Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSteach View Post
The optics of having the Democratic Party's convention for 2016 in the heavily Black populated southern city of Birmingham Alabama does nothing for the attraction of independents which the Democratic Party must attract in 2016 in order for them to be successful.

It does however enhance the perception of racial bifurcation not only in the State of Alabama (a truly red state) but in the nation. A "Black City" hosting essentially a "black political party" (the perception, not the reality) does not demonstrate any 'big tent' philosophy. It certainly doesn't make good TV or press. Invariably and assuredly, the mainstream press will once again focus of the atrocities of Birmingham's PAST. That will become the backdrop of the Convention. That's suicide for the Democratic Party on a national level. That will become the 'story'.

All 'attendees' will have to pay homage to shrines such as Sixteenth Street Baptist Church and neighboring park (without the bad dogs of course). Again, these images would create a distraction, and the worst purely political optics imaginable for a positive, forward-thinking convention and press coverage.

If you believe that Hillary and Bill Clinton would go along with a Democratic Convention being held in any city like Birmingham Alabama in 2016, then you don't understand the Clintons, and of course the Chicago 'machine'.

A convention might happen in the distant future for Birmingham, but it's not going to be 2016 for this reason and others.

Forget about 2016.

I think you are taking this too seriously.

Reminds me of many years ago when everyone told us that Mercedes Benz was not coming to central Alabama. Then on the morning I opened the paper and there was the headline. The biggest since WWII.
No, I did not run out and buy a MB, but I did embrace them as a new corporate citizen with huge credentials.

There is no harm in cheering the 'efforts' as well as the 'accomplishments'. It is an experience in which many younger generations did not know they would have the opportunity to take part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,548 times
New writer here. Don't know how Mercedes factory have anything to do with locations for politics. Mercedes factory for their small suv has nothing to do with Birmingham as a good place for anything politic. This is wrong statement. Just because foreign company builds plant in Alabama means nothing. All countries build plants everywhere , like s, america and Mexico. So what.

You believe this, you no so smart as you think. Birmingham nice city okay but you need big time work. You should lknow better. You in dream, bad dream

Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
^^^^blah blah blah just like you say of other posts on here, you doing the same thing except degrading the city of Birmingham because you don't like or laugh at what others posts on here are saying about the city and it's chance of getting it. does it hurt to have a positive attitude bout the city. who does it hurt. you talking all this nonsense about people on here needing to be teaching young minds about the future or whatever that crap you said, I mean come on. you being a teacher ain't got nothing to do with it as well. I'm pretty sure there's hundred of Birmingham teachers you wants the dnc to come to Birmingham as well, talking positive about the city in the process. do you have a problem with that.

funny, you no sound so smart ! my english is bad, but you are native ? probably from Birmingham ? I hope you not blackl American from Birmingham, you dont have good look for your city and your family..maybe I dont have excuses either, but not born here but learn quicker than you I think.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi Xinping View Post
funny, you no sound so smart ! my english is bad, but you are native ? probably from Birmingham ? I hope you not blackl American from Birmingham, you dont have good look for your city and your family..maybe I dont have excuses either, but not born here but learn quicker than you I think.
smh.... i'm done responding to something like this. not even worth it. devote my time to positive posts like i always has

Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
so raj and tourian, in other news.....

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Incredible posts yesterday. I can understand not being fluent in a language, but knowing, that it seems foolish to express thoughts that make no sense. If one understands the language one will usually understand how one thing relates to another. Using the brain before posting is always a good suggestion.

I resent anyone coming on the forum and personally attacking and purposely insulting a good contributing regular.

The DNC is already a win deal for Birmingham, as former president Clinton's comments have revealed.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 AM

9 posts, read 10,327 times
So it is big deal Birmingham's host the Democratic National Convention . Its sounds good to have better venue , hotels and people enjoy in walking around the city .

Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
I've read some of these hyperbolic exchanges for a long while, and nobody seems to be living in the real world. People DO know Birmingham - some people know Birmingham very very well. These people are not just inside the city (obviously, because someone outside the city had to nominate the city in the first place !)

Very few of you are objective examiners. Most of you seem a bit too eager to claim Birmingham's parity with the others on this list, and on many other lists. There's a difference in being supportive of Birmingham and its future, but quite another to be intentionally irrationally exuberant. Optimism may be a good thing, but let's not look foolish in that process.

Stating loudly on this site, that Birmingham is competitive and a leading edge city,flies in the face of a thing called reality. Additionally, exuberant boosterism on this site accomplishes absolutely NOTHING to pave the future path for Birmingham (or any other city). In fact, some of the comments are laughable to others who read the local, partisan diatribes.

Talking the city up among sycophants may make you feel good, but you're not doing yoeman's work here on sites such as this, unless you are getting paid by the city itself.

You want to make a contribution to the future of the City of Birmingham and the region ? This is not the way.

I'm a teacher....I affect minds everyday for the future. Go teach, lead, open a business, hire the unemployed, volunteer to many great organizations in Birmingham. Younger minds aren't reading City-Data. And if any of you think you represent a panacea, then run for political leadership roles. Sprewing slogans and feel good, self-serving analysis and 'news' about Birmingham on this site, does little to advance Birmingham's progress and build its future for the next 20 years .
I think that you might be making a few valid points. However, what I remember my most influential educators teaching me was to maintain unwavering inspiration to dream the wildest of dreams - that I could be anything. Although many important lessons and skills were taught throughout my education process, the only thing that made any of those matter was the belief that I could be something spectacular. That I was a personality too big for my current surroundings. As our current (Democratic) president calls it, it's the "Audacity of Hope" that keeps most of us going.

Are we not living in reality by believing there's a possibility that our city would be selected for the 2016 DNC? Maybe. Should we stop dreaming? No. When jaded people around us say that there's no way it's going to happen, should we tell our youth to go sit down somewhere and "settle for something a little more easily in reach?" I won't.

I'm glad that you have chosen such an important role in life as teaching young minds... But for the sake of your students, I hope you find a way to get some of your childlike inspiration back. Pragmatism isn't always superior.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:

There is real work to be done. The internet forum is not going to accomplish anything of worth ..except to the operators of the website.
If this is true, then why are you posting on this forum in vain? If there is real worth to what you are posting, and it can bring real results, then wouldn't you be contradicting yourself in a sense?

If you motivate us (through your posts) to go and do what you are saying, then wouldn't posting in this forum accomplish something? I'm not trying to attack you on this... Just a discussion about all of the great mediums that we have to accomplish things these days.

You're right, a vision with out hard work to back it is nothing. But you can't simply think that the people who post in this forum aren't doing anything else all day. That's a narrow view of what things like this are used for.

Why do you think universities use discussion forums for their online classes now? It's a great tool for discussing topics. For we adults who are not in a learning environment anymore, it's just another way for us to continue to develop and utilize our skills.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM

DNC/WORLD GAMES; << this is the name of the thread.

why not start your own teacher thread if that is the role you are playing today. no one needs this and it is not convincing from just another hater from somewhere else. work on you own back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area