Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 04:45 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
30,000 would be solid average attendance for UAB. And if that were the case, they wouldn't be talking about doing away with the program.

And I agree that not having an on-campus stadium is detrimental. The problem is... I don't see a partnership between Birmingham and UAB giving them an on-campus stadium. Any kind of joint venue would probably be near the BJCC/Uptown district. That would not be as good as an on-campus stadium for attendance, though I suspect it would still be a huge upgrade over Legion Field because there are things to do in the immediate vicinity of the BJCC. Legion Field? Not so much.

But the crux of the issue is a chicken/egg type thing. The university really wants to see some profitability before it dives head first into a 9 figure project. And the public want a nice place to watch the games before they make it profitable for the university.

As someone who wants Birmingham to have more energy, of course I would like to see a new facility built. But if I were in charge of making decisions for what is best for the university, I can totally understand why thinking the UAB football program is a money pit not worth the investment at the current time.

Also, re: that article about only 22 football programs making money... I like how it just glossed over that half (or about 60) programs make money according to the NCAA and attributed it to shaky accounting without going over why its own numbers should be believed over the NCAA's. The data I've seen shows every top 25 team in the country made money, as well as quite a few others.
I know this thread is about the dome stadium and I see your point... But what I'm suggesting is not even having a joint venture. The city CAN build the dome without UAB based on the tax and fee increases already approved. The city needs to stop what I consider to be a misappropriation of funds. I know that's a heavy word to use but the increases were approved for the stadium. I'm sure a lot of the money goes to other endeavors in the city such as tax incentives for new companies, etc. However, I think overall this is an issue for the taxpayer.

As far as UAB, I would suggest they build an on-campus stadium of their own without the city involvement. A similar team, Troy University, has done really well with their on-campus stadium over the years. Their most recent renovation of the stadium expanded the capacity to 30,000 which stays full during college football season... And yes, that's in an area that supports Auburn and Alabama football just as much as Birmingham. People in that area, including family members of mine, attend games at Troy from 60 miles away even if they aren't real fans because it's fun. If a small town like Troy can fill up their stadium, I would imagine that Birmingham/UAB could do it.

I would even suggest that they build the stadium, if possible, as close to Region's Filed as possible. This would create sort of a sports alley including the coliseum, football stadium, and Region's field, further expanding the reach of the Parkside district. I would expect to see the same type of flow out of this stadium as you do Region's field into local bars and restaurants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veteran...roy_University)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
The location that has been on the back burner for UAB stadium is about a block from Regions Field.
Your post is well thought out in relation to Troy. An obvious justification for those who need it.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM

That's awesome news. I was unaware that they had a location in mind. What do you think about a stadium on campus? Do you think it would get the same kind of attention that Region's Field has?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
That's awesome news. I was unaware that they had a location in mind. What do you think about a stadium on campus? Do you think it would get the same kind of attention that Region's Field has?
I have been so in support of it. Since UAB has focused on the campus housing it makes even more since to have a place that people can walk to for events of many kinds. Which brings me to your last question. I actually think that UAB Stadium would be equal to Regions in that it could host a lot more than a BB Park can. UAB is so obviously on a non stop growth trajectory that any infrastructure toward fulfilling its services to the campus and greater community is a no brainer to me. I realize everyone has their own thoughts and agendas, but I find it hard to overlook the potential and the growth of this great institution.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 11-12-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM

I completely agree. I think this would make a huge difference for UAB students attending the game but I think that plenty of other people in Birmingham would attend the games as well. "Walkability" from a stadium or any large venue makes a huge difference for me in whether or not I will attend. When you leave a game at Legion, there is no other option other than to get in your car and go somewhere. Many people go home after if they even show up to the game. If it were to be placed in a location like that, I see a lot of people filing out and going to nearby venues to watch the other football games, etc.

This rendering looks awesome. Was there ever any discussion about if this design is made for future expansion? Hopefully they also considered some a small area around the stadium for tailgating.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I completely agree. I think this would make a huge difference for UAB students attending the game but I think that plenty of other people in Birmingham would attend the games as well. "Walkability" from a stadium or any large venue makes a huge difference for me in whether or not I will attend. When you leave a game at Legion, there is no other option other than to get in your car and go somewhere. Many people go home after if they even show up to the game. If it were to be placed in a location like that, I see a lot of people filing out and going to nearby venues to watch the other football games, etc.

This rendering looks awesome. Was there ever any discussion about if this design is made for future expansion? Hopefully they also considered some a small area around the stadium for tailgating.
I don't know about expansion, but suspect some addition would be possible. This plan included thirty thousand seats.
An interesting aspect is that even before the BOT shot this down, all twenty seven luxury boxes had been taken for a minimum of five years. When a large business community gives that sort of support and the BOT does not even discuss the possibility in the open, one must come to the conclusion that the minds are closed. Not a good environment in higher education. I think it all will be over come

The head of the new foundation is an on going contributor to the system in seven figure amounts. I just can't imagine them not considering his thoughts on this project and the program.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
They are just dead set against building up UAB football as another brand when the UA brand is gushing cash. Even if city of Birmingham is willing to help foot the bill. There's got to be some equilibrium here - some middle ground that I hope they can reach.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Yeah.... And I think 30,000 seats is plenty but you never know what kind of expansion could be needed down the road if this model proved successful. Referring to Troy again, they regularly fill the stadium (not to capacity but it looks pretty good.) I think Birmingham would do more than that.

I was unaware that the BOT shot this down. I assumed this was still in the master plan. I find that hard to believe with the luxury boxes having been reserved. That sounds extremely close minded but who knows what their motives are. Maybe there really is some influence from UA? I know that has been said for years but I really don't believe that UA even considers UAB to be any kind of threat to their program. Especially not where the program is today.

I also think that the Birmingham domed stadium can be completely independent of UAB games being held there. The conversation about the dome has to really be about something other than sports. Obviously if a pro team opportunity presented itself once it's built, then that's just gravy.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Maybe there really is some influence from UA? I know that has been said for years but I really don't believe that UA even considers UAB to be any kind of threat to their program. Especially not where the program is today.
Definitely plenty of influence from UA.

I believe in their eyes it would be a waste of time and money and foolish to build up a rival brand in your own backyard. No matter how small it is, it takes away from your flagship brand and is no net gain. Every dollar you spend could be used towards making the big brand better.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They are just dead set against building up UAB football as another brand when the UA brand is gushing cash. Even if city of Birmingham is willing to help foot the bill. There's got to be some equilibrium here - some middle ground that I hope they can reach.
What is gushing cash? The UA football program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area