Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM

56 posts, read 138,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I wouldn't count on it. Parents need something that shows a possible system change, at the least, which is why charter, magnet, and alternative schools can be even reasonably close to suburban schools. I'm pretty idealistic, but its totally understandable that parents don't want to send their kids to bad schools.
I completely agree. I wouldn't expect parents to send their kids to a bad school willingly. But, it is interesting that so many school aged children with caring parents are zoned for Avondale but end up going elsewhere. If all of these parents collectively decided to send kids to Avondale, my guess is that its ratings would improve and there would be more children in each class on grade level. I don't know that this would happen, but it could even create a domino effect, wherein motivated parents that want to stay in Birmingham see the improved ratings for Avondale and move into the district to send their kids there.

I would be all for trying out charter schools in Birmingham. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone in Alabama will be trying out charter schools any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezz77 View Post
I completely agree. I wouldn't expect parents to send their kids to a bad school willingly. But, it is interesting that so many school aged children with caring parents are zoned for Avondale but end up going elsewhere. If all of these parents collectively decided to send kids to Avondale, my guess is that its ratings would improve and there would be more children in each class on grade level. I don't know that this would happen, but it could even create a domino effect, wherein motivated parents that want to stay in Birmingham see the improved ratings for Avondale and move into the district to send their kids there.
I've always thought that this is what it would take: a critical mass of private school parents enroll their kids all at once. Folks have done that at Avondale to a degree, but not in large enough numbers to effect a shift in the feel of the school. Actually, my thought was always that the city should reopen Comer School (I know there is a private school there now) in Crestwood, with an enrollment zone encompassing Crestwood and Forest Park. But that would take a committment from the neighborhoods to send the kids there, and it would likely be a tremendous political battle within the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area