Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM

23 posts, read 41,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about relocating to Birmingham this fall to do a full-time PhD program at UAB. As the title says, I am a newly single, early 50s guy. My program cohort would be about 10 students. I don't know anyone in the area.

From this forum, I hear that Birmingham can work well for families, but others not so much.

My concerns are that I would feel isolated by being out of sync with the community demographic.

Thoughts on this relocation anyone? Where to live? Also, any chance of a dating life there for someone like me?

I also have the option of doing the same type of program in Richmond, VA, but with a program cohort that is much smaller (a disincentive). I will post in that forum also.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM

946 posts, read 776,366 times
You are correct in your observations, speaking as someone in your category.

However, the PhD program at UAB kind of overrides your concerns about being single, in my opinion. I would imagine you would have a much difference experience as a student in the PhD program and living downtown or near downtown, as opposed to a 50 year old that is moving to Birmingham for just a regular job and would live in the burbs.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 AM

302 posts, read 336,044 times
Can't speak on the dating scene for your demo but chances are you'll love it down here. The city center (downtown, Parkside, etc) would all be a good option for living. I have a few single friends in your age range that live downtown and love it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 AM

23 posts, read 41,140 times
Thanks.

How would it be living in Hoover and commuting to UAB? I know Hoover is family centric, but I do like the burbs and would really like to get a small house. I also like that there's a LifeTime Fitness out that way, which I loved having when I lived in Dallas a few years ago. I play a lot of tennis and also road bike. I am wondering if days downtown at UAB and evenings/weekends in Hoover might be a good mix. Or would it be only families with young children?

I should add that I have a 19 year old son who will be with me. He would be starting college at either UAB or Jefferson Community College in Hoover. He needs to be happy also. Would he be okay and be able to get a social life from the community college?

Thanks again.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
Thanks.

How would it be living in Hoover and commuting to UAB? I know Hoover is family centric, but I do like the burbs and would really like to get a small house. I also like that there's a LifeTime Fitness out that way, which I loved having when I lived in Dallas a few years ago. I play a lot of tennis and also road bike. I am wondering if days downtown at UAB and evenings/weekends in Hoover might be a good mix. Or would it be only families with young children?

I should add that I have a 19 year old son who will be with me. He would be starting college at either UAB or Jefferson Community College in Hoover. He needs to be happy also. Would he be okay and be able to get a social life from the community college?

Thanks again.
I think you would want to be closer in than Hoover.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:14 PM

910 posts, read 835,352 times
Yeah man, you definitely want to be closer in. You could get a small home in the Glen Iris neighborhood. That would be biking distance to UAB.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Yeah man, you definitely want to be closer in. You could get a small home in the Glen Iris neighborhood. That would be biking distance to UAB.
If you're single, like to do a lot of different things, and don't want to slog up and down 65 twice a day, that's the way to go. Either that or Avondale and Crestwood. Nice, affordable neighborhoods on the upswing. Plus your son might not like being out in the 'burbs either.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Hoover is an easy commute to UAB and if you like the suburb life, it should suit you just fine.

He mentioned he preferred the suburbs and people are suggesting in-town neighborhoods. Avondale isn't for everyone, folks. Not everyone wants to ride a bike to work.

I do think some of the in-town neighborhoods are worth looking into, but Hoover is affordable, safe, and almost assuredly packed to the brim with whatever turns you on about suburbs in general.

The Lifetime Fitness OP speaks of though is out near Acton Road/Cahaba River Road... not really Hoover persay.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 PM

910 posts, read 835,352 times
Just my opinion, but people in the burbs tend to be somewhat clicky. OP is single, and will spend a significant amount of time at UAB. If he chooses Hoover, that will be fine with me, but something closer in would better address his needs. Again, this is just my opinion.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 PM

302 posts, read 336,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
Thanks.

Thanks again.
Depends. Not the worst trek. Not the best either. Plus, Hoover is massive. Parts of it of 10 minutes from downtown. Others, around 30. The LifeTime Fitness is nice. Basically a resort. If suburban life is more important, I'd consider Cahaba Heights (beware 280 traffic) or southern Homewood, the latter being close to the middle of both areas.

Each offers charming homes apart from the typical McMansions. If you're considering more of what your son might enjoy, definitely look at the city center and nearby areas like Avondale or Crestwood. If you're looking for a compromise however, I'd vote for Homewood. Nice, walkable neighborhoods and downtown area, convenient location that's close to both downtown and the I-459 corridor (Summit, LifeTime, etc), etc.

Another upside: regardless if he attends UAB or Jeff State, Homewood is a decent drive either way. Only drawback might be the price tag... you'll pay more for less space, but the convenience might be worth it.

TLDR: Cahaba Heights or Homewood for you. City Center / Avondale for him. Homewood a good compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area