Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM

522 posts, read 846,744 times

Advertisements

Has there been any recent announcements for Lane Parke? I just wonder about the style center it will be...The Summit, Patton Creek, SOHO, or a mixture?

I was at Patton Creek today, and it is looking kinda sad, as well as, Lee Branch. These large centers are in great locations, and yet because of so much competition, they both have several vacancies. I just had to wonder if Lane Parke would be in a similar position when it opens in a few years.

Some areas seem to praise the idea of being overbuilt (via sprawl), while there are existing centers that could be filled before building new centers. This makes infill ever more important. I'd rather have infill than building new shopping centers, in an effort to get a Cheesecake Factory, a Macy's, a West Elm, A Nordstrom, etc, e.g. Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Google Lane Parke, there are a lot of photos. Of course, it is being built in the style of Mountain Brook Village. It is not a large commercial area.
It is laid out with streets and both on street and hidden garage parking.

It's tenant mix will not reflect any thing going on in the area. It will be full.

Google Kessler's Grand Bohemian Hotel to get a good sense of the style. (it will be located across the street from the botanical gardens.

The first apts. will be open late next Spring and the first commercial construction should be underway then and finished about a year later, so it is basically a two year time table at this point.

raj

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
An article on AL reports that Birmingham is at about 95 percent occupancy on commercial development and 93 percent occupancy on apartment occupancy the latter of which is higher then Atlanta or Nashville.

Those both seem to be fantastic stats for Birmingham to hang their hat on especially with so many proposed projects being tossed around that may or may not come together. Any of a number of new projects could be around the corner.

With so much focus on rentals I cant help but think of how the Hoover effort to squelch bussing is perceived by some as an effort to remove undesirable low income minorities from Hoover schools. It would seem that downtown could easily add the castaways from Hoover in a readymadr system designed for parents who work and students who dont have access to cars. Or would they just move to Alabaster or Pelham?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

With so much focus on rentals I cant help but think of how the Hoover effort to squelch bussing is perceived by some as an effort to remove undesirable low income minorities from Hoover schools. It would seem that downtown could easily add the castaways from Hoover in a readymadr system designed for parents who work and students who dont have access to cars. Or would they just move to Alabaster or Pelham?
Those families went to Hoover for the schools, first and foremost. Schools will remain a priority for them, and they'll go where they need to go to make it work for them. Birmingham could build the most attractive family rentals ever, but that doesn't fix the general lack of appeal of the schools. I think you'll see some move to Pelham and Alabaster, and others a bit further south to Shelby County and go to Calera and Montevallo schools.

Just out of curiosity, where are the apartment owners in this conversation? They always seem to be incredibly silent when any of this goes on. Whether it was Homewood's retaking of the Valley Avenue properties to build a school, or the sale/demolition of the primarily Hispanic Lorna Road complex, there never seems to be much public comment as long as the money is right.

But in this case, Hoover isn't talking about buying them out. Hoover is talking about freezing them out. You'd think there would be some pushback, and maybe there is behind the scenes. But I wonder, if Hoover schools make good on the threat, if there might be some consideration that the property owners/managers provide some sort of contracted school transport. It could be built into the rent. That would leave out those in single family homes, but it would go a long way toward helping the kids who are most in need.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:51 AM

I know they went for the schools but like it or not buses are a necessity and so is affordable rent. If some other areas dont provide the right conditions - like say Pelham building high dollar rentals off exit 242. I would also like to think pelham and alabaster have the tiny kingdom mentality in that they dont want to be the next hoover either.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
future growth........DOWNTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downtown's resurgence buoying metro area's commercial real estate | AL.com

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
I'm VERY happy for downtown Birmingham! It's about time it's getting the much needed attention it deserves.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Why I-20 may be Birmingham's next big thing - Birmingham Business Journal

East Birmingham

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
It is growing toward Atlanta as predicted years ago.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM

Atlanta has nothing to do with the growth in that direction.

Barbers.

Grand River.

The terrain.

Honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area