Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am really excited to be moving to Birmingham for a job relocation next month or April at the latest. I will be traveling most of Alabama and into Nashville, TN but must reside (company policy) in the Birmingham area. I'd say no more than 30 miles away, but like the idea of living in "actual" Birmingham. I am really at a loss so far in what I am finding through internet resources. I am hoping that y'all can give me some help/recommendations on areas or better yet specific places. I'm really not sure what a "good price" is in Alabama as compared to Florida. Here is what I am loking for:

2 bedroom (or 1 or studio loft if ammenities are better for the $)
Rent: Between $600 and $900
Hardwood Floors would be a plus
Central Heat/AC (I say this because many of the postings I have seen online have window units)
Updated Kitchen (would prefer stainless appliances)
Safe/secure parking
Washer/Dryer in unit
Accepts Pets

I think I would like living downtown (I live downtown in WPB now), maybe Southside or 5 Points, or maybe Hoover based on what I have read. But, I am very open to any area and admittedly know very little about Birmingham. I am 28 years old and single and would like to live somewhere that is "fun"- close to outdoor activites, close to restaurants/night live, but is also safe as I will be living alone. I will be looking to date and hope the dating scene in Birmingham is a bit easier/better than here West Palm Beach. I will also be looking to make new friends and get involved in the community (maybe Junior League or the like). Any advice on this would be great too!

Thanks SO MUCH for any advice!

Sincerely,
Alana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

56 posts, read 138,536 times
From what you have posted, it sounds like you would like it best downtown or in Southside. I would axe Hoover off the list if you want to live close to nightlife and be part of the social scene. Its not that you can't do that from Hoover, I just dont think it would be as fun. There are a lot of loft apartments in the downtown area, and a decent little bar scene there. I have friends that live in Cityville 121, which is a loft/apartment concept, with a communal pool and exercise facility. It is walkable to bars and restaurants downtown as well as the Five Points area and has secure parking, washer and dryer in the unit, and I think its ok with pets although I am not sure. They also have security cameras and on-site security, so I think its pretty safe. It is also close to the new Railroad Park, which is fantastic. The downtown core (the central business district) is very safe statistically speaking.

The other place you might consider is Highland Park, which is a part of Southside. There are a lot of older apartment buildings here (from the 1920s through the 1980s), and you can walk to a number of restaurants and bars in the Lakeview area. There are also three large city parks within Highland Park, so it is very pet friendly. I lived there for a year and really enjoyed it - there are always people walking around, and plenty of young people live there.

The final place to consider is around Five Points itself. There are a lot of UAB students in this area, which translates to a lot of restaurants and bars. I have the least experience living in this area so I will let others comment on that.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 33,143 times
vezz77 nailed it again.

Lofts downtown START at $900 (Liberty House Lofts- 2bed/1bath) and go up to $1800.

Liberty House is a great choice ( garage parking, lots of sq ft, washer / dryer connections, controlled access) but right now the building is full. It will change by April though.

Cityville is awesome- pricey- ($1.45 /sq ft) but it is very nice

CiTYViLLE Block 121

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM

906 posts, read 832,075 times
Welcome to B'ham AlanaT, we would be glad to have you in the actual city of Birmingham! If you are looking to live in a hip area with nightlife and entertainment, then downtown, or Southside is for you. Our suburbs are great too, but like a previous poster said, it would not be as fun. Downtown is on the rise with many new people and residential options. It is also rated one of the safest areas in the entire metro area. Some great areas inside the city limits include (Downtown, Southside, Five Points South, Crestwood, Avondale, Highland and Forrest Park. Keep us up to date on your move, and again, welcome to the Magic City!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,295 times
Thank y'all so much for the advice. I really appreciate it! I feel like a have a bit more direction in narrowing it down now. What I'd really like to do is come up with about 5 places I could go look at over a couple of days in Birmingham. Are there any other specific apartments/condos in this area (Downtown, Southside, Highland, etc.) that any of you have lived in or know people that do/have?

I have loooked into Cityville and will check out Liberty now too. Are there any websites you'd reccommend to look for apartments? I have been trying Craigslist, but it it so full of spam/rent to own house ads and I find that some of the other ads misadvertise what area they're actually in. And then every other ad is for Branchwater Apts. (which I read on here isn't the best apt. to live in). It seems like I can get a lot more for my money in B-ham vs. Florida, so I think I'd like to stay at under $800 for a 2 bedroom. Is this reasonable with the ammenities I listed above?

Any more advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
In Southside S and G properties (google that name and it'll come up) has a number of cute, historical properties that should fit your budget. For a few years I had a 2 bedroom shotgun style apt with a great porch in a early 1900's 4 unit building. They accept cats and small dogs. If you want a new apt (built in the 00's) that would likely have a nicer kitchen you should go towards Downtown and Highland. The only reason to go for the apts built in the 70's or 80's is that they're cheap.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM

56 posts, read 138,536 times
I would also try Selectmyspace.com. They list a lot of historic places in the Highland Park area. Most of the places are smaller complexes - maybe 12-16 units, and the price varies with the location and amenities.

If you find any specific places and have questions, let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area