Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,405 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am planning on moving to Birmingham from Jackson, MS. I am a college graduate and do not have a very high income (I make about 27 a year, but I will be moving with my girlfriend who makes around the same.) I would appreciate any help or tips on areas that fit my price range that aren't high in crime. I assume Birmingham isn't much different than Jackson (although I could be wrong!). In Jackson a lot of the crime is in the downtown areas, but the suburbs are fine. I currently live in the Brandon area and wouldn't mind an area similar to that. Also I am going to visit the area in a couple of weeks. Do you have any recommendations on what I should visit, where I should eat etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Southside/Forest Park is probably ideal for you, especially if you like kind of an artistic lifestyle. Plenty of things to do, lots of places to eat, and a pretty diverse group of people.

Avoid Hoover/280/Pelham, etc. Not because they're not fine places in their own way, but the lifestyle isn't as inclined towards the young couple.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I will be visiting in two weeks to look around, I will definitely check out the suggested areas.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Look around Homewood too...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
Look around Homewood too...
Will do! Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM

136 posts, read 596,075 times
They say to avoid HWY 280 because of mainly traffic, however, many young couples are in the area. There are a lot of affordable apartments around and you have everything you need within a few mile stretch.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustygulas View Post
They say to avoid HWY 280 because of mainly traffic, however, many young couples are in the area. There are a lot of affordable apartments around and you have everything you need within a few mile stretch.
What you say is true. I would offer that if you're a couple who is more interest in arty things, a more diverse crowd, etc. etc., then Southside/Forest Park/Homewood would be a better fit. If, on the other hand, you're determined to set down roots, buy a house and start a family, those areas are affordable.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,061 times
i think you shold really consider he homewood area. its near the southside as well and you can get a feel for the metro area from homewood. i've been stationed in jackson and worked in brandon from 98 to 2001. jackson is in some ways like bham and vice versa. hope you come to stay

Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,398 times
I disagree with earlier post. We lived in the Hoover area from 1995-1998 and we liked it a lot. However, Hoover is a lot like Homewood in it is expensive to buy a home. If I had to choose an area that is close to Brandon, it would be Pelham. The commute may be a little bit but it is an up and coming area that is more affordable.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 82,970 times
Default Areas to consider

If you want to get the best bang for your buck for housing, I would avoid these areas: homewood, hoover, hwy 280, inverness. They are all good areas and low in crime for the area, with excellent shopping, but they all have horrible traffic and most of all are overpriced. Here are some alternatives: fultondale and gardendale(both are less than 15 miles north of downtown on Interstate 65 and are relatively safe with very affordable housing for the area, they are also growing and better shopping is coming); trussville/pinson(about 20 miles north of downtown on Interstate 59, both great areas with more affordable housing than hoover, 280, etc., trussville is growing and even has its own mall); Forest park, certain areas of southside, south avondale(all crunched together near the southside of town close to uab, shopping, affordable, older housing, lots of young professionals and students live there and it is relatively safe and close to all major interstates); leeds and moody(about 20 miles east or west of town on interstate 20, affordable housing, a lot of new affordable housing, decent shopping and relatively safe. You may want to check out al.com's real estate section, it has all the areas around town and you can search rentals or homes for sale and it has a very good map. Hope this helps. Trust me, I feel your pain, I make about the same money as you, but if you play your cards right, i'm sure you'll find a great place in a great neighborhood that is affordable for you. Let us know where you decided to move to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area