Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 07:22 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times

Advertisements

I don't know how to accomplish it, since so many of our best view areas are residential, but I wish the area took more advantage of its natural beauty and setting by having entertainment spots overlooking the city or hilly, green terrain to the south and east. We're not eating inside restaurants right now, but a few weeks ago we picked up a pizza at DeVinci's in Homewood and sat out on the lawn at the Vulcan and ate dinner while overlooking the city. It was really nice. I wish there were more restaurants and bars where we could do this, and especially with outdoor seating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 12:12 PM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I don't know how to accomplish it, since so many of our best view areas are residential, but I wish the area took more advantage of its natural beauty and setting by having entertainment spots overlooking the city or hilly, green terrain to the south and east. We're not eating inside restaurants right now, but a few weeks ago we picked up a pizza at DeVinci's in Homewood and sat out on the lawn at the Vulcan and ate dinner while overlooking the city. It was really nice. I wish there were more restaurants and bars where we could do this, and especially with outdoor seating.
Cosigned. The commercial area on Red Mountain toward Green Springs is criminally underutilized.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
I would delete that Birmingham reddit sub. That site has turn into a ****show. 80% of threads on there has nothing to do with Birmingham proper. The majority of posters on there don't live within the city, so they really not in tune with what's going on and most of them don't care to be honest. It should be call SuburbanBirmingham. I know it was created by suburban folks, so I shouldn't be disappointed at the level of "out of touch" it has become. Just look at the sub header. They still refuse to change or remove it at all.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:47 PM

51 posts, read 50,190 times
Oh.... I got one.
Move the Barons from AA to AAA and the Bulls back to the ECHL or to the AHL. Most minor league teams in our peer cities play in the top minor league divisions. We play alongside cities a tier (or two) below us. For example, I'd rather have the Bulls playing against Atlanta and Charlotte instead of Evansville and Peoria... teams that represent cities the size of Tuscaloosa. If the Havoc had any sense, they'd look to move up a division too. If we are going to be the minor league capital of the world, at least max out as far as playing in the highest minor leagues available.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:02 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter 1977 View Post
Oh.... I got one.
Move the Barons from AA to AAA and the Bulls back to the ECHL or to the AHL. Most minor league teams in our peer cities play in the top minor league divisions. We play alongside cities a tier (or two) below us. For example, I'd rather have the Bulls playing against Atlanta and Charlotte instead of Evansville and Peoria... teams that represent cities the size of Tuscaloosa. If the Havoc had any sense, they'd look to move up a division too. If we are going to be the minor league capital of the world, at least max out as far as playing in the highest minor leagues available.

There was an attempt at moving up to AAA in the late 80s. I remember the local sports press, namely those hacks at the Birmingham News being wishy-washy about it. Today, it would be fantastic and well-deserved. Birmingham pretty much smokes the rest of the Southern League in terms of attendance. And I'm pretty sure, we'd draw even more if we were playing AAA in Regions Field.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
how does regions field compare to AAA ballparks? are they pretty similar in size?

also, who makes that decision? i assume not the barons management...

Old 08-05-2020, 10:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
how does regions field compare to AAA ballparks? are they pretty similar in size?

The White Sox AAA team is in Charlotte. I doubt they will be moving up anytime soon.

Out of 160 minor league teams (all three levels), Birmingham came in at 31. Ahead of Birmingham are (24) AAA teams and (7) AA teams out of 30 teams in AA.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/0...ce-by-average/

Last edited by mcalumni01; 08-05-2020 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

I think Regions field fairs very well compared to most minor league parks as noted in the link MC posted. Being new helps of course. But, having been to a decent handful around the country, Regions is on my nice list.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:54 PM

51 posts, read 50,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
The White Sox AAA team is in Charlotte. I doubt they will be moving up anytime soon.

Out of 160 minor league teams (all three levels), Birmingham came in at 31. Ahead of Birmingham are (24) AAA teams and (7) AA teams out of 30 teams in AA.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/0...ce-by-average/
By "they" I assume you mean the Barons? In that case, I'm definitely now rooting for the next MLB expansion team to go to Charlotte instead of Nashville. Maybe in that scenerio, the current Charlotte AAA team could move here (of course we'd rename them the Barons and treat them like a continuation of our current AA team) and our current AA Southern League team could move somewhere else (like Mobile). Would be the perfect scenario for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area