Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

Well, Irondale voters, like Walker County and most of St. Clair County with the exceptions of Leeds and Pell City, foolishly voted down increases of their property tax millage in referendas held this past spring. Unlike the latter two counties, those millage increases were aimed towards education (which shows that some still don't value the quality of education in their local school district), but the Irondale property tax increase was to maintain the quality and level of municipal services.

Irondale voters say 'no' to property tax increase - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

Apparently, Irondale City Council might wind up having to pass a 1% municipal occupational tax instead. This tax will be maintain the quality of municipal services including trash pickup, infrastructure maintenance, and public safety. The public hearing for this will be held May 29, 2018 at the Irondale Municpal Complex.

Meanwhile, Hoover is mulling over similar measures to close their budget deficit. Hoover City Council are considering increases in property taxes, occupational tax, residential rental tax like Mountain Brook, lodge tax, sales tax, use tax, garbage pickup fee, or sewer rate increase. Hoover wants to make it possible so that the jurisdiction can implement the citywide master plan (which is being drafted), expand and improve infrastructure including city-maintained road and sidewalks, and public safety.

http://280living.com/news/hoover-cit...creasing-reve/

It looks like everyone within the immediate urbanized area are pushing to keep their jurisdiction's quality of service up so that while they remain attractive to new businesses and residents.

Last edited by jero23; 05-22-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
It's the Amazon effect. Suddenly, sales taxes aren't reliable the way they used to be.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's the Amazon effect. Suddenly, sales taxes aren't reliable the way they used to be.

Yeah, I was speaking to my father about this recently. I told him that the jurisdictions within the metro area must retool the way they operate and accrue revenue. They may have to implement property tax increases, increase fees for municipal operations like building and zoning applications, and/or an occupational tax. Luckily, Jefferson and Shelby counties are the only counties in the state that have full home rule abilities to implement all the tools in their respective boxes to make things happen.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, I was speaking to my father about this recently. I told him that the jurisdictions within the metro area must retool the way they operate and accrue revenue. They may have to implement property tax increases, increase fees for municipal operations like building and zoning applications, and/or an occupational tax. Luckily, Jefferson and Shelby counties are the only counties in the state that have full home rule abilities to implement all the tools in their respective boxes to make things happen.
I think the other possible effect is that this crazy quilt of municipalities will need to soul-search to get more bang for the buck. At a time when every city has its own jail, parks and rec department, street department, city clerks, fire department, police department, etc., etc., etc., it might be a good time to assess if we can start pooling resources for greater cost-effectiveness.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I think the other possible effect is that this crazy quilt of municipalities will need to soul-search to get more bang for the buck. At a time when every city has its own jail, parks and rec department, street department, city clerks, fire department, police department, etc., etc., etc., it might be a good time to assess if we can start pooling resources for greater cost-effectiveness.

I agree 100%. The Metro Area Crime Center joint venture is a great start. I think joint Jefferson County Detention Center, i.e. county jail should be the next step. There should be a joint countywide urban planning department, transportation department, fire department, and at the very least a merger between BPD and Jeffco Sheriff's Department.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%. The Metro Area Crime Center joint venture is a great start. I think joint Jefferson County Detention Center, i.e. county jail should be the next step. There should be a joint countywide urban planning department, transportation department, fire department, and at the very least a merger between BPD and Jeffco Sheriff's Department.
I hope. I'm sure someone somewhere has figured out what all this needless duplication costs us. But the overlapping services absolutely have to be costing us a pretty penny every time we buy groceries.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I hope. I'm sure someone somewhere has figured out what all this needless duplication costs us. But the overlapping services absolutely have to be costing us a pretty penny every time we buy groceries.

I would be asking those questions to any of the candidates running for elected office this fall within Jefferson County. The Jefferson County Commission candidates need to stay their stances on this consolidation of municipal services.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 PM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
It won't be an occupational tax increase in Hoover. It would simply be an occupational tax.

I think Jeffco candidates have minimal effect on what Hoover does although Petelos was the mayor of Hoover and is now Jeffco's manager. Hoover will do what it needs to do.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:40 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
Quote:
Luckily, Jefferson and Shelby counties are the only counties in the state that have full home rule abilities to implement all the tools in their respective boxes to make things happen.
I don't mean to take this off subject but when did Jefferson and Shelby become home-rule? The reason I ask is because I was under the impression some counties had limited home-rule or Dillon's rule.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
It won't be an occupational tax increase in Hoover. It would simply be an occupational tax.

I think Jeffco candidates have minimal effect on what Hoover does although Petelos was the mayor of Hoover and is now Jeffco's manager. Hoover will do what it needs to do.
That's semantics. It does signify a total tax increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area