Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM

261 posts, read 738,974 times

Advertisements

Could anyone recommend a licensed roofing contractor? I've read through the BBB reports, but would like to have more to go on. We have a few small problems that need immediate attention, and think it's likely we'll have to reroof before too long. Frequent high winds/wind driven rain seem to be shortening the roof's lifespan.

Please DM if there's anyone you'd suggest we avoid, too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

156 posts, read 304,519 times
I am about to have to replace a roof, myself. I have asked around, but I've only gotten a couple of names. The first: Rick Cooper, Cooper Construction (205)281-8264. We have gotten an estimate from them-- seems a little high, but he has a large crew and they work fast. The couple who gave me the name were happy with the quality of work.

The other name I have is S&S Construction. Googled them for a phone number: 205-655-6051. I have not gotten an estimate from them yet, but a friend of mine used them not too long ago. She couldn't say if they were reasonable or not because it was an insurance claim, and she didn't know how much they charged. They were happy with the work.

Whatever you do, don't pay anyone until they have COMPLETED the job. There are those who would string you along and take weeks to finish a job--or never come back at all. Work it out ahead of time before they start, so they don't hit you up after day 1 wanting to get paid for a portion of work.

I do have a different (cell) number for Cooper Construction that I can pm you if you are interested.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 AM

261 posts, read 738,974 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks! It's amazing how many contractors won't even return phone calls. The repair job doesn't involve an insurance claim, so you'd think the roofers would be more responsive.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 AM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times
I had a new metal roof put on our house. I called 22 roofing contractors. 4 of them showed up and gave estimates. one was Roof Plus........the guy wanted 36k to put a metal roof on my house!!!!! I had it done by a friend of a friend for 13k and am happy with the work.

Same with electrical and plumbing. I set appointment for estimates with numerous companies........they just don't need the work I guess.

I found a guy to do the work by pulling into a parking lot where a business was being remodeled. There was a guy doing the electrical and plumbing. I talked with him......great guy and great prices.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM

12 posts, read 31,007 times
Well at least it's not just me. I was wondering! We're getting/attempting to get work done on a place down there before we move down and I am waiting MONTHS for bids and not getting call backs. It's amazing to me. Here, they jump all over if you indicate you want work done! I'm not sure if they don't need the biz there or if that's just the way everyone operates (we'll get around to it kinda mentality).

We also need a roofer...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,434 times
Default Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHaus View Post
Could anyone recommend a licensed roofing contractor? I've read through the BBB reports, but would like to have more to go on. We have a few small problems that need immediate attention, and think it's likely we'll have to reroof before too long. Frequent high winds/wind driven rain seem to be shortening the roof's lifespan.

Please DM if there's anyone you'd suggest we avoid, too.

Thanks!
We are a lic. contractor and work in the Birmingham area. We perfrom indust. maintenance as well as new construction including roofing repair and replacement. Contact us at 205-763-7111 or my cell 256-689-0019

Ask for Neil

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
I used Bear Roofing- finished in 1 day-a tad higher than others but was very happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area