Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times

Advertisements

These folks in downtown Hilo feel the same way... photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM

16 posts, read 61,441 times
Default Recycled building materials

Thinking about recycled building materials, I've read about a place called ReStore in Kona. It's a fundraising effort by the Habitat for Humanity organization. Its sounds like a thrift shop for builders. Anyone been there?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM

129 posts, read 535,299 times
I have. They have great deals on windows, doors, fixtures and countertops, cabinets (some were pretty shabby, some were spanking new). We have similar shops here, but most people just peruse the dump for goodies like that

Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Default Hawai'i vs Alaska

Yeah, the county authorities (the Big Island is all one county) are a lot more concerned about sanitation than you might have been used to in the wilds of Alaska. Existing cesspools and bogholes are causing big problems with groundwater contamination and runoff to the beaches.

Commercially made composting toilets are acceptable in lieu of a full septic system, and you can buy used and reconditioned ones for about half price in Hilo. But you'll still need some kind of septic field to handle greywater discharge, and it needs a permit. For short term you can use a chemical toilet, but you'll get tired of making runs to the county recycling center to dump it in no time.

To combat the practice of building without a permit, you can't get a power drop from the Electric company until you have an approved building plan. And it's hard to get a building plan approved without a stamp from an architect who is licensed in Hawai'i. Allow several months for the process, even now that construction is slow. They just don't move all that fast. In good times it can take 6 months.

Also, you need to consider your water usage carefully. For small quantities of safe drinking water you can haul it yourself from county spigots, but for more than that you'll need to plan for either rainwater catchment and filtration or tank truck delivery. Fortunately the U of H agriculture school has excellent resource materials online about rainwater systems.

Also, yes to shipping in your own pickup truck. It costs about $1,000 from California, more from northern ports, and it takes 2-3 weeks, but it will be worth at least a couple grand more as soon as it's unloaded in Hilo. I know people who fly to the mainland to visit relatives, buy a used car or truck to drive while they're there, then ship it back and sell it, making enough profit to pay for the trip. The best sellers are vehicles with really good gas mileage, because gas is so expensive on the islands.

Good luck

Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Coupla more thoughts... you will need pressure treated wood anywhere within 12 inches of the ground, because termites are a big problem.

Also, the same universal building code applies in Hawai'i as it does in other states, except that that the Big Island still uses the 1987 version. Ha! My architect had to go scratching for the old version when he started turning my sketches into plans, because he had thrown his copy out years ago when he moved back to the mainland.

And last but not least, you can do your own carpentry on a permittable house, but wiring and plumbing are required to be done by state licensed contractors, and pass inspections. And check me on this, but I think about 300 sq ft of unencumbered floor space (ie, not including cabinets, etc.) is minimum requirement for a permittable 2 person domicile.

The good thing is, all this information is available online, one place or another. You just have to be willing to take the time to do the research. Google is your friend.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM

9 posts, read 63,805 times
Mahalo for all of the great info.

Currently the plan is to come over and find a rental closer to Hilo town, and make some land improvements rather than attempting to jump through all the hoops of the building process. Hopefully within the next couple years finances and free time will align better and a building can go up on the property.

Best of luck to Alaskagrown on your project and maybe we will run into eachother on the island.

We are heading over in a month and couldn't be more excited to meet great people, relax and explore all of the great opportunities Hawaii has to offer.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,173 times
Hello AlohaAlaska & others.

I hope you guys are still reading this thread(?)

What a coincidence! I, too, am getting ready to head over to build my cabin (which sounds very similar to yours). My land is in Tiki Gardens/Paradise Court/Hawaiian Acres area - which I believe to be not far from you.

I have some pre-drawn plans I bought. Allows for concrete foundation, but I also want pier foundation. Guess that part of my plans has to be redrawn?

I am also looking for a small truck, and also a job to keep me going while building (coming over with only so many funds)...as well as room-to-rent or studio. I don't know if you have anything lined up along these regards w/friends, family, apartment or what...but since we are both doing the same thing, same place, same time...maybe we can form some kind of alliance to help each other out (things like sharing a truck? assisting the other in construction? sharing an apartment?...things like that.)

If not...maybe someone else out there already onthe island has some advice for me in any of these areas?

Hope to hear fro you soon...if still checking here.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 15,173 times
...BTW - my uncle is a seasoned contractor living in Anchorage. He's been excited also to come build when he heard about my project. (Thought funny since a lot of you guys are in/from AK.)

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM

On the composting toilet topic, check out Nature's Head. It's smaller and cheaper than anything else I've seen... about $850 and $125 shipping from Ohio.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 71,938 times
Check out composting toilets. They are permittable waste water systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island