Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 02:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times

Advertisements

That night shot was dope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 06:58 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,585,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
That night shot was dope.
Agreed beautiful pic
Most would not guess its Birmingham if you didn’t already know

Old 08-11-2019, 06:57 PM

467 posts, read 428,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The first time I drove through Charlotte, which was around 1970, they had one really tall building that was dominating, kinda like the RSA buidling in Mobile. You could see it for many miles approaching the city. That's not the case any more since Charlotte has gotten much larger, essentially tripling population, since then.

I've never understood why North Carolina has grown so much and some other southern states, particularly Alabama, has remained pretty much the same. What did they do to attract so many people and industries?
Good question. Alabama is certainly underrated and has so much more potential, especially with Birmingham and Huntsville.

North Carolina's growth can largely be attributed to three world-class universities, all within 30 minutes of each other: Duke, Carolina, and NC State, which form the "Triangle." These educational powerhouses, combined with the foresight that civic leaders had in creating Research Triangle Park, the first of its kind and arguably the tech hub of the East, helped to create a region that would undoubtedly take off like it did, sooner or later.

On the other side of NC's Piedmont region, Charlotte is the city that it is today due largely to being the site of the first U.S. gold rush, an important railroad junction, textile mill hub, and now the country's 2nd largest banking center, roughly in that order. Charlotte, like Atlanta, very much embraces the "New South" ethos and has reaped the benefits, even if it has unfortunately failed to preserve many of its historical buildings around Uptown. This is fast-changing with the repurposing of various textile mills and factories, though, which is awesome.

Lastly, the Triad, NC's 3rd most important metro, has been home to three of NC's historically most important industries: textiles, tobacco, and furniture, with each primarily centered around Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point, respectively. Tobacco being such a legacy industry for North Carolina really helped thrust Winston as a premier city in the Southeast and the largest between D.C. and Atlanta a hundred years ago, helping to create cultural and educational institutions such as Wake Forest, another one of the country's best universities. Today the region isn't growing as fast as the other two, but new projects like Winston's Innovation Quarter has allowed the city to pivot from tobacco to high tech and biomed research.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:59 AM

141 posts, read 178,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Good question. Alabama is certainly underrated and has so much more potential, especially with Birmingham and Huntsville.

North Carolina's growth can largely be attributed to three world-class universities, all within 30 minutes of each other: Duke, Carolina, and NC State, which form the "Triangle." These educational powerhouses, combined with the foresight that civic leaders had in creating Research Triangle Park, the first of its kind and arguably the tech hub of the East, helped to create a region that would undoubtedly take off like it did, sooner or later.

On the other side of NC's Piedmont region, Charlotte is the city that it is today due largely to being the site of the first U.S. gold rush, an important railroad junction, textile mill hub, and now the country's 2nd largest banking center, roughly in that order. Charlotte, like Atlanta, very much embraces the "New South" ethos and has reaped the benefits, even if it has unfortunately failed to preserve many of its historical buildings around Uptown. This is fast-changing with the repurposing of various textile mills and factories, though, which is awesome.

Lastly, the Triad, NC's 3rd most important metro, has been home to three of NC's historically most important industries: textiles, tobacco, and furniture, with each primarily centered around Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point, respectively. Tobacco being such a legacy industry for North Carolina really helped thrust Winston as a premier city in the Southeast and the largest between D.C. and Atlanta a hundred years ago, helping to create cultural and educational institutions such as Wake Forest, another one of the country's best universities. Today the region isn't growing as fast as the other two, but new projects like Winston's Innovation Quarter has allowed the city to pivot from tobacco to high tech and biomed research.

My family recently went home to visit NC (we lived there for fourteen years) and VA and stopped in Winston Salem and Greensboro for a few days. The changes in that area in just six years (moved to Dothan in 2013) are incredible. So much going on with both downtown areas it's almost unbelievable. Innovation Quarter and the surrounding area in Winston has changed extensively and is so beautiful. Chatham County also has an enormous research park underway (https://www.chathampark.com/) between Greensboro/ Guilford County and the Durham/ Raleigh area. Chatham Park will be about 7,000 acres and encompass the town of Pittsboro on one edge as I recall. When I worked for NCDOT we did quite a bit of survey work in the area and there was always talk about how this would affect the region. I suspicion much of our work was done in advanced support of this project. I miss the constant growth and change of NC and I have little use for Dothan but I do love the bright spots of Birmingham and Huntsville here in Bammer. I imagine there will be awesome changes in both in the years to come and it will be interesting to see how NOAL will grow as both cities grow and change.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 AM

157 posts, read 154,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
here is a rundown of buildings (mostly residential) 5+ stories currently under construction in the city... not bad, but not exactly "epic":

(i didn't include existing buildings over 5 stories being renovated... there are a handful of those as well)

((also didn't include UAB's new dorm... couldn't find a rendering))

Is it me or is the stuff in process here in Birmingham just stale and dated looking compared to the more modern looking residential units being built in places like San Diego, Austin, Nashville, Charlotte?

I see these new structures going up and can't help but think they look out of date already.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 AM

141 posts, read 178,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
Is it me or is the stuff in process here in Birmingham just stale and dated looking compared to the more modern looking residential units being built in places like San Diego, Austin, Nashville, Charlotte?

I see these new structures going up and can't help but think they look out of date already.

This was on a FB page called "Sprawl Retrofits". These things are popping up everywhere.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
It's currently at 96.4 % occupancy and has never dipped below 90%.So I doubt that there has been any regrets.Hopefuly RSA will see it's occupancy success and build another tower that's 400 + feet.

https://battlehouse.mritenantconnect.com/node/13

I think RSA will eventually invest into Bham soon.
They are already in Hoover at Ross Bridge.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
Some of my favorites in addition to your list:
Boston
Seattle
Cleveland (Yea, Cleveland has Key Tower and some other really cool buildings)
Jersey City
Cincinnati
Random note... but I agree! Cleveland's skyline looks amazing from certain views, particularly with bridges in the foreground. Some of my best skyline photos I've ever taken were of Cleveland's.

I'd give Pittsburgh a nod too.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM

666 posts, read 517,571 times
I personally don't care for Nashville's skyline. The ATT or Batman building is ugly to me and it's height is only in the spires which is kinda like "fake height" to me.

Skylines are kinda a thing of the past now though. We're just not building as many tall structures like we used to. There are a few in NYC but no other supertalls in the US that I'm aware of right now.

So most skylines will remained mostly unchanged for the foreseeable future.

I know that in Dallas, we're seeing a couple of 40 stories going up and tons of 100-400 footers, but nothing to challenge the 700-900 footers already around downtown.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 AM

157 posts, read 154,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I personally don't care for Nashville's skyline. The ATT or Batman building is ugly to me and it's height is only in the spires which is kinda like "fake height" to me.

Skylines are kinda a thing of the past now though. We're just not building as many tall structures like we used to. There are a few in NYC but no other supertalls in the US that I'm aware of right now.

So most skylines will remained mostly unchanged for the foreseeable future.

I know that in Dallas, we're seeing a couple of 40 stories going up and tons of 100-400 footers, but nothing to challenge the 700-900 footers already around downtown.
There’s no shortage of land in the Metroplex and thus no reason to go up. The cost per sq ft to go higher than 400’ gets exponentially higher each 100’ above that. It’s a simple cost benefit analysis.

If the DFW zoning laws change and land becomes more valuable then you’ll see a return to going up to maximize the yield on land purchases and building density.

Same story of every similar metro in the US not near water. Atlanta, Denver, Charlotte, Austin, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area