Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 07:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Do you have any idea whatsoever how many cities in this country once "lost everything good" they ever had, and are now THRIVING?! Hell, New Orleans was nearly completely wiped out by a hurricane and even it managed to come back better than it was. New York City was once a crime-infested, rotting cesspool on the brink of financial insolvency and is now one of the safest, most exciting and livable cities on earth. Philadelphia, Cleveland and Pittsburgh (which like Birmingham is a former steel town) have all seen an amazing renaissance that began IN THEIR DECAYING CENTRAL CORES.

It is incumbent that a healthy, growing, thriving metro area have a healthy, growing, vibrant urban core. For too many years, Birmingham was in decline and the metro area, as a result, has remained stagnant. What's happening in Birmingham proper can only mean good things eventually for the entire region -- including all those classist white enclaves "over the mountain."
Don't be jealous. And not only "whites" live over the mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is going to be a multi use facility, read the link in the OP. Some people incorrectly call it a domed stadium which implies that its primary use will be for football. That is not the case. That is why your comments about not having an NFL team, all the leagues that have failed, and the loss of Alabama football have no value and are of no consequence. This facility will be an expansion of the BJCC.

You can not complain about personal attacks and then blatantly use them.
It's a shame that they can't simply dismantle the Georgia Dome and move it to Birmingham, because despite the name, that's precisely what the Georgia Dome is -- a multi-purpose building that just happens to be big enough to host football games (among many, many other events). It's been widely successful and has more than paid for itself in the 22 years since it was built. Just seems foolish to tear down a perfectly good facility just to sate the ego of a billionaire NFL owner.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Don't be jealous. And not only "whites" live over the mountain.
Jealous of what?!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
Quote:
That's been answered already. Our current facilities are old and inadequate for the events we host and some we miss out on completely.
Ok I got you. I just didn't know to much about Birmingham facilities. But I think the Dome is a good idea if they can get the ball rolling, I was just asking why a dome.

The reason I was asking is because I thought Bham should build a new arena instead, in hopes of attracting a NBA franchise. Then let the NBA's forthcoming open the doors for other investments, such as the Dome and even greater attractions, such as themeparks and places like Dave & Busters.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
I'm no fan of the dome, and wasn't even for the baseball park necessarily, but there is no danger of going baseball games downtown, and its far from a wasteland. Even in the <10 years since I've been here downtown and Southside have transformed. Downtown is becoming a real heart of the city, and statements about perceptions of danger and how empty downtown is obviously haven't been there in years. And all the good restaurants before you get to the city? There are plenty of decent ones both in and outside of the city proper.
However, I will not the caveat, that the troll is correct that many OTM communities are not "white". As much as I'm not a fan of Hoover, it is one of the most diverse places in the state. Bham is increasingly following national trends, with the diversity in many suburbs outpacing that of the urban core. But trust me, Newsboy is not jealous (That's not a slam, just saying that he has no need to be jealous given his identity isn't based on being here)

Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The problem is that for too many people in Alabama, sports (particularity football) is the only thing that matters. And you're a fine example of that.
Nothing compares in our state. Reality is what you must deal with.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Nothing compares in our state. Reality is what you must deal with.
Well that's just sad. Really. Good thing there are at least SOME people from Alabama on this site (like Tourian and Raj) who understand that there's more to life than football.

I am of the opinion that Alabama's obsession with college football is one of the things that holds the state back. It most certainly is an obstacle to Birmingham ever getting pro sports franchises.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
College football will have a place in this facility, but it isn't the main focus. Even if UAB is the a strategic partner. We still host the Classic, we still have the Compass Bowl (or whatever it will be named), once you add in the home schedule of UAB, if that is the case - that still leaves a huge calendar of days that have to be filled - and they will do it with conventions, trade shows, conferences, concerts, etc etc.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
College football will have a place in this facility, but it isn't the main focus. Even if UAB is the a strategic partner. We still host the Classic, we still have the Compass Bowl (or whatever it will be named), once you add in the home schedule of UAB, if that is the case - that still leaves a huge calendar of days that have to be filled - and they will do it with conventions, trade shows, conferences, concerts, etc etc.
I wish the B'ham area could get the SEC championship game back and the Iron bowl.

Look forward to lunch at O'brady's tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
I wish the B'ham area could get the SEC championship game back and the Iron bowl.

Look forward to lunch at O'brady's tomorrow.
What would it matter if we did? By your own admission you'd be too scared to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area