Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:39 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You already did? LOL!
Now I know you have questionable literacy so maybe grab someone educated (preferably not in Birmingham City Schools) and have them read you the very next sentence from what you quoted.
The next sentence was just you backtracking already, nothing new there. So what.
Quote:
I don't know if you are this stupid, or are just trying to look this stupid. I'm guessing the latter because nobody can be as dumb as you are acting.
The only stupidity displayed here is your poor grasp of logic knowledge and debating tactics.
Quote:
As for Godwin's Law, did I compare Hitler to any other person? No. Did I compare any movement or group of people to the Nazis? No. So Godwin Law does not apply.
""As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazism or Hitler approaches 1"[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][3][/SIZE]—​​that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.[/quote]
Say what now? You equated the eligibility of Hitler being on a list of the world's greatest people to Birmingham being on a list of the nation's most liberal cities as if both should be ridiculed.
Quote:
And if you don't want to think of Birmingham as a cesspool, then fine.
Stop right there. That's fine because it isn't a cesspool. That's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM

270 posts, read 531,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
First 48 ..........enough said !
You mean the show that filmed in Minneapolis, Miami, Dallas, Kansas City, and a dozen other cities around the country?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You officially need to take a reading comprehension class (maybe one outside of Birmingham). When you look at the full spectrum of schools in Birmingham, they are garbage. UAB might be a bright spot in the city's education offerings, but it is just an average third-tier school. Is that really the best the city can offer? I suppose you could pay 3x as much and go to Birmingham-Southern or Samford... but again, those schools aren't top tier by any stretch of the imagination.

...And what sources would those be that rank UAB as best in the state? Definitely not US News & World Report which I think is the most popular college ranker. It puts UAB as tied for the 149th best national university in the country. Well outside the top 50 even when just looking at public schools. The ones I know put both Alabama (when they separate out their campuses) and Auburn, if not others, ahead of UAB. And even if UAB *is* the best college in the state (which by the vast majority of sources it isn't), that doesn't mean Birmingham's colleges aren't garbage compared to other significant cities. That's the whole point. Does anyone think UAB is as good as Vanderbilt in Nashville? Emory or Georgia Tech in Atlanta? Rhodes in Memphis? UNC/Duke in the Raleigh/Durham area? Of course not.

Don't you get it? Relative to other places, Birmingham's grade schools suck. Its private schools suck. Its colleges and universities are mediocre. So yeah, the full gamut from pre-K to universities are garbage.
Your lies and schadenfreude seeking regarding Birmingham just never stop. You specifically cite US News and World Report which happens to specifically state it is the #1 University in Alabama - https://www.uab.edu/news/student-exp...lobal-rankings

Separate source:

https://www.uab.edu/news/student-exp...rsity-rankings

Altamont sucks too I guess...ASFA sucks...? Sure the city public schools suck. So do the public schools in every large city in the nation.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
Your lies and schadenfreude seeking regarding Birmingham just never stop. You specifically cite US News and World Report which happens to specifically state it is the #1 University in Alabama - https://www.uab.edu/news/student-exp...lobal-rankings

Separate source:

https://www.uab.edu/news/student-exp...rsity-rankings

Altamont sucks too I guess...ASFA sucks...? Sure the city public schools suck. So do the public schools in every large city in the nation.

Ahhh... you posted the US News & World Report rankings not on best universities, but on international reputation. A subtle difference, but a difference.

Their actual rankings on their website clearly show Alabama and Auburn ahead of UAB. Sorry, bro:
Alabama Colleges | Colleges in Alabama | US News Best Colleges

So I can see how you made the error, but don't worry... I'm here to correct you.

And no the public schools in every large city don't suck. The public schools in Plano, TX, a city with more residents, more children, and a bigger district enrollment than Birmingham are just fine. That is just one example of many. Perhaps you meant to say the public schools in every large city that has rampant poverty and crime like Birmingham's suck. And then you'd probably be right.

As for ASFA and The Altamont School sucking... no... they don't suck for what they are (though I would argue schools that focus kids on the arts as opposed to things that will give them a better chance at landing them good jobs actually does kind of suck, but whatever...). But again... relative to the absolute best private schools that other cities offer, they don't stand out as anything special.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
You mean the show that filmed in Minneapolis, Miami, Dallas, Kansas City, and a dozen other cities around the country?
You are right.
I apologize lumping Minneapolis, Kansas City, and Miami with Birmingham

National average is 290 crime rate index

Minneapolis................521
Miami........................534
Kansas City................621

Birmingham................763

Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You are right.
I apologize lumping Minneapolis, Kansas City, and Miami with Birmingham

National average is 290 crime rate index

Minneapolis................521
Miami........................534
Kansas City................621

Birmingham................763
And take out a 3 square mile area of Birmingham, that no one with a brain ever goes, and the whole city suddenly becomes safer than those cities. So what? You suburbanites who always scream FIRST 48!!! are so pathetic. There were dozens of cities on the show; cities all over the county, many of which have people beating paths to live there: Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Charlotte, San Antonio, Las Vegas, the list goes on. Have you crossed all of those cities off of your list to visit? I sure as hell hope so.

What satisfaction do you get off living in a suburb and bashing Birmingham. Why? Why do it? Why does it make you feel good about yourself? Do you honestly go to bed at night feeling better for putting others down? You are no better than a schoolyard bully. If you stay in St. Clair county and never set foot in Birmingham, I don't give a damn. But why do you get your rocks off bad mouthing Birmingham? What purpose does it serve? It is a sign of serious insecurities you have with your personal life. For you to actively take the time to bash a place you don't even live(yet your suburban existence wouldn't exist without Birmingham) is a real sign of a significant psychological insecurity.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,351 times
Quote:
You are officially just a troll now. Considering UAB is now considered the highest raking university in the state by several sources, that is just a lie that UAB is garbage.
BOSS, he always was. Talk about an unhappy creature. If he were as smart as he tells us he would be gone from here, and the sooner the better.
Imagine doing anything of positive consequence with the likes of his attitude around. Things have changed a lot in five years and the momentum builds, but not with this guy. He is stuck in the can't mover forward or backward mode. (in other words he is the bottom of a mud puddle looking up at the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area