Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
When are actual restaurants going to open at the Shops of Grand River? Are they waiting on a phase 2 to open? What restaurants would you like to see there?

Also,Chicken Salad Chick is finally opening their 1st location here, with 2 more already in the works.

I suspect that substantial restaurant development will not start until the residential construction at Grand River gets underway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
When are actual restaurants going to open at the Shops of Grand River? Are they waiting on a phase 2 to open? What restaurants would you like to see there?

Also,Chicken Salad Chick is finally opening their 1st location here, with 2 more already in the works.
How about a Cheddar's for the family set. Gotta have at least one BBQ joint, maybe two - so throw in a Full Moon and/or Jim N Nicks. Then do at least one steak/seafood place of which I couldn't tell you. Doesn't have to be a chain like Outback, but perhaps a more exclusive chain new to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I suspect that substantial restaurant development will not start until the residential construction at Grand River gets underway.
That makes sense. The mallgoers seem to be covered by the food court that place has.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

522 posts, read 846,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
How about a Cheddar's for the family set. Gotta have at least one BBQ joint, maybe two - so throw in a Full Moon and/or Jim N Nicks. Then do at least one steak/seafood place of which I couldn't tell you. Doesn't have to be a chain like Outback, but perhaps a more exclusive chain new to the area.

Yeah, I agree with the categories, but would probably add a breakfast type restaurant. Denny's would be an option. I agree with Cheddars, and the bbq choices (although Dickey's is expanding in Alabama). I can see a themed restaurant like Elephant Bar or Rainforest Cafe opening, as well as, an upscale restaurant like PF Chang's or Firebirds out there.

That makes sense. The mallgoers seem to be covered by the food court that place has.
The food court there is well done for the mall shoppers.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:11 AM

The Summit is adding seven new to Alabama retailers:

Seven new-to-Alabama retailers to join the lineup at The Summit Birmingham | AL.com

Quote:
Tumi: This New York-based retailer is recognized as a leading international brand for high-end travel items. It sells luggage, briefcases and accessories and will occupy 1,000 square feet.
Calypso St. Barth: Founded on the French West Indies island of St. Barth, the company has grown from a French resort wear line to a global luxury brand for women. Its new store will cover 1,800 square feet.
Kendra Scott: Austin, Texas-based jewelry designer Kendra Scott is seen a color trend setter in the fashion industry. The company is known for its work with local charities in communities where its stores are located. The Summit location will occupy 1,500 square feet.
Lilly Pulitzer: This brand traces its roots to the 1950s, when Pulitzer opened a juice stand in Palm Beach and realized she needed something comfortable that would camouflage the stains she got on her clothes from squeezing fruit. The retailer sells brightly-colored women's clothing, beachwear and resort wear, and its new store will cover 2,500 square feet.
The Art of Shaving: The company sells aromatherapy-based grooming products and high-end shaving instruments. It will have a 500-square-foot store at The Summit.
It is good to see the center updating its oldest section to keep it fresh and vibrant. All too often malls get complacent and then get old and stale and then it is too late to do anything about it once business starts sliding.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM

688 posts, read 1,205,474 times
I could see The Summit possibly landing Tiffany & Co.'s lifestyle format store at some point.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
I could see The Summit possibly landing Tiffany & Co.'s lifestyle format store at some point.

I doubt this seriously as the Bayer's have a long history with Bromberg's which is why it has been the fine jeweler of choice at the Summit and in Mountain Brook for decades. (founded in Mobile in 1836 by a Prussian immigrant, and the oldest company in Alabama)

Not since Tiffany's investors structure changed has there been as much panache associated with its name. (few stores are corporate anymore) Such is the world of conglomerates and chains. Like FAO SCHWARTZ and BONWIT TELLER, many great old names become a brand within a retail machine or disappear all together.

Does anyone even remember what ABERCROMBIE and FITCH use to be. Amazing what they can do with a name.

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 06-01-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 AM

It seems we are getting a new "breastaurant" to go up against Hooters and Tilted Kilt. Twin Peaks is coming...

Twin Peaks bringing its man cave of a restaurant to Hoover's Patton Creek | AL.com

Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It seems we are getting a new "breastaurant" to go up against Hooters and Tilted Kilt. Twin Peaks is coming...

Twin Peaks bringing its man cave of a restaurant to Hoover's Patton Creek | AL.com
I have eaten at the Twin Peaks in Buckhead-Atlanta, and actually enjoyed it (for what it was). I was told that one was coming our way, and here it is. We have wonderful local eateries, and I am loving that more are opening. We, however, need to continue to lure 1st to the market chain restaurants and stores, since those are the perfect options for suburbia. A Twin Peaks type restaurant would also do well in Lakeview or Five Points South, js.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM

I used to love Hooters wings, but they just aren't as fresh tasting as they used to be. Maybe this place will restore my faith in establishments that put quality of food first over anything else...

Meanwhile...
Quote:
Another new store is coming to the Summit.
J. McLaughlin, a modern, classic American sportswear and accessories brand for men and women will be opening its first Alabama store at The Summit this fall.
J. McLaughlin coming to The Summiit - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I used to love Hooters wings, but they just aren't as fresh tasting as they used to be. Maybe this place will restore my faith in establishments that put quality of food first over anything else...

Meanwhile...

J. McLaughlin coming to The Summiit - Birmingham Business Journal
Well, I guess The Summit is not trying to lose is title, as THE place to shop on Alabama. More higher stores, sounds like the lower end stores better watch out when their leases are up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area