Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times

Advertisements

Its not an ice box where I live in the Sacramento Valley of Northern California, but we do have a cool, wet winter season (somewhat regular light frosts, Pacific rain storms - generally in the 30s/40s at night and 50s/60s during the day). They're been keeping it more in the garage, but its still cold in there. I'll speak with the old guy again about it. As aggravating as the noise is I don't want the poor thing to die from neglect. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
Exclamation Turn them in.

A Blue and Gold Macaw should be kept in a comfortable climate that does not get below 55°F or 60°F or you may risk the health of the bird.
Some parrots can take a bit of cold such as the Monks, the Kia and the Patagonian Conure.
There are wild sustaining parrot colonies in New York, Chicago and San Fransisco. See them on YouTube.

We have a mutant Green Cheeked Conure (a yellow sided) and we live in Northwest Montana.
We take her almost everywhere and when it's cold she will climb into my jacket to keep warm !
She is already ten years old. ~♥~

Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
A Blue and Gold Macaw should be kept in a comfortable climate that does not get below 55°F or 60°F or you may risk the health of the bird.
I raised parrots for over 30 years (including several Macaw species) and that is not true. They are much hardier than you think. Freezing temperatures and/or cold, steady breezes are detrimental to their health.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i agree with DAW on the temperature issue, its NOT temperature that will kill this bird...
however fomr the description the bird does NOT have protection from drafts/wind and THAT is what will very quickly destroy a birds health...
ive seen chickens in alaska live very long comfortable lives with nothing but a little unheated chicken coop and eachother to keep them warm, however those same chickens in a DRAFTY coop during a cold snap in texas would quickly get sick and die. parots are exactly the same, i wouldnt suggest prolonged cold periods, but they can handle colder than 60 degrees with no issues assuming they are well protected form the elements.
but the TEMPERATURE shouldnt be the concern...
the fact that the bird seems to only have a play stand with no protection from morning dew, wind/chilly bmorning breezes ect IS the concern.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I raised parrots for over 30 years (including several Macaw species) and that is not true. They are much hardier than you think. Freezing temperatures and/or cold, steady breezes are detrimental to their health.
I was talking about captive outdoor parrots where breezes are common and captive parrots are seldom fed properly and are easily sickened by cold temps. The original post was not about healthy wild birds.
I have raised and rescued birds for over 30 years also.
I'll not argue about details but it sickens me when pets are mistreated.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Yes, please call the SPCA. Also a call to your local vet may help you in locating a bird rescue group that may be able to help. It sounds as though your neighbor isn't crazy about the parrot and the mess they make and has convinced his gf to keep the poor thing outside. They may welcome having someone take the little guy off their hands.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,942 times
I live in the mojave desert and my neighbor has a GIANT red macaw, The bird lives outside its very windy here and its gets windy and cold during the night. I believe the cage is way to small for that bird it also has not protective anything its a regular bird cage. not to mention that all of the houses in our neighborhood are so close that during the day this bird's constant shrieking makes everyone upset and they all want to kill this bird. The family has two dogs a giant rabbit and the bird so clearly they have a thing for animals but there is no way that bird is living safely is there a number I could call to report this?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Try Animal Control.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Yes. Call, do this poor bird a favor. Since you've spoken to them, and they didn't give a care they had their opportunity to correct what they had been doing. Everyone is right, these birds need much more interaction and a safer environment.
@Dubumo, & @OP
Here is a link that shows Exotic Rescue Groups, w/ a map of each state and a list of the organizations. The webpage speaks about rescuing several exotic species, birds among them. I hope this helps. http://exotic.rescueshelter.com/Washington

Last edited by JanND; 01-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabumo View Post
but there is no way that bird is living safely is there a number I could call to report this?
Absolutely!

Also contact these folks. They can either help directly or point you in the right direction http://garudaaviary.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds