Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major league sport shows up in the Ham first?
NBA Action is Fantastic 27 29.67%
NFL Real Football 9 9.89%
Baseball 8 8.79%
Futbol 19 20.88%
Who cares?!!! Roll Blaze Damn Eagles!!! 5 5.49%
RAWR None! I'm gonna create more C/D acounts to vote NO over and over again! 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times

Advertisements

Gosh... I wish this thread would just be closed. It's 22 pages of going around in circles with the same opinions being expressed over and over. No real debate here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 04:59 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
No, it doesn't. The only thing that matters is what channels people watch. Hypothetically, if James Spann and a few of the other most popular Birmingham anchors moved to Huntsville stations and people in Cullman County followed them to their new stations, Cullman County would become part of the Huntsville DMA while still being part of the Birmingham CSA.
Finally someone who gets it.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:05 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Right, because as a Charter subscriber I can just suddenly decide I'm going to watch Montgomery stations, or Pittsburgh stations or Beijing stations. There all included in my basic package - me and my neighbors can just choose another city and POOF our street belongs to another media market.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Right, because as a Charter subscriber I can just suddenly decide I'm going to watch Montgomery stations, or Pittsburgh stations or Beijing stations. There all included in my basic package - me and my neighbors can just choose another city and POOF our street belongs to another media market.

Go to Cullman; You can watch Huntsville stations. I'm sorry that you don't have any idea how DMAs work, but maybe you should just say thanks for the lesson.

And furthermore, yes, if enough people request their TV provider to carry certain stations, it will get done.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Go to Cullman; You can watch Huntsville stations. I'm sorry that you don't have any idea how DMAs work, but maybe you should just say thanks for the lesson.

And furthermore, yes, if enough people request their TV provider to carry certain stations, it will get done.

There are some thoughts here that are a little irrational and over the top just to try to win a word game with Tourian.
As to DMAs, why the speculative back and forth. Cullman is in Birmingham's sphere in so many ways, including this one. The bonds grow ever tighter as Cullman grows because its industry has shifted from its past north Alabama industries to distribution and auto supply networking.

Economics, jobs, services provided by companies from the Birmingham metro, these and many others are the reasons why it is natural for Cullman to turn to Birmingham, which in turn draws advertising dollars into and out of the county and creates a familiarity for viewers from Cullman.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM

152 posts, read 283,469 times
I didn't read all the way through this thread, but did anyone mention Major League Football?
Major League Football aims to bring pro team to Birmingham - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
I didn't read all the way through this thread, but did anyone mention Major League Football?
Major League Football aims to bring pro team to Birmingham - Birmingham Business Journal
No. I didn't mention them because this thread is about major league sports, and with American Football, that is only the NFL.

The league in the link you posted plus the so called NAFL are planning teams here.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
I think the name of the league is a little misleading... Their league is actually called, "Major League Football." That's not what we're talking about here.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM

401 posts, read 536,235 times
We may be old or long gone when it happens, but one day you'll see a big 4 league team in Bham.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 AM

33 posts, read 52,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flakjacket View Post
Are you serious? (joking) of course no true major league professional organization that I know of is even considering Birmingham AL for anything - anything can happen in another 40 years however, but it hasn't happened yet, and Birmingham hasn't really kept pace with a number of other cities even in the same region. In short, don't hold your breath, you're going to die.
Have you visited Bham lately ? Bham could withstand a NBA team the metro is 1.2 mill strong ancould support some national pro sports franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area