Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,040 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Birmingham in early 2012. Need advise about jobs and places to live. I'm a single female (57 y/o); schools & nightlife aren't important. I'm interested in areas that have parks, walking trails, within walking distance to shopping. My monthly budget is $850 (apartment, townhome, house). Five years experience working in Accounts Payable. Any advise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
I would say Southside Birmingham. The commute is likely to be the shortest (although there are jobs in the suburbs as well). There is no such thing as walking to shopping. Perhaps Homewood would be the closest, but the shopping is mostly in the unwalkable suburban areas. There are trails at various places throughout the area. Southside is next to Vulcan. Farther east on the south and eastern side of town is Ruffner. If you choose to live in the suburbs there are various smaller and larger trails. The largest state park nearby is south of Hoover.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I would say Southside Birmingham. The commute is likely to be the shortest (although there are jobs in the suburbs as well). There is no such thing as walking to shopping. Perhaps Homewood would be the closest, but the shopping is mostly in the unwalkable suburban areas. There are trails at various places throughout the area. Southside is next to Vulcan. Farther east on the south and eastern side of town is Ruffner. If you choose to live in the suburbs there are various smaller and larger trails. The largest state park nearby is south of Hoover.
You're mostly right, but there are some apartments in Mountain Brook across from the Botanical Garden that would prove ideal for her.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Ok, sounds good. I'll look into Southside Birmingham. As long as there are trails available, I can live with that. Thanks bluebeard.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're mostly right, but there are some apartments in Mountain Brook across from the Botanical Garden that would prove ideal for her.
Across from Botanical Gardens would be perfect. I'll definitely look into this area. Thanks so much, cpg35223.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Aren't a lot of those being razed to make way for the new commercial development? If not, those would be an excellent location for her.

There is also the Crestwood/Eastwood area, all the little houses around the intersections of Montevallo Road, Montclair, Oporto . . . That would be if she wants a house rather than an apartment. Those would be close-in and sort of walkable to the Eastwood Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie and Publix. But I don't know if the rents are in her range. They might be close. Not as tony of an area as Mt. Brook, but lots of young families over there and you're on the edge of MB but paying B'ham prices.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
So you don't yet have a job?? I'd be concerned about that, and want to have housing near work if possible.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Aren't a lot of those being razed to make way for the new commercial development? If not, those would be an excellent location for her.

There is also the Crestwood/Eastwood area, all the little houses around the intersections of Montevallo Road, Montclair, Oporto . . . That would be if she wants a house rather than an apartment. Those would be close-in and sort of walkable to the Eastwood Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie and Publix. But I don't know if the rents are in her range. They might be close. Not as tony of an area as Mt. Brook, but lots of young families over there and you're on the edge of MB but paying B'ham prices.
That's a good suggestion, too. Good biking area.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM

No, I don't have a job yet. That's kind of why I have been inquiring about areas to live. I want to try to find a place that's accessible to the highways and recreation and still be reasonable. I've been informed Birmingham is not a walkable city. Do they have walking/biking trails in the parks?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prissy55 View Post
No, I don't have a job yet. That's kind of why I have been inquiring about areas to live. I want to try to find a place that's accessible to the highways and recreation and still be reasonable. I've been informed Birmingham is not a walkable city. Do they have walking/biking trails in the parks?
Depends on where you go. Southside, Mountain Brook, and Homewood are extremely walkable. You really need to just come here and look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area