Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 AM

682 posts, read 527,127 times

Advertisements

I know they're doing this in Huntsville and Mobile, but are they doing it in any other cities? I want to known when they're planning on restarting operations.

The good news, they only represented under 2% of BHM traffic if my very quick googling research is correct.

Given such a small %, I'm not sure why they ever tried.

https://www.al.com/business/2019/09/...-november.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,262,501 times
is frontier the airline with all the planes parked on the west side of messer-airport highway? seems like there are more and more sitting there each time i fly.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,200,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
is frontier the airline with all the planes parked on the west side of messer-airport highway? seems like there are more and more sitting there each time i fly.
Those are Alliegent planes that are out of commission..

Old 12-12-2019, 09:37 AM

682 posts, read 527,127 times
I thought those were the Allegiant planes.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM

10,513 posts, read 7,107,322 times
Truthfully, they didn't fly enough out of Birmingham to be convenient. What's more, because they charged you for everything, they weren't even very cost effective.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:01 PM

647 posts, read 710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I know they're doing this in Huntsville and Mobile, but are they doing it in any other cities? I want to known when they're planning on restarting operations.

The good news, they only represented under 2% of BHM traffic if my very quick googling research is correct.

Given such a small %, I'm not sure why they ever tried.

https://www.al.com/business/2019/09/...-november.html

Hopping markets and putting service on hiatus is just what Frontier does as part of their model.

If you were to look at Frontier service announcements over the past couple of years, your head would spin.

When Frontier enters markets such as BHM, HSV, and MOB with limited service days (usually 2 or 3 days a week), they contract out everything at the airports. So they make very little investment in a location and can drop it with few regrets if it doesn't meet expectations.

I guess HSV to MCO is doing okay, as it was not suspended and will go 3x weekly later in 2020.

I can't find when HSV to DEN will restart, as it not showing on the website. Except starting in March you can do HSV-MCO-DEN with some dreadful overnight connections.

Hopefully Frontier will return to BHM in good time. If not, eh no big loss, BHM has a large Southwest operation that gives you guys decent fares to lots of places.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:47 PM

13,122 posts, read 9,682,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Hopping markets and putting service on hiatus is just what Frontier does as part of their model.

If you were to look at Frontier service announcements over the past couple of years, your head would spin.

When Frontier enters markets such as BHM, HSV, and MOB with limited service days (usually 2 or 3 days a week), they contract out everything at the airports. So they make very little investment in a location and can drop it with few regrets if it doesn't meet expectations.

I guess HSV to MCO is doing okay, as it was not suspended and will go 3x weekly later in 2020.

I can't find when HSV to DEN will restart, as it not showing on the website. Except starting in March you can do HSV-MCO-DEN with some dreadful overnight connections.

Hopefully Frontier will return to BHM in good time. If not, eh no big loss, BHM has a large Southwest operation that gives you guys decent fares to lots of places.
I seem to recall Huntsville to Denver restarts in April. You'd think if it was seasonal, they'd fly in the winter for skiing instead of summer, but I suppose they have their reasons. United flies to Denver several flights per day, but much more expensive.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:10 AM

157 posts, read 155,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I seem to recall Huntsville to Denver restarts in April. You'd think if it was seasonal, they'd fly in the winter for skiing instead of summer, but I suppose they have their reasons. United flies to Denver several flights per day, but much more expensive.
BHM has terrible service given the metro’s size. I fly nearly weekly from BHM on DL (Delta) and if you’re not going East or North the route coverage is quite terrible.

While Frontier was never going to attract a business flier like me, it should have been attractive to recreational travelers and was at first. The problem was that United engaged in some serious predatory pricing during Frontier’s tenure at BHM. United lowered their western route fare to DEN by quite a large margin making Frontier hardly a bargain. Especially so when you factor in United’s much better time slot.

My hope was that not only would Frontier thrive, it would also do the following:
- Encourage other low cost providers like Spirit, Allegiant and more Frontier flights.
- Encourage more mainline or express routes from legacy carriers. Delta has a Salt Lake City hub not served here but is literally serviced by 48 of 50 other top metros seasonally or yearly. United has a SFO (San Fran). American has a LAX hub. Etc...

The BHM airport situation and leadership has many, many short comings IMO for people and employers like myself. I live here and driving to ATL or BNA to catch a flight is not the answer.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:50 AM

346 posts, read 268,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
BHM has terrible service given the metro’s size. I fly nearly weekly from BHM on DL (Delta) and if you’re not going East or North the route coverage is quite terrible.

While Frontier was never going to attract a business flier like me, it should have been attractive to recreational travelers and was at first. The problem was that United engaged in some serious predatory pricing during Frontier’s tenure at BHM. United lowered their western route fare to DEN by quite a large margin making Frontier hardly a bargain. Especially so when you factor in United’s much better time slot.

My hope was that not only would Frontier thrive, it would also do the following:
- Encourage other low cost providers like Spirit, Allegiant and more Frontier flights.
- Encourage more mainline or express routes from legacy carriers. Delta has a Salt Lake City hub not served here but is literally serviced by 48 of 50 other top metros seasonally or yearly. United has a SFO (San Fran). American has a LAX hub. Etc...

The BHM airport situation and leadership has many, many short comings IMO for people and employers like myself. I live here and driving to ATL or BNA to catch a flight is not the answer.
Thankfully for my business travel, 99% of it has nonstop flights (LGA, CLT, MIA, DFW). I think my top three desired nonstop options are SFO, BOS, and SEA or AUS.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:30 AM

157 posts, read 155,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Thankfully for my business travel, 99% of it has nonstop flights (LGA, CLT, MIA, DFW). I think my top three desired nonstop options are SFO, BOS, and SEA or AUS.
My main office is where my business partner is, Austin. Delta just made AUS a focus city (complete with gorgeous new SkyClub) so I am hoping for the possibility of a non-stop.

My wish list on DL metal is as follows:
BHM - MSP (really hard to get to small midwestern cities without double connect)
BHM - SLC (really hard to get to small western cities without double connect)
BHM - CVG or IND
BHM - JFK (the LGA - JFK shuttle is a joke)
BHM - BOS
BHM - SEA

Wish list on any metal (frequent flyer lingo for airline):
BHM - LAX (how on earth do we not have a direct west coast flight??)
BHM - SFO
BHM - MSY (return of)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area