Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM

56 posts, read 121,121 times

Advertisements

Looks like I am going to be moving to Birmingham for a new position with a company in Hueytown. I would work M-F, 8-5. I am a 38 year old divorced guy with no kids that live with me. I have a 15 year old that lives in Michigan who might visit occasionally, but doubt he will ever want to move to Alabama. Where would be a good place for me to live? I do not want a huge commute to work. Looking to spend around 800-900 a month, and I would need a place for both my car and my motorcycle. I prefer a house, but will consider an apartment if it is NICE. Please be specific with town names, I am still getting to know the geography of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
I would say the Hoover area. It's not a long drive from Hueytown down I-459 and it's a much nicer section of town. McCalla is also a possibility. Essentially, I would explore the area along I-459 starting a couple of miles east of the I-59 interchange and work your way eastward.

However, why don't you fill us in on what you enjoy doing in your spare time? That will really help us nail down a location for you. Birmingham is really a collection of neighborhoods, and each has pretty specific appeal.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 AM

After work I am typically a homebody. I have plenty at home to keep me busy. I might go out for a beer or two at a local pub. Birmingham isnt much bigger than my home town of Grand Rapids, so I have to believe that if I really wanted something I would just drive to it. I just really hate deadlocked traffic, and would rather live close to work than deal with it on a daily basis. I also do not mind the country or the city. I can live in either comfortably and have in the past. I guess the biggest thing for me is feeling safe. In Grand Rapids, I could go downtown without any worries and do my thing. I also felt that way in the numerous homes I lived in or owned there. I want that in Birmingham too. Not to say I wouldnt lock my doors, but I like the thought of not worrying about heavy crime in the area. Plus, I know only one person down there, and he is not what I would call a close friend, just someone I know. So I need to be able to make friends, or be in an area that I will have people around that I can meet and get to know as neighbors.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1q View Post
After work I am typically a homebody. I have plenty at home to keep me busy. I might go out for a beer or two at a local pub. Birmingham isnt much bigger than my home town of Grand Rapids, so I have to believe that if I really wanted something I would just drive to it. I just really hate deadlocked traffic, and would rather live close to work than deal with it on a daily basis. I also do not mind the country or the city. I can live in either comfortably and have in the past. I guess the biggest thing for me is feeling safe. In Grand Rapids, I could go downtown without any worries and do my thing. I also felt that way in the numerous homes I lived in or owned there. I want that in Birmingham too. Not to say I wouldnt lock my doors, but I like the thought of not worrying about heavy crime in the area. Plus, I know only one person down there, and he is not what I would call a close friend, just someone I know. So I need to be able to make friends, or be in an area that I will have people around that I can meet and get to know as neighbors.
Well, if you're wanting to make friends, particularly with single people, then I would likely point you to areas near Southside/Homewood/280. There are far more places to get a beer and meet people in those areas than way down in McCalla. More things to do. I recognize that you like to hang at home, but when you want to get out, there are more opportunities outside your doorstep that way.

I would also visit and drive around the area, getting a feel for the various neighborhoods. They are remarkably different. Case in point, I met someone professionally who moved to town and lived in Pelham and complained about the total lack of nightlife in Birmingham. When I pointed him to Southside/Five Points/Lakeview, etc., he said, "Damn! Why am I living all the way down there?"

Anybody else with an opinion here?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 AM

179 posts, read 407,055 times
I grew up and went to school in the Hueytown/Pleasant Grove area. Also worked in Hueytown for over 25 years. My feeling is to live near work, and drive to wherever you want to have that beer, since you will drive to work 5 days a week vs going out maybe once or twice a week. There are a few sports bars and such in the area (haven't lived there for a while). Get with a good realtor in the area to find a house to rent; the apartments I remember didn't have room for more than one car per occupant, nor secure storage. The McCalla/Eastern Valley areas are growing, and there is a new outdoor mall at exit 1 on I-459. House rentals may be scarce for a little while, since there was a peak in demand after the April tornado in PG. Helena is also a nice little town, about 30 minutes from Hueytown (lived there the last 10 years I worked), but traffic can be tough on the county road between it and I-459.

Ron

Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info everyone

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,610,849 times
I don't know much about that area, but I would to live either in Hueytown or an immediately adjacent place if you want more land, shorter commute, and quieter life. Southside Birmingham (near 5 points, Highland, Avondale, etc...) would be if you wanted to live closer to the city life. I wouldn't think the commute would be too horrible, since you are reverse commuting, but if your going out consists of a low-key local pub living closer to Hueytown might be preferable.
As for crime, I again don't know much, but some parts of Bessemer (but not all) are likely places to stay away from. I think Fairfield and Midtown in general are a little more dangerous. But I really can't say with much certainty.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM

I am actually digging on maybe a city location again. Had one back home where I had a loft and I really liked it. Parking is my biggest issue with a car and a bike. Highland park seems pretty cool too with the historic homes, much like an area of Grand Rapids I lived in as well.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,796 times
definitely look into southside area- alot of lofts are downtown also

Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,230,505 times
Dreamer, I too am a GR person who just relocated back to GR from Birmingham. Southside is great if you are into the downtown type of living, lots of restaurants and lots of little pubs, kinda like Eastown in the GR area. I felt the safest in Hoover and lived in a nice apartment complex with a pool, basketball/tennis court, club house, garages, and outside parking, they also had some small storage areas about 5 x 5. One bedroom will run you about 650 a month with basic cable included. Why don't you rent on a short term contract (anywhere from 30 days to 6 months) and then get the feel of the Birmingham area? I felt totally safe in Hoover and I had coworkers who lived in Homewood, NE Birmingham, McCulla, Helena, and also downtown Birmingham. They lived without any fears although some who were closer to downtown Birmingham did have security features. If you google rent in Birmingham AL you will come up with some ideas, there is also a local re-location service(s) in the area that will help you. Enjoy the weather and friendly people, although I now have my family I sure miss everything about Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area