Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

I shouldn't get pulled in. I promise only one post on the matter. Yes, my ego is getting in the way.

I still hold many of those opinions. But both my ideas and Birmingham have changed somewhat. Its going to get harder as having a school-aged kid forces me out of my bubble a little. I'm still not sure how I feel about my child growing up as an Alabamian. This will obviously be insulting to some here, but htat is how I honestly feel. And I still maintain that Birmingham isn't my top priority of where to live, but that its not so bad and its quite comfortable in some ways. My values and worldview are still not reflected by the majority who live here. I still feel not the same as most people here. I have also learned that that is not always so horrible of a thing. Perhaps if I leave I will look back and think "how did I stay there so long"? I have stayed largely for my spouse's and my careers. It is exceptionally great here for them. But I have also changed my ideas to more truly accept a diversity of ideas. But I think I have changed for the better living in a truly different place. You can only hold on to dwelling on the negative for so long. I think I understand the subtlety of life. Little is just black and white, good and evil. I suppose I've been co-opted, both on the forum and in real life. I defend Bham when I'm away, when people say ignorant things they don't understand. bham may not be my ideal place, but as the post asks "is it underrated"? Given the reputation: absolutely! I sometimes say the city's motto should be "Birmingham, its not as bad as you think!" I guess I have become a little more Birminghamian, in a way. That's not entirely a totally horrible thing.

My posts may be less outspokenly critical, and I do believe there is a low threshold for criticism here. On the other hand, you just spout nonsense and personal attacks. And you claim you don't care, but post the longest posts and ruin entire threads. I realize this appeal to stop is wasted. But I tried once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
@Bluebeard

As someone who has been been labeled anti progress, anti Birmingham this week because of not supporting an f'n road project of all things. Being objective is a dirty word on this forum and its a shame really because it hinders real progress in this area. Blind homerism only mask the true issues this metro area faces. Being a true progressive in this area is tough, but we have to ask ourselves is it worth it?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM

427 posts, read 431,186 times
Birmingham is not underrated. It has the reputation from the past and present that is accurate.

(The last 3 generations of my family from my father's side were born and raised in the Birmingham area.)

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatchubawdybout View Post
You can't make a silk purse our of a sow's ear,
I came to the forum to brag on how much I enjoyed Birmingham the last visit. All I can say is wow to the comments. Especially the one above'.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I came to the forum to brag on how much I enjoyed Birmingham the last visit. All I can say is wow to the comments. Especially the one above'.
thank u glad u enjoyed yourself...... don't listen to that clown u mention some people don't know no better

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
thank u glad u enjoyed yourself.....
The scenery towards Atlanta caught me off guard. No one thinks of Alabama having mountains that close to the city. Birmingham IMO is very under rated.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The scenery towards Atlanta caught me off guard. No one thinks of Alabama having mountains that close to the city. Birmingham IMO is very under rated.
yea whenever you get a chance to get back travel down red mountain expressway toward Vestavia hills and that's a nice view as well

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM

577 posts, read 512,448 times
I had the chance to work in Birmingham for a few months on an assignment with the company I work for. I was very suprised at the city. Very friendly people, many great places to shop, and eat. If I had the chance to work/live there I wouldn't turn it down.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I had the chance to work in Birmingham for a few months on an assignment with the company I work for. I was very suprised at the city. Very friendly people, many great places to shop, and eat. If I had the chance to work/live there I wouldn't turn it down.

Neither do we........

raj

Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. I have cleaned up this thread, please in the future report bad post rather than respond. I rely on you all to help me keep the forum helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area