Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 12:07 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times

Advertisements

^^ yeah, if his job is the leading factor in the move, then huntsville might be the place to start looking.

as for mechanical engineering in general, birmingham is a hotbed for the design and construction industry. i work with mechanical engineers every day, so if that realm has any interest for him, he would likely do well here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:10 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
and, frankly, i don't think any place in alabama is terribly diverse in that regard, unfortunately. at least not to the extent where they would find an abundance of mixed or biracial couples.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:36 PM

842 posts, read 826,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
and, frankly, i don't think any place in alabama is terribly diverse in that regard, unfortunately. at least not to the extent where they would find an abundance of mixed or biracial couples.
Yep, but I'm thinking some areas of the Birmingham and Huntsville metros will have schools with a good mix of White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian as opposed to almost exclusively White or exclusively Black (Hoover, Huntsville/Madison).

Old 06-23-2020, 08:47 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
If they choose the Birmingham area, Homewood is another place to look. Great school system that has a good amount of diversity as compared to the other suburban systems.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:08 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Does anyone that matters seriously care about interracial marriage anymore? I've lived in the South my whole life and have never heard anyone say anything negative about it in real life.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:18 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Does anyone that matters seriously care about interracial marriage anymore? I've lived in the South my whole life and have never heard anyone say anything negative about it in real life.

Yep. I'm 57. Maybe when I was young, you'd hear things. But now? In the urban areas, nobody even gives it a second thought.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:21 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yep. I'm 57. Maybe when I was young, you'd hear things. But now? In the urban areas, nobody even gives it a second thought.
Same here in rural North Alabama, as I put in an earlier post, who really cares.....

Old 06-23-2020, 12:58 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
We've lived in Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta area. We recently moved to Huntsville--or 10 miles in rural Madison County.

This area is very diverse, and very middle class due to the jobs generated at large local operations like Toyota, Polaris, NASA and Redstone Arsenal.

And the atmosphere here is so superior to the city attitudes experienced in most places we've lived. Everyone we've run into has treated us with great respect and courtesy.

The "kids" would most likely do well in either Birmingham or Huntsville--socially or for the jobs. The question is whether they want to live in a medium size city or a larger city? I would tend to lean toward Huntsville not for just today but for the future.

Our 8 year old has been in private schools her whole life, but the Madison County Schools are excellent--comparable curriculum. Birmingham area has some great schools too, but the neighborhoods where they're located will be substantially more expensive than in Madison County.

Huntsville has one large hospital and one medium size hospital. The large hospital has taken over Athens, Decatur and Muscle Shoals' hospitals and others--choosing to rent money losing hospitals from counties rather than buy them. Put'em all together and Huntsville Hospital is one monster hospital chain. There is also a lot of genetic medical research being done in the Research Park in Huntsville.

Needless to say Birmingham's medical community is fantastic--and maybe even overlooked as being as great as it is. I still wonder how a low income state has funded such a magnificent medical complex. UAB is essentially a hospital that happens to own a 22,000 student university as a secondary business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area