Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 16,179 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job interview at the Honda plant in Steele Alabama next week.
The only Alabama city that we have ever been to is Mobile.
If he takes the job, where would be the best place to live? We currently live just North of Grand Rapids Michigan and have lived in the area our entire lives.

We have 2 school age and 1 college age children.
We are looking for a small town atmosphere within a short drive of big city fun, hospitals, airport, etc.
Some place with water and lots of outdoor activities. Family friendly, yet with some nightlife not to far away.
Excellent schools are high on the priority list.
We would be looking for , hopefully , a lake front house in an upscale area.

Thanks for your advise... this is an awesome resource for people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 PM

37 posts, read 168,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead86 View Post
My husband has a job interview at the Honda plant in Steele Alabama next week.
The only Alabama city that we have ever been to is Mobile.
If he takes the job, where would be the best place to live? We currently live just North of Grand Rapids Michigan and have lived in the area our entire lives.

We have 2 school age and 1 college age children.
We are looking for a small town atmosphere within a short drive of big city fun, hospitals, airport, etc.
Some place with water and lots of outdoor activities. Family friendly, yet with some nightlife not to far away.
Excellent schools are high on the priority list.
We would be looking for , hopefully , a lake front house in an upscale area.

Thanks for your advise... this is an awesome resource for people
my husband and I are from michigan as well we were south of you in Richmond my husband is a die maker. We moved to the huntsville area about a month ago ,sorry to say that i'am not to familar with the areas around Steele however I will say the everyone is very nice here and it is very hot !

Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Hello fellow Parrothead, Please do a search of this forum for either "Honda" or "Steele." I believe there were a couple of discussions a few months ago. I know that there are some houses on a river in that area, but don't think there are any lakes of any size in that area. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,179 times
Looking at the Atlas.. (sometimes hard to tell from an Atlas) it looks like Guntersville is within an hours drive of Steele.
That looks pretty. And it is close to Huntsville and the colleges.
Has anyone been to Guntersville?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 40,699 times
if you want to live REALLY close to steele, i'd check out some place on "green Sport" lake there, in Ashville. But if your looking for a much larger lake, Be sure to Check for a place on Guntersville Lake( it is very nice) There is Snead State College in Boaz( which is inbetween Steele and Guntersville) and there is also a Gadsden state college that isn't too far, then of course with Liven in Guntersville you could go toward HUntsville for a larger school. I hope you find what yall are looking for!

Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Are you thinking of living on a lake or just want to have water nearby? Houses on Lake Guntersville are expensive 300K-400K and up for pre-exisiting homes directly on the water. Lake Guntersville is about 45 minutes from Steele and around 30-40 from Huntsville (excluding rush hour)
If you are looking for a little nightlife you will find it in Guntersville. Many areas in AL are still 'dry' with no alcohol being sold, so that is something you may be interested in checking out since cities where there is no alcohol served you won't find much in the way of nightlife.

Boaz, Albertville and Guntersville are all in a row along 431and at times it is hard to tell where one city ends and the other begins. You can check out housing in this area and still be close to the lake. Property taxes are very low here but there is a state income tax. Utilities are not bad even during the summer heat or the winter cold. Boaz has a small hospital which serves the area.
Check out the link below for more info on the different cities in the area.
//www.city-data.com/city/Alabama.html

Hope this helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area