Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocaps View Post
Okay, I've had parakeets for 12 or more years. With my first 2 birds, I never had a problem. After they died I decided to purchase 2 new birds. Now I have moths that I never had before. I bought the traps and yes they work but they capture so many, I can't imagine where they're hiding. I purchased sealed food and freeze it. I then fill a container with a twist top and I still have moths! I've moved the birds out of my room and even got rid of the old dresser they were on and cleaned and vacuumed every molding etc and still the trap catches them!! The birds are in a spare room (basically empty) for the summer and in my bedroom, the trap is still catching moths! What the heck? I can't figure this one out except that my other birds were tame and I could take the entire cage and clean it in the shower which I'm not able to do with these 2 crazies. I guess I'll have to let them out more and just dunk the cage in hot water every couple days. Got to go out and get more traps~think I'll order a 6 pack or more and try again to eliminate this issue.
The bottom and bottom edges of cages is a great place for the moth larvae to grow undetected. As you said you used to clean your entire cage in the shower and did not have moths. There is the answer, or at least a big part of it. Catch your birds place into a temp cage and thoroughly clean the cage once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
these moths can come in dry dog or cat food as well! Freezing that as well is the only answer once you have them.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
Freezing is indeed the way to go but you need to freeze pellets also. Freezing stopped a moth infestation that I got from giving my birds a seed 'treat' now and then. I quit the seed months ago, no more moths. Or so I thought. I only feed Roudybush maintenance pellets and I now have an infestation from my newest bag--that I wasn't freezing because this had never happened before.

The the tip about removing any 'webs' from under the bottom of cage or elsewhere on it is definately valid.

As a side note, last night I left a small bit of white wine in a glass in the kitchen. I thought all the moths were confined to the 'bird room', behind a closed door-----I had two seed moths in the wine this morning. They had access to a glass of water if they were seeking water; apparently there's something about wine that draws them. I have put a small ramekin of wine in bird room just now in an attempt to draw them until I can get some traps to finish the job.

OMG----I had just finished vacuuming all visible moths from room when I started this post. I just went in and there are 2 moths in the wine. It had only been there for about 10 minutes. Anecdotal, yes but apparently moths like a spot of wine and it can be used as a trap in a pinch
'-)

Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,170 times
Awesome information on freezing the seed and the moth traps. I just went around and probably killed at least 20 hanging out on the ceiling and think I had a pair mating. Got them all with the broom and then took that outside. I have a Quaker and a Parrotlet and I have to say the Parrotlet seems to make a bigger mess in her cage over my Quaker. I am now cleaning their cages twice a week and will keep on this moth situation as I'm in an apartment and I don't need them making their way to anyone else's residence !

Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM

30 posts, read 41,158 times
Freeze seed for 24 hours and you won't have moths.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,170 times
I've never seen anything like this in my life!! I knew we had moths from my birds seed but when I came in the door with the traps I was surrounded. I hadn't even opened the boxes yet and they smelled whatever it is that attracts them and were all over me like ants at a picnic. In the 10 minutes I've had the traps out I've already trapped at least a dozen, some are acting all weird and dopey so they are easy to clap and kill as well. I'm pleased so far....we shall see how it goes!!

Last edited by KarWoz; 08-04-2015 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: run on sentence

Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
if you have a dishwasher that has steam use it to clean as many items as you can
Other items i left outside until i was confident that a life cycle had been completed...or items waiting for the dish washer were left outside until they had their turn
I put pheromone traps in the offending cupboards(crazy expensive in canada, compaired to amazon usa prices)...outside birdseed was kept in a rarely used cupboard...but the kids must have not closed the lid...that were the moth bloom started.
I wish I could have all the hours of my life back I spent cleaning over and over again....I sprayed raid...but I dont think that killed all of them because I still had adults in my traps after.
although this started on my main floor I now see them in my basement and my top floor...just one every now and then...just enough to keep me stressed about it..
I have my washed contents of my cupboards on my dining table and uncleanable items outside in the sun...
I am not putting items back until my traps are empty...less hiding places... my house is a disaster.
But worse is pulling a plate out for you mother and having a moth fly out from the stack...

Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
Default Freezing bird food

Just a note on freezing the food. Freezing doesn't kill the moths, they go dormant and wake up when they thaw. But it does however kill any eggs in the food. Well that is the case with the small thin brown moths.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
When I had birds I would freeze their food before I ever started letting the birds eat it. Freeze a few days and it will stop your moth problem.
What about microwaving the bird seed instead of freezing? I'm guessing that unless the seed is kept frozen then the months will be once again a problem. Microwaving would kill the moths.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
Question Moth Armageddon!!!!!

We have had our Parrots (4 actually) for four years. We never had a problem with moth's or even knew they could come out of their food until last summer. From that point one it has been moth Armageddon!!!!!!!
We are trying to figure out how to kill them without hurting our Parrots.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds