Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM

558 posts, read 436,474 times

Advertisements

A bill of sale does not have to be notarized. I know this from personal experience because we bought and sold a car in the last month, and neither was notarized. The one we bought has already been registered.

So get your friend to also give you a bill of sale for a future date. You will definitely need a license and proof of insurance plus the bill of sale to register it. You will also have to pay sales tax on the price listed on the bill of sale.

I just didn't want you to be surprised by the sales tax thing. It's not the full 9 or 10% you pay on other purchases. Without doing the math or the research but being fairly good at "in my head" math, it struck me as about 4% of the purchase price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,803,226 times
A bill of sale can theoretically be written in crayon on the back of a Milo's napkin.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,699,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc View Post
Hi all

I do not yet have a driver's license, but do have a learner's permit and am taking classes to get a full license.

Recently a fiend of mine decided to move, and was willing to sell me his car for a good price. I bought the car yesterday, and have a bill of sale that is notarized. Now I need to get a new title, and register the car, but do not have auto insurance which is required.

1. Can I get insurance on my own, with just a learner's permit?

2. I know that I have to register the car within 20 days of buying it. But can I wait longer? I can get a full license in about 4 months, and get insurance at that time which should allow me to register the car. If I can wait longer, what will be the penalty?

Thanks.
If you have Learner's Permit, you can get Car Insurance as all they need is your DL number written on your Learner's Permit. Register the Car as soon as possible and give the Driving Test in your Car. Why to wait for 4 months? It should not take that long. Thats just wastage of Time unless you dont have money for Insurance, Registration?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,212,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
If you have Learner's Permit, you can get Car Insurance as all they need is your DL number written on your Learner's Permit. Register the Car as soon as possible and give the Driving Test in your Car. Why to wait for 4 months? It should not take that long. Thats just wastage of Time unless you dont have money for Insurance, Registration?
Yeah. I wouldn't want an uninsured car sitting in my driveway, even if I cannot drive it yet. What if it got stolen or vandalized? What if a tree fell on it?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM

15 posts, read 23,869 times
Hi all...

Thanks again, for all the suggestions. I decided to have one of my other friends be the interim owner of the car. We have a notarized Bill of Sale under his name. He will also insure and register the car, and in 5 - 6 months when I clear my test and get my license we will transfer the vehicle to my name.

It was virtually impossible to get insurance with my learner's permit - not that I ever thought it would be a piece of cake. I certainly do understand their point of view. Also, the biggest reason I got the car (which is quite old and may not last more than a couple of years) was to practice driving. Now I have the opportunity to do that - that is all that matters for me, right now.

It was sane advice from all of you - sincerely appreciate you guys taking the time to help out.

-- jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area