Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 28,186 times

Advertisements

A fellow resident lives on historic Diaper Row, aka 21st Ave. S., which is right over the mountain from Southside on the edge of Homewood. He says it's great because it has all of the charm of Homewood, but is technically B'ham, so there are no Homewood school district taxes...and MINUTES from UAB/downtown.

Try googling diaperrow and see what pops up. I think I saw a house for sale on the street the last time I was by, and the website was actually "diaperrow."

Best of luck! You're going to love Birmingham!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM

73 posts, read 254,803 times
Wow the last reply was awesome, we are possibly moving to B'ham and I agree with GreatSchools.net only b/c I saw it this year at our son's school with reading you have 5 kids who read exceptionally high and carry a class and that is not accurate when picking a school and the teachers encouraged it b/c of funding issues. VERY SAD. I have researched lots of areas but we have a child so my view point is from a family and not single in college. We are looking at Helena/Pellham versus Hoover/Vestavia Hills and Mountain Brook, I like them but we play hockey and need to be near a rink and the schools are pretty good there. I am also considering a private/Christian school but I want a good family cook out neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Crestwood and Avondale aren't technically considered part of Southside (in fact, Highland Park isn't technically part of "Southside" either although everybody calls that area Southside), but Southside is definitely the most (maybe the only) fun part of Birmingham. It's probably the only place where you can potentially live with multiple "party" spots within walking distance, and the crowds are more interesting.

Homewood's safer but blander, although not as bland + safe as Vestavia or Mountain Brook. Vestavia and MB are very exclusively white and affluent, while Homewood's more diverse but very segregated (all the "nice" neighborhoods are almost 100% white in the houses). It's expensive unless you rent one of the old cheap apartments, but in some areas that takes away some of the "safety" factor. I currently live in Homewood with my parents (and don't give me **** because I'm not too old to yet) and plan on moving out to Southside as soon as I make enough money to do so, probably in a few months, from working at my job at a cabinet factory in Midfield, which is a place you probably don't want to live in.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,998 times
Default Crestwood

I just relocated to Bama from Ca and am looking to rent a home in the Crestwood area (47th St ?). Is this a good area? Any help you could provide me with would be appreciated!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2alabama View Post
I just relocated to Bama from Ca and am looking to rent a home in the Crestwood area (47th St ?). Is this a good area? Any help you could provide me with would be appreciated!
I lived in that neighborhood for 14 years, only moving because of the schools. It was a great area. Very diverse, very eclectic, and convenient to everything. However, be observant because neighborhoods change character quickly.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM

182 posts, read 901,240 times
Where is the smilie eating popcorn icon when you need it?! Very interesting reading. Personally I would pick parts of Avondale and parts of Crestwood over Homewood anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2alabama View Post
Where in CA? I'm a socal transplant myself and Crestwood is one of the first areas I looked at when planning my move. I eventually found an adorable rental in Forest Park when I first moved here but right now I'm stuck out by Liberty Park. I hope to buy a house in the historic part of Crestwood someday. Welcome to Birmingham by the way.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBT View Post
Seeing a little misinformation here. DO NOT look in Southside. There are not that many resident and interns living there. Its primarily students and LOTS and LOTS of rental property with fairly poor quality citizenry. Crestwood is good, Forest Park may be a little too pricey but the best choice is Homewood for residents. Probably more residents and interns in Homewood than anywhere else. Crestwood would come in 2nd but you have to be careful just what areas of Crestwood you look in. One block may be great...3 blocks over you are in Woodlawn.
"poor quality citizenry?"

Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,585 times
I am looking to rent a home on 52nd st south. is this a nicer part of crestwood?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmv4au View Post
I am looking to rent a home on 52nd st south. is this a nicer part of crestwood?
What block? Crestwood is dividing by Crerstwood Blvd. into CW South (brick ranchers) and CW North ('40s Capes, '20s bungalows, '10s four-squares). Crestwood is divided east and west by 56th Street. All of CW South is pretty much the same -- it doesn't matter how far east or west you are. For Crestwood North, I'd stay north of 6th Ave S. Also, West of 56th St. (which 52nd St. is) are the more picturesque 1920s houses and east of 56th st. gets you into more 1940s-1960s homes

The other areas of CW North are nice as well, but start to get closer to Woodlawn. We lived there from 2003-2005 and were unaffected by any dangerous crime, but there is a lot of petty crime over there (sheds and cars getting broken into) so just lock everything up and keep goodies out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area