Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM

10 posts, read 17,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
First of all, are you black? Even if you are, you sound hella ignorant when it comes to saying how you know our "social ethos". You seem to just all black people based on the reaction of a simple-minded few...
Yes, I am. I get "don't make generalized statements based on the outlook of a few", but amongst african americans in the south, LGBT culture is not something we're generally comfortable with, full stop. It's not wholly received by any demographic in the south, but there is a belief within AA culture that it's particularly unacceptable.

But don't get consumed on that issue -- the point was that a socially conservative majority black city council (or any conservative city council, for that matter), which Birmingham has, is not going to be amenable to the idea of sanctioning or recognizing an official gay district in Birmingham.

At least not today. That doesn't mean one can't and won't emerge, but it won't be with the blessing of the city.

Again, I'm advocating for such a district. That was the motivation in starting the thread. I also was curious as to where any existing gay-friendly neighborhoods were in the city and that was answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWinx67 View Post
Openly gay businesses you say? Name 10. I'm not familiar with any section of town that is displaying gay flags and touting itself as Birmingham's gay district. You're conflating a few covertly gay-tolerant neighborhoods with gay commercial districts -- which was the subject of my thread.

Please don't try to pass our great city off as a shining bastion of tolerance. Has it improved? Without question. But it's reflective of American culture to the same extent that OKC or Memphis or Omaha is. You act as though we have well established neighborhoods and districts like San Francisco's Castro, West Hollywood, Dallas' Oak Lawn, The French Quarter . . . or even Detroit with Pleasant Ridge. These are the types of presences I was referring to in my OP. Birmingham, of course, would most likely actualize such a district on a much smaller scale, but we are far from having any obvious gay district or even street extant in the city.
So the goalpost has been moved. Because your OP was this...

Quote:
Being gay is no new phenomenon and the metro undoubtedly is home to a many gay people. With legalized gay marriage coming, I wonder if there will be an emergence of a gay district/street in the city / suburbs -- even if minimal.I ask because gay marriage will affect property law in the state and gay couples and proprietors may now feel emboldened to step into business ventures they may have previously been precluded from establishing or reluctant to.

I feel as though Birminghamians are progressive enough to embrace such a presence, although I know many will disagree with that perception. In any case, I think nuanced districts impart several worthy benefits into a city's culture: eclecticism, cuisine, retail, bars, overall contribution to atmosphere/diversity of a city.

Of course this may seem like a silly notion for Birmingham, given it's reputation for prejudice and overall conservative ethos. To be frank, I have concerns that public backlash in the 'Ham to legalization of gay marriage may entail isolated incidents of excessive hostility. But I stand by my opinion that most in Birmingham are reasonable people who advocate for progression in the city and would encourage or be indifferent towards a gay commercial district.

Btw, does the city already have an area that begins to approach one, even if marginally?
Which was asked and answered. Yes. But now you say this was really about fully marked and recognized openly gay districts organized and specified by the city WHICH WE ALL KNOW THE ANSWER ALREADY. NO.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I asked if we'd maybe see the emergence of a true gay district with the implantation of gay marriage in AL. We have none now. Tolerant areas? Sure. Homogenous? No. Commercial? Not at all. I pointed out that the city wouldn't sanction one today . . . myabe down the road. If it's ever petitioned for, hopefully they will.

Do you get this pissy about all Birmingham discourse? If so, you and I are going to butt heads a lot.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
No trust me, we won't because I'm done.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No trust me, we won't because I'm done.
Haha, go bleed it out.

All other constructive conversation is welcome.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Make some friends and find out if they are living in fear.

I do not label black, Jewish, gay, Asian or anyone else when I recommend businesses I use. So NO, I will not point out ten gay businesses for you. (there are more than that in Lakeview/lAvondale alone) One of our most progressive developers is gay and has done more for the condo market than anyone in town. But if he wants you to know he will tell you or you won't play a fool and figure it out for yourself perhaps. If they care for you to know their arrangements they will have to tell you if you meet them. Some people are too ambitious and engaged in their communities to worry about flying flags for you. You won't find stars of David either unless you go to a synagogue. How presumptive. The point is that they can be whatever or whoever they are and start a business and know that they will be supported by the WHOLE community if they do a good job with their services or products.

I think you need to get off the internet and go out into the world and see that many people are actually living life.

Me, I'm exiting this thread. I gave you a sincere response and look at what you returned. I don't do this agenda.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 02-03-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Make some friends and find out if they are living in fear.

I do not label black, Jewish, gay, Asian or anyone else when I recommend businesses I use. So NO, I will not point out ten gay businesses for you. (there are more than that in Lakeview/lAvondale alone) One of our most progressive developers is gay and has done more for the condo market than anyone in town. But if he wants you to know he will tell you or you won't play a fool and figure it out for yourself perhaps. If they care for you to know their arrangements they will have to tell you if you meet them. Some people are too ambitious and engaged in their communities to worry about flying flags for you. You won't find stars of David either unless you go to a synagogue. How presumptive. The point is that they can be whatever or whoever they are and start a business and know that they will be supported by the WHOLE community if they do a good job with their services or products.

I think you need to get off the internet and go out into the world and see that many people are actually living life.

Me, I'm exiting this thread. I gave you a sincere response and look at what you returned. I don't do this agenda.
My my, what drivel. But I've monitored this site for a few months and know this to be standard for you.

If anyone has anything of worth to add, let's hear it. Would especially appreciate the input of any LGBT Bham posters we may have around.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Birmingham gay's are extremely discreet and closeted. They mostly come to Atlanta for Gay Pride and going out and being themselves. Birmingham, and AL in general have a long way to go, to see 2 men or women holding hands walking down the street in broad daylight.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Birmingham gay's are extremely discreet and closeted. They mostly come to Atlanta for Gay Pride and going out and being themselves. Birmingham, and AL in general have a long way to go, to see 2 men or women holding hands walking down the street in broad daylight.
Really? That is news to me because every gay person I know, myself included, are not discreet or closeted. This is just another case of you not knowing what in the hell your talking about.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
My my, what drivel. But I've monitored this site for a few months and know this to be standard for you.

If anyone has anything of worth to add, let's hear it. Would especially appreciate the input of any LGBT Bham posters we may have around.
What else do you want to know?. As bhamoutlook posted, the city can do more to be more welcoming to its LGBT population, but your not going to find a defined gay district or anything along those line. Its 2015, the days of a concentrated area of gay and lesbians, or gay ghettos are all but over and that is trend that is happening across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area