could clearly point out, to pesky inspectors, it's a boat and not a house If the lava gets close just hook up and move until it cools.

http://shantyboatliving.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=shan...w=1024&bih=677

Rust

Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
<SNIP>
Anyways, I browse these cheaper lots on the internet on big island from time to time. I also find "unpermitted" structures for sale on craigslist from time to time. Would I be able to not be harassed if I bought an existing unpermitted structure. Like would it be grandfathered in? Or Does anyone know the cheapest route to go for a code approved structure there on vacant land for example, kit house, yurt, hand framed on site convential? Any square footage requirements? Thanks.
Nope, not grandfathered in and if your new neighbors didn't like you, one call to the Building Department would open a big can of worms.

Probably cheapest 100% legal dwelling would be an owner-builder "efficiency dwelling". That has a minimum square footage of 220? square feet or some such number. Also required to have a separate bathroom and closet, not just one big room. Basically a 14' x 16' stick framed box, probably on post and pier so you'd not have to do much site work. Figure 2" x 4" @ 16" o.c. walls, w/ 1/2" T1-11 @ exterior, optional 1/2" drywall or 1" x 6" t & g pine on the interior side. 2" x 6" trusses or 2" x 6" top chord rafters. Add in some windows from Restore or off of Craig's List. Same with plumbing fixtures. You'll have to hire the plumbing and electrical work done by licensed folks. Tin roof with water catchment. Not much more to it than that. Oh, maybe a couple of doors.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
Thank leilaniguy. I think I found it: "One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed a) 120 square feet (11 m2); b) does not exceed 600 square feet for agricultural zoned lands." Is it against code to take an 8-hour nap in the tool shed, daily?
Yes, it is illegal to use these sorts of buildings as your dwelling.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Nope, not grandfathered in and if your new neighbors didn't like you, one call to the Building Department would open a big can of worms.
I suspect the odds of enforcement action are about the same as the immigration police doing something when you rat out the busboy at the restaurant. Of course it still behooves those living in unpermitted structures to be real good neighbors.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
A lot depends on where you buy. In Black Sands Beach, Kalapana Vacation lots, Waa Waa and many of the developments along Volcano hwy nearly everyone has built without permits. Since this last lava flow I've heard many people say who cares? Everything in Puna is temporary.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
A lot depends on where you buy. In Black Sands Beach, Kalapana Vacation lots, Waa Waa and many of the developments along Volcano hwy nearly everyone has built without permits. Since this last lava flow I've heard many people say who cares? Everything in Puna is temporary.
Yep, voices from Puna say it's gone from Paradise to Pair O'Dice

Rust

Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
As I understand it, the definition of "accessory structure" means that it is a detached structure in addition to a primary permitted structure on the property. (No permitted structure on property = no unpermitted accessory structure allowed on property). By definition, you can't have a legal accessory structure under this subsection without a legal primary structure that meets code requirements.

The detached accessory structure verbiage is to allow people with legal domiciles to add sheds, playhouses etc to their property without being over regulated in the process, not to allow people to build gigantic playhouses, sheds, etc for them to live in and skirt the building codes or zoning requirements.

Under this interpretation, the county wouldn't care if you take an 8 hour nap in the tool shed because there is already a structure on the property they are collecting property taxes on.

But also, after your 8 hour nap in the accessory tool shed, you can go into your primary permitted structure (home) and use a toilet that flushes into a permitted septic or cesspool system, as opposed to doing something else which may upset the neighbors quite a bit.

Last edited by terracore; 04-21-2015 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: accuracy, italics, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island