Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 PM

30 posts, read 43,531 times

Advertisements

I am an Australian citizen with a valid Aus drivers licence and an International drivers licence. I don't need an AL drivers licence to drive here however I would like to get one so I don't have to carry my international documents all the time and apply for state insurance. I live in Jefferson county. There is a real grey area on this process, and I have experienced first hand a confusion amongst the DMVs.

From reading online it appears all I would need is my passport, I-94, social security card and W-2 form or the like to establish residence. If anybody can correct this I would appreciate that

Also does the Courthouse do new state licenses?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
This site lists the requirements:
State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency

What do you mean by "state" license? You can get an existing drivers license renewed at any dmv office anywhere but you have to go to the tag office in Jefferson co to renew or get a vehicle tag and registration.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM

30 posts, read 43,531 times
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I went to the DMV today at 908 Bankhead (Public Safety) and the place was just jam packed at around 11am. The first point of contact gave me all this other advice, to which I rebutted and she said I needed other forms (not listed on that site) as well as doing testing. I was shocked. Do I need to print out their requirements from the website and bring it along with me perhaps??

Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
You are pretty mucj at their mercy and showing them a piece of paper may or may not help. Maybe it is simple as going back and getting another clerk.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM

74 posts, read 89,385 times
after my wife changed her name she went through a mess to get her tag renewed. The info needed changed everytime she went finally figured out what to do

Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
If you are not a US citizen, you must go to the office you went to. You can't go to a county courthouse in Alabama and get a driver license unless you are a US citizen.

As far as testing, I am under the impression that you are required to take the test unless Alabama has some sort of reciprocal agreement with other countries which I have never heard of. When my immigrant wife was obtaining an AL driver license, there was never a thought to NOT have to take the test, and no mention of not being required to take the test was ever made.

However, in the section on the DPS website mentioned, there is this under the Non-US citizen section - "$5 test or transfer fee plus cost of license (no checks)". The issue is what the word "transfer" means in this case. Does it mean transfer from a foreign country or transfer from another state i.e. You are a non-US citizen with a Florida license and you transfer the Florida license to AL. I am pretty sure it is referring to transfers from other states.

Based on everything I have seen/read and with first and second-hand knowledge of foreign nationals obtaining driver licenses, I am almost certain you have to take the written test and possibly the driving test.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
When you speak to the clerk be sure to say "You do know you folks drive on the wrong side of the road here, right?" That'll speed-up the process remarkably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area