Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM

90 posts, read 279,710 times

Advertisements

There is a square footage requirement, even for efficiency dwellings. I believe it's closer to 420 square feet or thereabout. Some structures can be grandfathered in, but they have to be quite old, built before codes. I'm not sure of the exact age they must be, but there is a cut off year somewhere in there. Terracore, you've nailed the summary of the accessory structure precisely.

YG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 PM

Just catching up on this thread...

Certain composting toilets are permitable, but when we've looked into it for various clients we have found that we still have to get an engineer to design a gray water system (instead of cesspool or septic), and cost is about the same as a cesspool when it's all said and done, so it's not a cheaper option unless you're weighing it against a septic system. Definitely more maintenance as well. Most people we have talked with that are looking at composting toilets are doing so to lessen costs of implementing wastewater systems, but it doesn't typically pan out.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
But who's to stop you if you happen to be storing a bed or a gas stove in that shed? And what county mountie will be out there at night to see who's sleeping where? I don't see many problems.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:01 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
But who's to stop you if you happen to be storing a bed or a gas stove in that shed? And what county mountie will be out there at night to see who's sleeping where? I don't see many problems.
You might not see those night-vision camera equipped drones searching for Number 2 violators pooping in the yard either.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,982 times
It's sad how unnecessarily complex and expensive building and health codes make things. I have land in Puna and would like to do DIY composting/humanure (no blackwater) and a greywater system for sink/tub output. Heck, I could even filter the sink/tub output so it's as clean as tap water. But if I have to install a cesspool or septic tank regardless and hire a separate plumber to install the plumbing, greywater or not, the savings disappear. Both the ecosystem and I are worse off for it.

Lots of misconceptions out there about composting and humanure. Even if it were the same as "pooping on the ground" -- which it's not -- do people not realize that animals poop on the ground all the time? Also, that no epidemic has ever spread from "pooping on the ground," but some of the worst disease outbreaks in human history are a direct result of mixing poop with water? Cholera, Plague, etc. [end rant]

This thread is really informational. Thanks to everyone posting insights about the Big Island.

@RustNeverSleeps -- my comments aren't directed at you, fyi. I know your drone comment was a joke ... although I wouldn't be surprised

Old 08-09-2015, 02:49 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
As far as I know, the dates for a structure being grandfathered in and not needing a building permit is a building built before 1915 with documentation prior to 1930.

The DIY plumbing isn't gonna be legal on this island anytime soon and it would take more money to change the rules than it would to put in a cesspool or septic. Some composting toilets are allowed now, though, that's an improvement over how things were about a decade ago.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Of course, you could always get a licensed plumber to sign off on your own plumbing work, same with electric. They usually charge a pretty penny, but you still save if you have more time and know how than money. Basically you're working under their license, which is why the high cost. I'd just recommend that you don't try it unless you seriously know what you're doing AND get them on board BEFORE you start so that if you have questions, you can call them. The codes have lots of small, tricky parts these days. It's easy to get off on the wrong track and have to do costly backtracking.

Re: grandfathered structures…
If the building department wasn't around when the house was built, pretty sure a person has a valid argument for a grandfathered structure. Some people in county want to call it differently, but I don't see how they're going to win that argument. They sure do try though!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,911 times
If I want to buy land and build an unpermitted structure to live in. Are there any areas of puns which I absolutely can not build or I will get hassled or fined? Which subdivisions? Thanks

Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvyO View Post
If I want to buy land and build an unpermitted structure to live in. Are there any areas of puns which I absolutely can not build or I will get hassled or fined? Which subdivisions? Thanks
No guarantees anywhere, one way or the other, as explained in the other thread you've posted in.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
All unpermitted structures anywhere on the island have the possibility of being turned in to the Building Department as an unpermitted structure. All it takes is one person who doesn't like what you're doing or has any other reason to turn you in. It's really easy to turn folks in, one quick phone call will do it.

So far the County isn't out there looking for unpermitted structures, but if they decide to do so, what with the satellite imagery these days, it wouldn't take them more than a minute or two to find them. Also, the Property Tax folks know you have build a structure and they will tax you on it. If they ever share their database with the Building Department, there would be very few hiding places left.

The electric company won't give you access to the power grid without a permit so you'll be on solar with occasional generator backup and generators are pretty noisy, so that's another reason folks won't like an unpermitted structure. Not sure about mail boxes, banks, driver's licenses, etc. etc., without an address and with no permitted structure, no address. Over the past few decades things have really tightened up on these sorts of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island