Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think once the 2 - 4? major apartment complexes go up and are leased out from day one is when you will see commercial development follow in a major way. And I mean more so then the spaces the residential projects have set aside themselves within those structures.

The broke ground on the LIV project this week and the other Parkside project should follow shortly. I think they'll both be ready by summer next year. I bet they'll both be leased up completely before they are even finished.
The great ongoing debate between my wife and I is where we'll live when the last child graduates high school in three years. If we stay in the 'Ham, then it's back down to Southside/Forest Park. The only question is this: High-rise or old house? I'm voting for the high-rise. I hate yard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
To respond to what Raj and Tourian said, I think H&M would be a great addition to the city. It has nothing to do with Huntsville having it first. I have only lived in Birmingham for two years and feel no competition with Huntsville. However, even though I have lived here for such a short time, I have fallen in love with the city and the blank canvas of possibility that it is.

Bringing H&M to the city can't compare to Old Navy in any kind of way. While the quality may not be that of something you may find at Saks, it is a major attraction for many people because of the trendy and TAILORED fit that you can find at a mid tier price... Something you can't possibly find at Old Navy.

Growing an urban area like Birmingham has very little to do with expensive retail prices but more to do with offerings for the majority of the people in the city.

If you're looking for expensive clothing, I'm sure there will be plenty of options at the new retail center being built in Mountain Brook.
When we got H&M in HSV, I was pretty excited. It in NO WAY compares to Old Navy. Its appealed more to the teens than to the adults, to be honest. My teen son loves H&M. I'm really shocked Birmingham doesn't have one yet. It would definitely do well there.

I wish Birmingham would get an Ikea, it sucks the closest one is ATL and that one is always packed. Or a Crate and Barrel, I'm surprised that has not made its way to Bham.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The great ongoing debate between my wife and I is where we'll live when the last child graduates high school in three years. If we stay in the 'Ham, then it's back down to Southside/Forest Park. The only question is this: High-rise or old house? I'm voting for the high-rise. I hate yard work.
Definitely high rise. Yard work is lame. Let the up and coming family set have the restored craftsman homes in Norwood. I would want the view from the new midrises coming in. In 3 years you should have a good choice but I think the Highlands one will have the best view.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Definitely high rise. Yard work is lame. Let the up and coming family set have the restored craftsman homes in Norwood. I would want the view from the new midrises coming in. In 3 years you should have a good choice but I think the Highlands one will have the best view.
I did one of those in Avondale. We loved that house and loved the return when we sold it, but never want to go through all that again.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
When we got H&M in HSV, I was pretty excited. It in NO WAY compares to Old Navy. Its appealed more to the teens than to the adults, to be honest. My teen son loves H&M. I'm really shocked Birmingham doesn't have one yet. It would definitely do well there.

I wish Birmingham would get an Ikea, it sucks the closest one is ATL and that one is always packed. Or a Crate and Barrel, I'm surprised that has not made its way to Bham.
Ikea would definitely be a nice addition to the city but do you think Birmingham could support it? I guess it could if the Montgomery and Huntsville traffic were diverted over this way instead of to Atlanta. Hmmm.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
Ikea would definitely be a nice addition to the city but do you think Birmingham could support it? I guess it could if the Montgomery and Huntsville traffic were diverted over this way instead of to Atlanta. Hmmm.
You know, I've never understood the appeal of Ikea. The furniture is essentially disposable.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:22 PM

It is hip and "in" and apparently all that matters. I just don't think we are big enough to get it from what others have said unless they go by CSA numbers as opposed to density. I think we'll get that dastardly H&M disposable fashion place before we get the fashionista disposable furniture place.

Incidentally I emailed the "Grown Up Chucky Cheese" people again about coming to the Ham. Last time I did it a few years ago I got the nebulous "we're exploring several options" or whatever answer after only a day or two. It's been over a couple of weeks...and they haven't responded. So you know what that means...

THEIR ARRIVAL IS IMMINENT.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
I am amused at how many people don't understand how one can compare H&M with OLD NAVY. There are multiple possible criteria. When I make the comparison, I am addressing the demographic not the merchandise. They both draw most strongly for 'teens' and early twenty'somethings'. This is a precarious place to be in with a business. First, how long are you that age. Additionally, most of the other companies that built empires around that demo are in dire straits now. Or gone altogether. Huntsville basically traded Abercrombie for H&M. There is not much room in that demo.

Not to sound snarky, but people like Tourian and I , who are constantly making innuendo of them are just doing so as a bit of private joke. (or we could care less because we have outgrown the trends) lol

Tourian, keep us posted on 'duh & buh'.

raj

Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Not to sound snarky, but people like Tourian and I , who are constantly making innuendo of them are just doing so as a bit of private joke. (or we could care less because we have outgrown the trends) lol

Tourian, keep us posted on 'duh & buh'.

raj
Indeed. And yes I will.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Indeed. And yes I will.
Obviously the site of the very first CD Birmingham forum get together, followed by the traditional name-calling and fistfights. The melee would start when somebody in their cups looked up from the table and said, "Wow. This place isn't all that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area