Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,488 times

Advertisements

Once dying, Birmingham is suddenly hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
I live in Huntsville, but get down to Birmingham quite often on business and to visit wife's family. I'm an Alabama native and got to say that Birmingham is definitely a much improved city over the one I remember visiting in the 70s and 80s as a kid. I would really love to see the Magic City become one of the great cities of the US. Good read.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Good article. I really like the baseball park and it and rr park are nice signature pieces for the city's turnaround. Almost every day there's a story of some business moving in, growing and expanding. I like this trend of small but consistent and quantifiable victories.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM

112 posts, read 183,689 times
nothing but overstatement for a third-tier southern city - yes, it's come a long way, but it's far from greatness

Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,168,747 times
one thing for sure is that racism is perhaps stronger today than ever. I mean you can read the comments and know exactly the race the person commenting is. yea we live in a country with the freedom to say what we wants to say, but constantly blaming one race of people for everything needs to stop. problems that occur in this world occurs with all races not just one. being a black man, i have never encounter someone of another race thinking and believing that another race is the reason for the troubles of this world, and hopefully i don't. but to read those comments and see that it's thousands and thousands that do think that way is troublesome in a major major way. you would think grown people would know how to act as respectful adults, but the sad thing is that they are brainwashing their kids to believe what they believe. the article was about seeing improvements in Birmingham. most people who commented hasn't or don't frequently visit Birmingham to know on a daily what's going on. just like every city, town, community in the world, problems exists and Birmingham is no different. instead of dreading on the bad which every city, town, community has...why not focus on the good and trying to be positive. it's a perceptional thing that people have which seem to make people look stupid and ignorant. don't listen to people words and try to go off what they say. don't be that dumb. look and visit for yourself and get your own opinion about it. how you going to come up with a conclusion after hearing a reason for another person.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
nothing but overstatement for a third-tier southern city - yes, it's come a long way, but it's far from greatness
Umm,Birmingham is a second tire city in the south. Its metro population is over one million.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 PM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Look at the comments. Most residents don't agree.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM

118 posts, read 251,006 times
I love Birmingham. Like any large city it has crime and bad parts of town, but it makes up for it with beautiful places, great restaurants, and for the most part very friendly folks

Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Those people who don't agree are trolls who hate Birmingham. They don't live in the city and have been brainwashed into believing that if they step outside their car in the city they'll be immediately murdered. I am a resident of the city of Birmingham. I drive a taxi on weekends and I can tell you that the N.Y. Times article is spot on. Almost every weekend now there are big events drawing people from everywhere. The town has definitely come back to life in a big way and it's getting better and better all the time. The "haters" as most of us call them, would have you believe this city is a filthy cesspool, don't believe them.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Well, most of the comments are just stupid - not ignorant, just plain stupid. When they try to add humor to it it's just that much more embarrassing.

When I went to a Barons game a week or so go - I saw mostly whites attending the game. I saw expensive cars not being broken into parked on the street. I also saw people of all ages and colors having a good time and not being shot or mugged.

You'd think I'd made it all up or it was hallucination I had from my padded cell at the psych ward to hear the way some of those idiots portray it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area