Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

The last time I went to an indoor mall it was to an anchor store at Madison Sq Mall and I never set foot in the mall itself. Prior to that, it was the same in south Florida. I'm not paying a premium and schlepping shopping bags. I did go to Century Mall a couple of times in the heyday. Wasn't terribly impressed. I used to work at Eastwood. If ever a mall missed out by not completely renovating, that was the one. It could have been done in sections and still have had the name, rather than razing it and trying to rebuild. I still remember kids cruising Eastwood. First time I had ever seen it and I never realized it had European historical roots in the nightly promenades in some cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I think we can have another enclosed mall it just might not best for that area being between Pinnacle and Brookwood. With Galeria and Brookwood being the only two enclosed malls left and concentrated on the southern side it would be nice I think for an enclosed mall for the north side.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 8,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Enclosed malls are, for the current decade, dead. People want to see the store they want and park in front.
I know, I know, personally I prefer an enclosed mall, but "lifestyle center" is current.

Bridge Street in Huntsville is wonderful in the fall and spring, but on cold, rainy winter nights and blazing hot summer days, they may as well lock the doors. Plus you have to walk a long, long way to get to anywhere.

DEAD are they ?? tell Benderson Development that is smarter than the average bear, now building a two-story luxury mall in Sarasota FL at the University Town Center which is a 315 million dollar project for high end shopping between Tampa and Ft. Myers. DEAD ?? hardly Maybe Birmingham is more "dead" than other places in terms of shopping. Benderson already has on board the following (just for the mall itself, not across the parking lot or already across the street) SAKS FIFTH AVENUE,Dillard's (180000 sq ft), MACY's (160000 sq ft), and even bs restaurants like CapitalGrille, CheeseCake FC, Kona Grille, Season's 52.Brio Tuscan, American Eagle, Smoothie King, and just across the same parking lot, there is already Super Target, Old Navy, Sports Authority, SteinMart, Golf Smith, and a 8000 sq ft ETHAN ALLEN and a 4100 sq ft Panera, a standalone Fidelity Investments center ! nope, malls and shopping are NOT dead, it depends on the approach and design....you can GOOGLE "Benderson Development Sarasota" for yourselves and plainly see, that intelligent design of malls and shopping areas, again ESPECIALLY MALLs are not dead ! some cities are, and some regions are. ............across the street from the Mall , Benderson already has put in a Nordstrom Rack, Total Wine (huge), Marshalls, Pei Wei, Bonefish, Carmel Café, LeeRooy Selmon's Rest., Apolonia rest., Ffit2Run, Carraba's, Stonewood Grill, Kohl's, Buffalo Wild Wings, FRESH MARKET, Square ! Burgers,, BJ'sWholesale, The Half Shell Oyster House (from Biloxi), Bank of Montreal, BB&T Bank, CVS, Dollar Tree, (2) Starbucks, Publix , ABC Liquors, M&I Bank. NOTHING IS DEAD ABOUT MALLS, and Sarasota-Bradenton is NOT a tourist destination, it's a "seasonal resident" location, it's not anywhere close to the size of Tampa either - Nope MALLS are not dead - some economies in certain regions are DEADER than others. Do yourselves a favor and understand that shopping in Birmingham is not a model of excellence, not really. I don't have a link, but if you want to see massive retail and mall investment GOOGLE University Town Center by Benderson Development in Sarasota, and GOOGLE perhaps a photo by Aerial Innovations INC. Malls are alive and well. Again, Sarasota is no tourist trap like Orlando or Vegas..and Birmingham is CERTAINLY larger with more resources than little ole Sarasota.....maybe..lol

Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 8,701 times
For the true record, even the management at RICH'S was suspect of their own commitment in re the "clientele" when they FRIST opened ! Many managers in Birmingham like Marye Bidez didn't like the area OR the layout of the store itself, and the "look" of the mall either. I don't think Weisnstein liked it either - the goods being brought in for Brookwood didn't sell at CP. It was a logistical nightmare for Atltanta distribution and restocking/buying. The area still sucks.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
@ HAHFF-TCK

First, don't anyone ask why I am responding to an old fool who has made four posts.

Person: Rich's opened at Brookwood in 1974. (forty years ago) It was still the Rich's Company. Eighteen months later is was bought out by Federated. (who by the way chose to expand this store you say was so marginal) I know the names you are throwing around go back to the beginning. (haven't thought of Bidez in years)
Did you know the world has moved on? The store has done something right or Macy's would have ditched it, much less build a real Macy's at the Galleria. (followed by a second, that is commitment)

Just to keep this short I will point out that vastly most all this 'good retail' you listed already exist in Birmingham and more. You are simply revealing that you are out of your time.

If you must, keep visiting us, but there is a world on the internet, you should explore it and not waste time on remembering your glory days.

raj

if this sounds harsh, we get so many like you. No harm done but would seem a waste of your time.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 01-21-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM

It's the same guy dont waste your time Raj. The writing style always betrays him.

East Birmingham is going to come back. It is inevitable. The only color that is going to matter is green - as in currency.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Its really a shame that businesses that have done so well here in town are not better citizens. ALAGASCO's new operations center would have worked very well where CP is. And its employees would have become customers of the businesses, such as restaurants that are already there.

Their choice of Derby Pkwy and I-459 is not bad, but it can successfully fill in between I-20 and I-59 with a wide variety of uses. CP's location does not have that luxury. It will never draw a large number of prosperous shoppers to retail there. That is why both those malls are gone. And there is a good reason, it is questionable when it comes to safety and security.
Even right after the new WM opened two employees were in the parking lot shooting at each other.

sheesh.

It is just a shame that companies don't step up and do what they can. One has to wonder if ALAGASCO even considered it or even if someone at city hall bothered to suggest it. People here need to be thinking out of the box.

raj
Considering the trouble Alagasco is in with the Gate City tragedy you would think they would be doing everything they can to spread goodwill and give back to the community. I know it is too late to change any major plans with the operations center but they could do more to help rehab the east city limits.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Tourian, thanks for the heads up. Sometimes I can't resist, I suppose I have plenty of time to waste.

raj

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think we can have another enclosed mall it just might not best for that area being between Pinnacle and Brookwood. With Galeria and Brookwood being the only two enclosed malls left and concentrated on the southern side it would be nice I think for an enclosed mall for the north side.
Yeah, a north side enclosed would be nice, as the center of a new district. As the guy above stated, an enclosed mall is opening soon in Sarasota, Fl. Also, a 2 level mall dubbed, Gulf Coast Galleria, is being proposed for south Mississippi. It is going to be the only 2 level mall on the Gulf Coast. ..area between Mobile and New Orleans. I saw a website talking about it, a couple weeks ago. It will have a Belk and a Dillards. Since there is a Belk in Fultondale, 2 of the anchors for a proposed mall in north Jeffco, would possibly have a Macy's and a Dillards.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Yeah, a north side enclosed would be nice, as the center of a new district. As the guy above stated, an enclosed mall is opening soon in Sarasota, Fl. Also, a 2 level mall dubbed, Gulf Coast Galleria, is being proposed for south Mississippi. It is going to be the only 2 level mall on the Gulf Coast. ..area between Mobile and New Orleans. I saw a website talking about it, a couple weeks ago. It will have a Belk and a Dillards. Since there is a Belk in Fultondale, 2 of the anchors for a proposed mall in north Jeffco, would possibly have a Macy's and a Dillards.

The only Belk on the north side are Jasper and Cullman. Fultondale has JCPenney.

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area