Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times

Advertisements

Your bird is a budgie (which Americans usually call a parakeet), and judging from the bright blue cere, it's male.

How to Identify Your Budgie's Sex: 8 Steps (with Pictures)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times
Here is my other bird which is white and gray.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I tell what sex is my bird?-img_1369.jpg  

Old 09-22-2016, 02:46 PM

It's harder to see the color of the cere on the second budgie, but I think it's blue, which would mean male. So you probably have two males.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
in this case...ceres might not help yet...that blue baby is YOUNG
the blue budgie still has its forehead barring, as they mature the baring on the face receeds backwards...

the grey looks like a slightly older male (still too young to be in breeding color though) look on the back of his head, is there black bars (like in that above picture) if so hes a little bit older than the blue and looks dark enough to be male.
if theres NO barring howver you have a whiteface and there a little harder to age (whitefaces don't get the barring) and in that case like the blue it could go either way.

in the case of youngsters you can still sex based on the ceres (the area around the nostrils)
both males and females will have a blue tint, BUT, females will be WHITE and blue and males will be PINK and blue (or more uniformly blue all over)
if that's the case based on those pictures your grey is a male and your blue is a YOUNG female not yet through her first adult moult...
but given they are young its impossible to guarantee that without DNA.

if you need to know for sure you can DNA sex using a little blood OR a feather for right about $20...
Avianbiotech.com - Avian Sexing Center

Old 09-27-2016, 03:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
If it talks, ask it.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times
I will try to take a closer picture of my gray bird. Thanks everyone for the help.

It would look like my bird's would get real tired standing on their wooden rod 24 hours a day? Would a nest work?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 AM

74 posts, read 63,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are DNA services online where you can pluck a feather, send it in, and they will sex your bird.

Please do not allow someone to surgically sex your bird.

Is there a reason you need to know?
Birds don't have be sexually sexed these days. An avian veterinary technician can draw a sample of blood from the birds' toenail, send it off to a special lab somewhere to have it DNA-gender tested, and then either call or email the bird's owner with the results. That's how I had my pet Congo African Grey Parrot, Aziza DNA-tested. The results came back a week and a half later; she's a female, who's now 6.5 years old.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's harder to see the color of the cere on the second budgie, but I think it's blue, which would mean male. So you probably have two males.
If the budgie has a blue cere, that means it's a male. A beige cere on a budgie indicates that it's a female.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What kind of birds are they? Some you can tell by looking, others you can't and they need to be genetically sexed.
Getting a DNA-gender blood test for the bird is really the only accurate, sure-fire way to know what gender a bird is.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It would look like my bird's would get real tired standing on their wooden rod 24 hours a day? Would a nest work?
Skip the nest, and put in a corner platform instead. Also put in a second perch that has a larger diameter (or even better, one that has a variable diameter, like a natural branch does). That way your birds can rest their feet by changing where they perch, as the differing perch diameters will put pressure on different parts of their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds