Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 02:30 PM

30 posts, read 59,207 times

Advertisements

Responding to a few of the questions and comments above (and thank you very much for the insights and suggestions and cautions), here's some more detail.

We've ruled out TN and FL (neither appeal to us for a few reasons although my daughter is considering Vanderbilt U). We also are avoiding the east coast because we have no desire to be in hurricane alley. Ditto certain parts of the midwest due to tornado alley. (We love parts of the Bay Area for its climate and setting but it's way too expensive and CA is not an area we'll settle in because of taxes, fires, earthquakes, water/drought, and the generally stand-offish culture). We'd considered Austin but the prospect of living in the "new" Silicon Valley (having lived in the real one) isn't appealing.

As for colleges and planning, weirdly she is very interested in Sampson U, Auburn, and a few others I can't think of as I zip this off. She's a "planner" and has been researching schools for a year. It's who she is. We roll with it. Also, one of the big issues we may have is that she may want to live at home during her undergrad years.

We're in New England right now having lived in several states over the years (east coast, west coast, midwest) due to my husband's work. (BTW, commuting isn't an issue except that we need access to an airport that can reasonably get him to DC and NY). My daughter won't consider any schools in NE because she is not a fan of the region (at all). Half my family is from the south so I have some familiarity with the region. We've weighed pros/cons of several areas but I've always had a soft spot for Birmingham. I do admit to not having familiarity with Huntsville. For those who would decidedly recommend avoiding Birmingham at all costs for retirement I'd love to know some of the reasons.

The recommendations regarding Indian Springs is helpful. I'd had it on my list but haven't investigated. Ditto some of the differences in counties. I'm still pouring through earlier posts on some of the ups/downs of areas and counties which is helpful. If it was up to me I'd be out in the country with a huge plot of land and some chickens or I'd be in the hills of WV or NC with a cabin and a hundred acres. But that's not going to fly. I personally love the look of Vestavia Hills as it seems to combine my love of trees with some centrality/closeness to civilization.

Every time we pick up an area to think about we wind up rejecting it for some reason. Weirdly, Birmingham's housing stock (at least in some of the areas I've noted) is quite nice compared with other areas of the country. Ditto property taxes. Birmingham also has a decent quality of life and things (at least appear) accessible. We're tired of living in/around very large cities where it takes hours (and close to a hundred bucks) just to drive/park or take public transportation. We'd like to be in/around an area that allows us to actually enjoy it. And I'd definitely prefer never reaching that housing price cap. I'd prefer no higher than 650k and I see really decent homes in various neighborhoods for that amount.

I do take the concerns regarding governance and growth seriously. That's our biggest hiccup with Birmingham at this stage. I so appreciate the various perspectives etc. It helps me to narrow things so that when we visit I can be efficient. And the suggestions regarding traffic are especially welcome. Our current area is a parking lot at times. One of the many things I don't wish to replicate.

Again, that you for taking the time to share your perspectives and insights. And if folks have other areas of the south (or the country) they like better I'd love to hear them. They may or may not align with the colleges that get into the top ten (or five) list but I'm open to suggestions. We want this to be our last move (having moved A LOT over the last 20 years).

Have a wonderful evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:05 AM

666 posts, read 517,571 times
Given your stipulations, price point, and that your daughter is going to Vandy, why would you rule out Nashville? What about north Atlanta. It's far from being in the big city but you get tons of amenities and is very nice, woodsy, and growing rapidly constantly bringing a plethora of newness. Arguably closer to Auburn too.

And I think you meant Samford University.

But yeah I think Vestavia would be your best bed.. Or if you want to be a little further out, you can get alot of house in Greystone which is a golf/country club gated community.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,990,529 times
What schools are you looking at?

Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 AM

450 posts, read 337,375 times
I live in Homewood and can't recommend it enough.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:10 PM

136 posts, read 117,074 times
Just chiming in as a recent transplant myself (although different life stage). My SO and I enjoy the area quite a bit. It’s not booming like other southern cities, for now at least, but it has enough amenities to keep you busy without the headaches that come with high-growth metros. For your price range, there’s a wide variety of great housing options.

I’ll echo what others have said. If I had your budget, Homewood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area